• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Go time southeast of regina

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be seeding Monday. The soil is warm, weeds are growing and the potholes are dry. It's not unusual for us to start the last week of April and we're in NW sask. I've had more late seeded crops freeze just out of the ground on may long than early seeded stuff too small to handle it. I'd rather seed in April than June.

Comment

Why the hotshot neighbour comment? Who cares what the calendar says. Most people are usually jealous that they aren't ready and use every excuse to justify why the are not seeding. People in southern Alberta have been seeding literally for more then a month already. How many times have you had to reseed a cereal crop due to freezing off and dying? Canola would be a different story

Comment

Hotshot: definition- highly successful and aggressive; an exceptionally able person.

Antonym: amateur

Comment

I could and would like to but I won't start yet. We're not that big. A4A, does that make me an amateur?

Funny how things change, in Dad's time they used to wait for the wild oats to come up and turn it out with the discer while seeding then even double harrow sometimes....no wonder soil drifted sometimes.

Then there were the guys who would wait for the leaves to pop on the poplars. I was putting the water hose in Dept. of Hiways burrow pit on our land yesterday and the trees have the long fuzzy things on them now.....leaves won't be far off. Not that we ever waited for leaves, lately anyway.

But for us, other than peas/lentils and wheats it's just a little too early right now. Vvalk is right and my Pappy said so in the past and last year I also had a bit of wheat turn orangish after the frost. The growing point (crown) is below the surface anyway.

Tomorrow I am going to take the soil's temperature, because we had a poor crop we dont have an abundance of trash like some of the previous years. Dark bare ground will likely be warmish...anyone else try?

Do whats right for you and your farm, don't worry about other people's opinions or what they are doing. What ever you do, do it safe...take care!!!
          Last edited by farmaholic; Apr 20, 2016, 17:12.

Comment

Farmaholic. Hear you loud and clear and completely agree, nobody knows the best the time to seed unless you have that magic crystal ball. Earlier may be better than late but I suspect like most things...in moderation. Not too early, not too late. I bet there are not too many guys that truly get wound up if their neighbors are out of the gate first, but I love how it does make for good coffee shop banter.

I know there isn't any amateurs on agriville! We let those guys go on some other forum!!

Comment

Neighbours here were seeding wheat today. Land dried out quick after that 1.75" moisture on the weekend. Also the first day the grass really grew - doubled in length in a day.

Comment

Ado - do you have much water up around Table hill ?
                We still have water running and building up in spots . Most are just drying up a bit now .
                Will see after the weekend snow / rain before we decide here . Most likely 7-10 days here

Comment

In our area, you seed as soon as the soil supports your machinery. It could be May 10th or May 28th. Never seen april seeding here. Soil temp.? Never the luxury. You go when the soil is dry enough, no matter the soil temp.

looks like about two weeks some land may be ready, but with the cool off coming, I am guessing mid May at this point. Snow has to finish melting, creeks have to quit running.

Comment

Big water still all ICE covered, snow in fence line shade, frost not out, water on hills. COOL down 6-8 C for highs, below at night, near zero drying for us. Could be a month yet.

Comment

-6 here right now

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...