• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada's Position at the WTO

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.igc.org.uk/gmr/gmrsummary.htm

OUTLOOK FOR 2006/07

WHEAT: Forecast world wheat production in 2006 is now 594m. tons, 6m. more than last month. Favourable spring weather is improving yield expectations in much of the EU. Winterkill damage may be less severe than previously thought in Russia while in Ukraine conditions for replanting with spring grains are good. The state of winter wheat in the US southern plains remains poor despite recent rains, but prospects are improving elsewhere, and conditions for spring wheat planting are good in both the US and Canada. Unseasonable rains in India have damaged the crop about to be harvested, but conditions in China are generally favourable, with the crop placed higher than before. Good rains are expected to boost crops in North Africa and Near East Asia, although Syria remains too dry. World wheat consumption in 2006/07 is forecast to fall by 9m. tons, to 611m. With less feed quality wheat available, improved supplies of other feedstuffs and the effects of avian influenza on poultry consumption, feed use of wheat could be sharply lower than last year in the EU, the CIS, Canada and Far East Asia. Food use, however, will continue slowly to increase in many developing countries. World wheat trade in 2006/07 is expected to rise by 2m. tons, to 111m., with both China and India likely to import more than this year. The CIS and Near East Asia may also purchase more, but imports by the EU and North Africa are forecast lower. Lower export availabilities in Russia and Ukraine will boost demand from other suppliers. While overall supplies in the major exporters should remain ample, availabilities of premium milling wheats will depend on good spring wheat harvests in North America. Global stocks at end 2006/07 are forecast to fall by 17m. tons to 119.m., including 45m. (52m.) in the five major exporters.

Comment

Now that is a LONG Range forecast - two full harests away. But I like it. We need to do what we can to increase the 19M.

Rod

Comment

Vader;

Did you catch PM Stephen Harper's Speach?

http://www.conservative.ca/EN/1004/41879

Prime Minister stands up for Canadian farmers
        06 April 2006
        Notes for an Address by The Right Honourable Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada For Delivery During an Emergency Debate on the Crisis in Canadian Agriculture

"...We’re also going to readdress what has long been a sore point for many western grain farmers – not having the freedom to make their own marketing and transportation decisions.

This Government is going to empower these producers by allowing them to decide for themselves if they want to participate in the Canadian Wheat Board or make alternate arrangements.

No discussion of agriculture in this country would be complete, Mr. Speaker, without mention of diversification - as in the longer run, Canadian farmers are going to have to begin looking for new market opportunities.

And this Government is committed to facilitating this necessary diversification of the industry.

As those who make their living from the land already know, there is a fast growing market for agriculture products in the area of renewable fuels such as ethanol and bio-diesel.

My Government intends to merge environmental goals with those of agriculture by requiring an average of 5 percent renewable fuel content in Canadian fuel by 2010.

This will not only help to lower emissions and reduce greenhouse gases, but also give consumers a buffer against rising petroleum prices.

By encouraging these fuels we will create new incentives for much-needed investment in rural Canada.

And finally, Mr. Speaker, this Government is going to get serious about pressing Canada’s trade issues on the international stage.

We believe that all of our agriculture sector must be protected by strong international - not just free - but also, fair trade.

In order to secure free and fair trade, this Government will support rules-based trading systems like the WTO which we believe are especially crucial to interests of country’s like our own that depend on exports.

The future of Canadian agriculture and agri-food products is also dependent on enhanced market access.

To that end, we will support the phased reduction of all trade-distorting barriers and the elimination of all agriculture export subsidies."

Now, Don't you think Vader... you should be working on marketing choice at the CWB BOD meeting in the week coming up?

Comment

Tom, I hesitate to respond to anything you say for fear of ASTOUNDING you.

I believe that allowing producers to export their grain in containers would have little or no impact on CWB marketing, this being the first criteria for the issuance of an export licence. This would allow producers to find niche markets.

Comment

I wonder why an organization who claims to be the best is considered by our Prime Minister to be a "Sore Point".

I guess that's what happens when you are legislated to be a customer as opposed to showing true value to keep customers.

