• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Discussion Paper on the Use of Variety Eligibility Declarations

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Discussion Paper on the Use of Variety Eligibility Declarations

I have read comments in other threads but I thought it might to usefull to get your comments on the CGC Discussion Paper.

The paper itself can be found at:

http://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/Pubs/discussions/ved/introduction-e.htm

Thoughts????

Charlie;

The CGC is preparing us for GMO wheat...

Unlicensed wheat is a red herring... the CWB already requires a declaration on this issue... and the legal ramifications are really no different in the proposed new CGC system... unless regulations that are draconian and overbearing are created to punish offenders of genetic uniformity rules.

QUALITY is not being enhanced... Even Canadian Milling quality must still be checked the normal way every other country in the world does it... surprise surprise... they check the actual QUALITY... not the DNA!

We can regulate ourselves right out of the ability to remain globally competitive in the production and handling of our western Canadian grain... which will make many other Countries very happy... maybe even Ontario, Creston B.C., ... THe PNW US... about everyone else happy... !

But this will drive "value adding" and "diversification" so we all should be happy!

Comment

I find it interesting that I do not know anyone who wants to grow GMO wheat. Why is there such a push to get it cleared.

Comment

rain, amen to that fact. You know maybe this is a place the henbents, kernels,tom4cwb, and boones can work together. This concept needs to be driven out of north america and sold into europe where their rightous indignation has a more militant voice. Why do you think Bayer, Syngenta, Monsanto, & Dupont(Pioneer HyBred) are trying to build a beachhead here. (Sorry for the military analogy I'm getting in the moment here) They know for the most part we are a bunch of milquetoast when it comes to authority. And are used to rejecting dumb ideas after the fact. We truly are the petrock consumers of the world.

Comment

Why don't we put together a paper, online?

Parsley

Comment

parsley, let's discuss it. How about this one, "North West Grange". Should I save the domain name? What do you think. But our credo will be based on no personal attacks only the facts.

Comment

Question, Who is "The GRAIN GROWERS OF CANADA" speaking for when they say they represent oilseed and grain groups across Canada. I see a few different groups getting their rightminded (bio lip service)people on side and leading some of our stakeholder groups. One leader of a seed group that comes to mind will be a teflon doormat when it comes to standing up for his, growers concerns about GM wheat. It is our job as disenters to find out their funding formula, and drive a stake through their collective hearts. Last year it was an import from Australia with the CGC that was an apologist for this disaster with an expense account. Keep your heads up fellows. The love children of I. B. Farben dance among us.

Comment

You understand literary license I presume? I thought I better ask.

Comment

Fellas; I B Farben was the German Industrial giant that was fractured into many different entities, the most familiar to us would be BASF, they have led the charge in chemical involvement of agriculture.

Comment

Boone,

Is Bayer another spawn of I.B. Farben? They have been a player since before the 2nd or was it even the first world war. It would appear that the pharmaceutical and agri chemical businesses exhibit a certain kinship.

Comment

Ration-Al; yes IGFarben was broken up into 12 sub companies by the Allied forces at the end of WWII bayer was part of the area managed by England the rest are diversified as well.

Comment

Boone,

What I heard was that Bayer was already diversified into many daugher companies many of whom were doing business in the USA. Prior to WWII these American divisions which previously had very German sounding names were renamed so as not to be recognizable as German entities. These businesses continued to operate right through WWII and beyond doing quite well as a result of the war. Some go so far as to insinuate that these business entities may have provided financial support to the Hitler regime leading up to the war.

Are you aware of any supporting evidence of these allegations?

Comment

Ration-Al the last time I heard they were quite recently being forced to pay reperations to holocaust victims for being basically worked to sickness and death, as forced labour from concentration camps. Which is quite ironic as one of the largest peace time associations that evolved was with Bunge of Argentina for making of chemicals. ( the Bunge grain handling firm was owned by two old and wealthy families. The Borns and Hirschs'with the latter and maybe the former being Jewish).

Comment

ration-al; just to be sure for the record this last line wasn't an anti semetic statement it was truly in regards to the intanglement of multinationals, and you never no the why and the where of business. It certainly wasn't pro/or anti anything, but you would have to know me I guess.

Comment

Boone;

Spent some time talking with the CGC today... if the CGC would concentrate on creating a dependable commodity for domestic and export marketing... which is the mandate the Canada Grain Act specifies... we would gain much!

Specific milling specs should be met... and if AC Barrie meets those specs and Superb won't, the Superb should be down graded.

I am afraid the we are still depending on the big blender effect to create quality... which is fine if the intake of grain is quality based... instead of genetically based.

Weather is the biggest problem in creating milling problems... ALESEN was just fine for CWRS milling in the #1 and #2 grades. SO just exactly why is it being deregistered... when we despirately need a fusarium resistant CWRS wheat?

If there is a problem in the 3CWRS... fine... put a restriction on the registration that requires a falling number be done... on intake at the primary elevator... like every other purchaser in the world requires! If a flour colour test needs to be done, then do that too! THis is not rocket science... too bad we are swept up in a system that says is quality based... yet won't even test for primary qualities when grading a farmers grain!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...