• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber's Commentary on DTN

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber's Commentary on DTN

Politics and Grain: The Sword of Damocles Will Fall – But where?

The Sword of Damocles is a frequently used to denote an unstable situation; one in which the onset of misfortune is controlled by a fragile trigger or chance.

For those following the ongoing saga of Canadian grain marketing and the Government’s attempt to free up barley marketing for western Canadian farmers, you know that it has been riddled with more twists and turns than a snake with heartburn.

In March 2007, the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food held a plebiscite to obtain barley producers' preferences for marketing barley. Sixty-two percent of the farmers who voted in the barley plebiscite preferred the removal of the CWB's monopoly.

The CWB primarily agreed with that number on March 28. The results of the barley plebiscite announced today are not overly surprising. The Canadian Wheat Board (CWB) has been surveying farmers every year for the past 10 years and these results appear to be consistent with our annual findings. Ken Ritter, Chair, Canadian Wheat Board – March 28, 2007

After the vote, the Government tried to remove the barley monopoly by regulation or an Order in Council, which would have given farmers the option to sell directly to malt companies and export markets.

The CWB then asked the courts to review the legality of the federal government's attempts to remove barley from the board's “single desk." Friends of the CWB, who received financial backing from the provincial NDP governments of Saskatchewan and Manitoba, also contested whether the federal government had the authority to use regulations to end the barley monopoly.

On July 31, a Federal Court judge the government needed to put the change before Parliament. The Conservatives have a minority position in the Canadian legislature. For the motion to pass they would require help from an Opposition party and the probability of that happening soon is next to nil.

There are three outcomes, in my opinion, of this debacle. Only one is the right answer. Choose wisely.

1) The CWB actually listens to farmer’s wishes and loosens the monopoly.

2) The Prime Minister appoints a new Minister of the CWB next week.

3) Western Canadian farmers become more determined than ever to rid themselves of the “Nanny State” environment in which they operate.

What the CWB did not measure when they went down this path is the outright contempt from farmers who believe they should have the opportunity to market a commodity, grown on their land and with their own money, however and whenever they choose. Today, even ardent supporters of the CWB are now second guessing their commitment to the single desk – so much so that they are calling again for another vote, with only two choices – but this time for wheat and barley.

I believe the Sword of Damocles will fall; however, where most feel that the Agriculture Minister may be chosen as the fall guy, in the end it will be the CWB who suffers the wrath of the cold steel. History has shown that when you hide behind an Iron Curtain long enough, sooner or later that iron will come back to haunt you.

The iron in Damocles’ sword is hanging by horsehair, and sooner rather than later, it will be farmers who ensure it falls. The CWB chose to die on the barley hill, when they really should have chosen wheat.

For the majority of western Canada farmers – yes a majority – whatever the CWB does now is too late.

But then vision has never been the CWB’s strongpoint over the past 10 years now has it?

Larry Weber can be reached at: larry@webercommodities.com

#3 is my choice!

And yours?

Parsley

Comment

3 is works for me, but if we get a new wheat board minister I want David Anderson.

Comment

Fransisco: You have got to be kidding.

What next...a plebiscite with six questions instead of the two (2) that should have been asked?

Anderson doesn't have a clue IMHO...just another politico with a predetermined agenda trying to 'suade everyone to his point of view. He wants democracy...CONservative style.

Comment

I agree.

He knows the file well. Is consistent. Actually listens to, reads and contacts farmers.

Parsley

Comment

Wilagro, in your opinion, what should the cwb do now?

Your opinions about the conservatives are duly noted,

but considering more farmers than not now have a serious hate on for the cwb, the likelihood of the export feed barley sales (taken away from the companies who negotiated them) being executed are close to zero (the 80 cents a bushel feed barley initial will see to that) and farmers are demanding the wheat dragon needs to be slayed now as well.

The only political friends the cwb have, are urban and eastern and any electoral shift in those places to the consevatives will mean the end of the cwb.

Again, what in your staunch cwb supporters opinion must the cwb do to avoid the executioner?

