• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

makin' it work

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have got to be kidding tower?

Really? Are you serious? Is this all you've got?

You claim that "record profits being made by the multinationals when they buy and sell western Canadian crop production."

And as proof of this you hold up ADM's profits from the <b>processing</b> of <b>corn</b> in the <b>United States?!</b>

Comment

“Multinational” grain/food companies don’t do the Loss Leader thing. Each operating division needs to stand on its own. Period. They don’t sacrifice one for the sake of another. On this you’ll just have to trust me (having worked for one).

You may not think the CNMA quote you gave has much conviction. The statement is quite “political” – don’t you think? Even so, they are very “supportive” of the CWB in other ways behind the scenes. On this you’ll just have to trust me – again (having felt the impact of this personally).

Multinationals lobbying government (political parties) to influence the CWB risk management policies? I think you have a future in the Saskatchewan Coast Guard. Trust me.

Comment

chaffmeister, for some reason we keep getting sidetracked by red herrings,,,, tell us what you would do to improve the wheat board.

Comment

Would encourage someone to start a new thread. Wired high speed home/work and loading this thread takes a minute or two for me. Would image dial up would be on all morning process.

Comment

The problem with the CWB is it is costly - on 3 levels.

(1) Admin costs / overhead. Probably the smallest of the three. What makes matters worse is that operationally, most of what the CWB does is redundant - the grain handling firms and AEs are already dong it.

(2) Poor marketing performance. Real data shows CWB returns are well below what they should be. Pooling doesn't work.

(3) Lower non-CWB prices. Canola prices in particular are much lower in the fall than they should be as farmers sell and deliver canola for cash flow - because the CWB doesn't allow you to. They overdeliver which drives the basis wider.

Solutions:

(1) Allow farmers to avoid the redundant overhead costs (if they want) by making the CWB voluntary.
            (2) A voluntary CWB should solve the poor performance issue. For those that want to use the services of the CWB, the CWB should provide either cash prices or very small pooling periods. Pooling just doesn't work in this environment (and we're seeing that in spades this year, particularly in barley).
            (3) Between a voluntary CWB (a choice market) and a more market savvy CWB that uses price to allocate the grain handling "resource", the issue of low non-CWB prices due to over-delivery will be solved.

I know for a fact that Canada has lost investment in both primary and secondary processing due to the existence of the CWB and its control over the market. This means lost jobs and tax base at a local level. In the millions of dollars. A voluntary CWB or no CWB at all would be the solution - but I'm afraid to say, for some its already too late.

So the short answer to your question, make the CWB voluntary or make it go away altogether.

Comment

1. Make the CWB voluntary.

2. Separate the national licensing function AWAY from the CWB all together.

3. CWB ONLY perform the regional marketing function.

Parsley

Comment

Tower,

You Said: "Tom4cwb, I would think, before throwing the bible into an argument, about being certain that the words aren't a two edged sword. Perhaps "When pride cometh, then cometh shame: but with the lowly is wisdom"

Who is confiscating the property of whom?

Please explain why defending the oppressed... that the CWB "majority" takes advantage; of is wrong?

Where does the Bible say anywhere CWB "Single Desk" pooling is for the wise... and people who are not fearful... who need the opportunity to look after their own affairs... are fools?

Comment

Tower said, "for some reason we keep getting sidetracked by red herrings"

Coming from the guy who thinks that the money ADM makes from processing corn in the US is the same money they make from buying and selling prairie grain that means so much.

Comment

so very close

Comment

I like sardines better then red herring. I know you can do it.

Comment

but red herring are such a tasty diversion

Comment

Thank you Mr Ranger sir for being the 100th message on makin' it work. I hope it makes you feel special.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...