• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 ways to calculate fair rental rates

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 ways to calculate fair rental rates

found this article good and it doesn't involve the coffee shop.
    Often, people use what others are charging or paying in the local area,” said Dyck. “Following this approach has pitfalls because the rate may not be reflective of the soil productivity on the farm or there may be a difference between what was rumoured and what was actually paid.”

In Alberta, cash rent and crop share are the two most common rental arrangements. Cash rent is common because the lease is simple, the rent is fixed, and the landowner does not have to make any operating or marketing decisions. The tenant has more control over cropping decisions, and can benefit from higher profits
    A useful method to estimate a cash rent is called a “crop-share equivalent,” or the rental rate that would be received from a typical 75:25 crop-share lease. Computing the rate using this method requires estimates of long-term average yields in the area, and realistic prices for the coming year.

One way is to start with crop insurance yields and insurable prices, said Dyck.

“Then apply a discount of 25 per cent for variability in weather, yields, and prices since the tenant is assuming all of these risks.”

The formula is: (yield x 25 per cent) x price x 75 per cent. Complete this calculation for at least four major crops grown in the area and take the average.

Another simple method is a percentage of gross returns. Compare cash rents in your area over the past five to 10 years against gross returns of crops that were grown. In many areas, cash rent is approximately 20 to 24 per cent of gross returns.

Crop-share rentals are becoming less common because many landowners do not want to take on yield or price risk. These leases are typically 75 per cent tenant: 25 per cent landlord. If fertilizer and chemicals are shared, then the lease shifts to 66 per cent tenant: 33 per cent landlord.

A general rule of thumb is “calculate, then negotiate.”

Tenants should know their cost of production and calculate the potential profit before establishing a fair price. While money plays a role, other factors will come into the negotiations such as land quality, location, compatibility, communications, and honesty.

I like #1.

Now the only thing to throw a wrench in this is 2016. Lets say a parcel comes up that some BTO farmed shitty. My thinking is shitty farmed for years. Sloughs joined sloughs and never sprayed.

Zero for one.

25 for two.

and finally 40 in the third.

So what do others do for land rental.

Now if your renting form a Bank or Foreign investor take off another 20 a acre. Sorry boys I will always pay a local guy more than some out of province or country farmer.

Comment

So if there is some land for rent that is in poor shape and now some foreign investor owns it they should pay the tenant $20 to farm it. Sounds about right

Comment

In farm program I spoke to a widow in Alberta who rented her land out for the first 10 bushel per acre. The overage was the renter's. So if he was productive, he benefitted and if he was crappy there was nothing left. She just needed dependable income and didn't want to police crop share. Pretty smart lady, I'd say.

Comment

No if the BTO was picked over me and I was told they had a great farmer who just happened to be the done BT. Yea they ****ed up they can pay. I don't need it.

Comment

"Talk" of $100/AC around here.
            Have at it and good luck to you, you're gonna need it.

Comment

You can calculate on profit but you can not expect the landlord to pay for another farmers adiction to new equipment.My one quaternary of lease pasture went up 15%.Got the letter day after election.Letter said cultivated land rentals are 44 bucks an acre average.Good land 78 bucks an acre.I would think government does not own the best dirt in the province either.Typically government rent is a bit cheaper to market also.

Comment

If it's a local guy yea ill pay a better rent if it's a speculator who got took not even close to paying big rent!

Comment

A good article but.. In our area the landowner says take it or leave it. You got 5 seconds.

Comment

Good point Blackpowder.

Comment

Just to play devils advocate! Three years drought what would the land lord say in spring of year 4. Oh wait your not renting at $100 no more your long gone now what's the next guy going to pay! It's easy if you ha rain and can grow lentils but throw in some shit show years and all the big talk goes away!

Comment

So what are you saying sask3, farming maybe isn't so good for guys whether it's sask or Manitoba when you have multiple crop losses? Why is that? Maybe inputs too high,
                        Crap insurance no good no agristability to speak of?

Comment

Government of sask I would say broke the land rental agreements. They raised the rent by 30% when it's supposed to be by grain prices.
                          Have grain prices risen 30%?
                          Thanks freeride gotta pay the bills some how hey?

Comment

well what I saw around here on land bank land, they needed to raise rates . not fair to compete against farmers being subsidized by govt on land bank land , and then they pay 30% more rent to neighbors . what were you renting from them ?

Comment

This isn't a problem for me because I'm too ****ing lazy to farm anymore than I own.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...