• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Ag the next drop?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Ag the next drop?

Ok all on here know I like history. Some comment on another thread got me thinking. Ag commodities are all low because of high inventories. Ok peas lentils no. I'll explain them later.
    It's dry across all of western Canada.
    Interest rates is a difference from the past.
    Farmers have high debt levels. High land values and high high rents.
    Does any one else not think 1984 all over again.
    We lost lots back then.
    Oh but we have new insurance programs to help.
    Take a Alberta sask man drought.
    Take low prices with drought.
    Take credit dry up do to banking problems, world wide.
    Dollar increases and prices drop.
    I'm a little concerned history is going to repeat.
    Comments welcome I'm back later. Alot less Canadians on the islands this winter. Plus Americans not as plentiful from the mainline.

Do have concern that low oil and natural gas prices will encourage Ag production around the world (fertilizer,irrigation,etc)
    In 1980's, governments flowed considerable support money through ad hoc type payments, present policy is to rely more on subsidized production and revenue insurance.
    On current farm still an incentive to produce more than we might without these subsidized programs.

Comment

The cure for low prices is higher production......

When it comes to certain grain commodities it seems like we already have one foot on the slippery slope....

Comment

Only the small percentage of us who are in production agriculture have much interest in higher prices.
        For the rest, whatever level that keeps us producing or attracts imports is enough.

Comment

Sky not falling yet.Fertilizer was cheaper this year for me.Feul tanks full at 52 cents .Contracted peas for 10 off combine.No snow but froze in wet.May be a drought coming or may be a bumper crop.Cattle still profitable.kind of glad to be a farmer these days compated to other industries.The glass is half full for me.

Comment

Pour what ever is in your half full glass into one half the size..... presto your back to a full glass. That's right, keep lowering your expecations. Before you know it..... you won't even have a glass, or a need for one.

Just kidding, or am I?

Comment

I'm a realist. Glass half full or half empty doesn't mean a thing to me.
              Lentils and peas the last time they were this high the buyers by fall played games with grade. Oh their not a one but a extra three we will buy them. Lots of processors left the building.
              No one like to over pay for goods ever.
              Time will tell but one hot day today! Sun burnt a bit.
              Less Canadians here this year and mid west Americans.
              Hm yes farming is good.
              Look to the USA farmer and a year later it's us.
              They will help the farmer Trudeu will tell us like his father F&&ok off.
              Aloha.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...