And to clarify,

I'm asking about the Canadian Wheat Board,

not the Conservatives, not the Prime Minister or the CWB Minister, not the Alberta Gov't, not anti-cwb farmers, not Morris Dorosh, not Larry Weber, not Cargill, not JRI, not the Americans,

but the CWB themselves as an organization!

Comment

Adam Smith: I can't speak for the CWB...you know that. In my opinion the CWB had better LISTEN to western Canadian farmers and explain their policies in language that farmers can understand. I used to chafe at the silly one-sided conditions imposed on delivery contracts and the penalties imposed for failure to comply but no equivalent penalties when the CWB didn't comply or really screwed up.

I don't bow to the CWB gods, but can see it as a powerful marketing tool for the whole farming industry if used properly.

When I read of $200,000 yearly contributions for this or that, it pisses me off...because that is OUR money that they are wasting. If research money is needed for any aspect of farming endeavour, then it should NOT come from the CWB as they were not organized for these functions.

The various wheat pools made the same mistakes and got away from their basic functions and tried to re-invent themselves leading to their eventual collapse and assimilation by the private grain trade. They didn't listen to the grassroots producers and indeed discounted their input as being uninformed.

Comment

Wow willy, I'm impressed, that was so un-troll like, we may actually be able to have a conversation.

You said, "In my opinion the CWB had better LISTEN to western Canadian farmers..."

Again in your opinion, has the cwb listened to Canadian Farmers very well so far?

also you said, "...and explain their policies in language that farmers can understand."

Same question here, have they explained to farmers why for instance winter wheat is discounted by nearly a buck a bushel, when everywhere else throughout the world winter wheat is equal to or more valuable than spring wheat?

What about the reasons for the fixed price basis levels? Every time the market rallies the cwb widens out the basis so the the price offered to fartmers never really reflects the price gain?

Just two examples that immidiatly come to mind.

Comment

There isn't a politician on the hill who knows the CWB file better than Anderson. That's why you're scared of him. The board thought they might be able to BS Strahl, they thought wrong. They know they can't BS Anderson.

Comment

Garry Breitkeeuz would make a good Ag Minister, too.

Comment

Francisco actually there is not a politician on the hill who Misunderstands the cwb file better than Anderson.

Comment

A politician who listens to reason and facts instead of fear mongering misinformation and bogus theories presented by self serving CWB bureaucrat's. Oh Anderson gets it, all too well.

Comment

Mustardman,

I have been watching David Anderson closely, and he has a firm grip on the reality of CWB management, CWB lack of consideration for "designated area" growers, resulting in the smear campaign by so many only because David does understand all too well CWB managmement tactics.

If you believe the CWB is dealing with growers with integrety, extracting a premium for us, and doing a good job of marketing our grain... I have some ocean front property in Killam, I could sell you!

When I first started investigating the CWB I did not want to believe that there are people working at the CWB AGAINST to best interests of "Designated Area" grain growers... the facts are that there are many who are there for themselves alone and hurt growers constantly.

The cover ups and insulting tactics used to cover up this striking lack of respect and integrety when dealing with grain growers; make the multi-nationals grain companies look like saints!

Mustardman... leave your blinders on if you must... just don't be surprised when your special CWB pet drowns in its own waste products created by these selfish and arrogant CWB managers that could care less one iota about respecting their neighbour.

I respect you enough to TRY to create and atmosphere where a upgraded CWB would be a viable business opportunity for your business... and David and I are on the same wave length... I have no doubt of this. We Judge by the fruits of peoples actions. Results are what count.

Comment

I am wondering why the Liberals come to power, take a big broom and clean out the Top Beaurocracts. Then they replace it with their own people who will implement their new policies and election promises.

When the Conservatives win, they leave the past regime in place to undermine them. Devine did that and it cost him big time.
                            Have you noticed ?

Comment

I am wondering why the Liberals come to power, take a big broom and clean out the Top Beaurocracts. Then they replace it with their own people who will implement their new policies and election promises.

When the Conservatives win, they leave the past regime in place to undermine them. Devine did that and it cost him big time.
                              Have you noticed ?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...