MBFarmer, you'll also note supply management protection at any cost - the cost being your ability to export will come second. The point I was trying to make earlier is both supply management and the position of the CWB are to not allow, as the PM puts it, "Fair Trade".

Comment

Vader,

All the best in your quest to respect those who you are supposed to serve.

Hope can come back to your roots;

1. Do unto others as you would have done unto you,

2. Do not do unto others as you would not have others do unto you;

* Do not infringe upon the Rights, Freedoms or Property of others, and;

* Keep all contracts willingly, knowingly and intentionally:

** That for every wrong there is a remedy,

*** The end does not justify the means,

**** Fundamental principals cannot be set aside to meet the demands of convenience or to prevent apparent hardship in a particular case,

***** Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking the law,

****** Two wrongs do not make a right, and

******* One can enlarge the rights of the people, however they cannot be taken away without their informed consent.

Please take these back to the CWB BOD, and remind them of the CWB Bylaw obliging the Board of Directors to follow the spirit and intent of these Common Law Principals!

God Bless Canada!

Comment

Tom, Blah, blah,blah,blah,

does the container idea work for you or not?

Comment

W of 9 , CWB is only a sore point with Harper's buddy Geoge W. and the U.S. wheat growers. I guess they understand that it is a benefit to us even if you don't. As for T4 , the blathering about freedom and commandments is becoming annoying.

Comment

Vader,

"I believe that allowing producers to export their grain in containers would have little or no impact on CWB marketing, this being the first criteria for the issuance of an export licence."

Are you prepared to support that statement at the Board table?

Parsley

PS,
                    agstar, we don't want you to be annoyed.

Go to

File

and click on

Close.

Comment

Ever since I started farming some 35 years ago, trade liberalization and the elmination of tarriffs has been held out as the "Holy Grail" of agriculture. It was a given that once this was achieved we would all return to prosperity. While it might be a laudable goal...it ain't going to happen. As was mentioned earlier the U.S. and Europeans have a vested interest in keeping things as they are. Food security has become an important item in the past few years, but above that the entire farm economy is based on those subsidies. They have been built into land values which are the primary security that banks hold against farmer loans. Over and above all this is the fact that in the U.S. system of government, these lightly populated agricultural states are important especially as far as the senate is concerned. No administration is going to commit hari kari by alienating the agriculture sector and losing valuable senate seats in the process. Even if a deal comes from the current WTO round I'm sure they will find away around it if and when its needed. The fact is that domestic politics will always trump international agreements especially by countries that are powerful enough to flaunt the rules. That's just the way it is.

Comment

Parsley, I am prepared to ask that question at the board table.

Comment

Vader;

What are your core values?

Does the container issue line up with them?

It is interesting that the bylaws of the CWB COde of COnduct are bla bla bla to you. DId you honestly sign it?

Agstar77; you honestly despise these core values of our heritage and society? If you have children, wouldn't these values be the key ones to teach them:

If you have business relationships; aren't these the rules you would need to have an honest valued long term productive result? Aren't these the standards you and your family need to have?

Comment

Vader,

I'm pleased there will be some movement.It will come with or without the Board and a more reasonable stance will help the optics of the Board. It might even save the Board.

The CWB's legal counsel have already determined in writing, that neither price nor volume affects marketing by the CWB, so you will essentially be endorsing what legal counsel has already stated.

Profitable sales that conventional farmers cannot access must not only be tolerated, but encouraged. Every bushel of grain we can sell out of the country is good for the entire country, not just good for the farmer.

I m hopeful with this timely advancement for farmers. Without it, both the Board and an unresponsive Government would have been looking forward to a somewhat well-designed living nightmare.

Parsley

Comment

Parsley:

Right on.

We must get past the CWB theology that the pie is only so big... and that it is split amongst X number of growers; If one grower gets more... then the others automatically get less.

WE can and will grow the pie bigger... and will have more to share... if we aren't so greedy.

I believe this is the biggest problem with CWB "single desk" policy... and why it dooms the CWB to failure if maintained.

Comment

Vader,

You said you would ask the question. I presume the question will be somewhat like this:

I move to issue export licenses to farmer applicants.

Will YOU support the question or just ask it?

Parsley

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...