• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rain or no rain that is the question of the day!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As is with any drill I think ground speed.is the biggest factor in consistant seed.depth. Travel slower so the soil flows around the opener and not chucked into the second and third row furrows. Set the seed down into moisture and see how much dirt is covering it....

We quit seeding Saturday at noon because we were done the coarse.grains and needed to move onto shallow seeded. .....I thought it was too dry and didn't want to either bury it or seed into dry ground where some might come up and other would have to wait for a rain....and who knows how long that could have been. Then there are staging issues and canola is the last crop you want to let stand so parts of the same field can catch up.

I thought that if it didn't rain I could always stick something else in your that I could seed deeper. Once the canola is planted you are kinda committed.

We will be good to go now (after this rain event). Some is going into flax stubble and that was horribly dry (ya I know canola on flax isnt the best managent practice but who ever said I was a good farmer?)

Good luck with your attempt and decision.
    Last edited by farmaholic; May 11, 2016, 00:41.

Comment

Agree with farma - go slow
      We are usually seeding canola at 4.5 to 4.7
      ,!with these conditions we are down to 3.9 to 4mph we are getting more consistent packing and seed depth. Finding good moisture 1 in and getting er in about 3/4.
      The last day the ground is getting a bit lumpy in spots now.
      Like you sawfly - no rain and relentless winds.

Comment

Not bragging but we had a tremendous rain, 1.6 inches, an udescribable rain. I'm east of Assiniboia where conditions weren't ideal like a lot places, but this will go along ways. Started seeding canola when I heard the rain was coming. Have 320 left so very thankful it did materialize. Other drill was on peas so maybe now can lift it up a bit. Some places west of Assiniboia got on the neighbourhood of 3. What ever you got be thankfull, cuz I'm sure there are ones that still need.
        I do hope SF3 didn't get any so he can be the only guy in the province rolling. LOL

Comment

Mud sucks and that's a fact. But the 1é4 inch will join the layers and we will mud on. Get the Pun.

Comment

This is amazing. This rain may well kill my farm. I wish I could rejoice, I really do, but I simply can not. this is enough already. Seeding plans now up in the air. It will be a long while before the fields are ready. None were before this stupid rain. Creeks running again, soil is sloppy mud.

Glad for those who can be happy about it, but for my farm, it is nothing but terrifying flipping stress. Again.

Comment

Fjlip, my apologies if my post was insensitive to your local situation, wasn't my intention. Sincerely hope you and everyone else get at least some of the weather they need to establish a crop with potential this year. Good luck

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...