• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB forward selling '07 crop?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB forward selling '07 crop?

From the July 5 Western Producer:

"The Canadian Wheat Board says farmers could be on the hook for millions of dollars in damage claims if the government goes ahead with an Aug. 1, 2007, implementation of an open market for barley.

In an affidavit filed in Federal Court June 19, CWB chief operating officer Ward Weisensel said the board has already been threatened with legal action by disgruntled buyers.

"I have been advised by one of Canada's biggest barley customers that they intend to hold the CWB responsible for any losses which the customer may incur as a result of the CWB's inability to fulfil its contractual obligations," he said in the document."

I don't get it. The CWB act clearly states that the cwb can only sell grain once it has been offered by farmers. It looks to me as if the cwb has forward sold, in this case, barley to Canadian malting companies before securing supplies from farmers. To date farmers haven't contracted malt barley for the '07/'08 crop year. Why does Weisensel think that farmers are responsible for any losses the cwb creates by breaching its act? The individual directors along with cwb management that OKed these sales are the ones to pay for these losses. IMHO

"The CWB act clearly states that the cwb can only sell grain once it has been offered by farmers."

That's interesting now isn't it?

Comment

The cwb is in tough on this one. They hopelessly underpriced the barley and now want someone else to pay. We've been paying with lower than normal returns for far too long. Legal action only proves what will come out in the {wash}news when the books are looked at. Liberals and Ndp don't really care about agriculture or farmers in general,-just the jobs we create for the economy.

Comment

the poeple that persold a crop without a contract to deliver should be held accountable. The CWB thinks that we are a sacrafical lamb and will take any price that gets thrown or way. Maybe let the CWB supporters deliver the grain to make up this shortfall NOT ME!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...