• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

makin' it work 2

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tower, it appears the "it" in "makin it work", to you, is the cwb.

for me and many others the "it" in "makin it work", is the entire market structure.

As it exists today, the cwb is a huge impediment that stands inbetween farmers and the opportunities farmers have in making the most out of our farms. Or more precicly it's the cwb's single desk authority that is the impediment.

Should you ever come to accept the notion that it's better to have the solid commitment and support of 30% of farmers and zero annomisity from the other 70% within a voluntary cwb/free market system, than the disdain of well over half the current forced membership, you might find that there is good value in being able to accomodating those who truly and freely choose the cwb as a marketing partner

That in my opinion is the cwb's only salvation.

Doing the best you can for those who freely choose the cwb will, give the cwb a new lease on life and the goodwill of all.

Continuing to fight everyone who opposes the monopoly will, in my opinion, only guarantee the cwb's demise.

Comment

Tower and friends- just wait until the next round of cwb elections. You're toast unless several pro choice people run against each other and your guy slips up the middle.

Comment

Further to Adam's comment, tower you once said that a big problem in your eyes is the number of changes that have been made to try and appease those of us who are not interested in being in the CWB tent. That will not change until you let us out of the tent.

We are not interested in being appeased, we simply want out. The status quo will not change our mind and neither will a bigger stick.

Your chances of running a successful business are a lot greater when you work with like minded individuals who want to work with you. Tieing differently minded people, who don't want to work with you to the CWB mast will not make the ship sail any better. The opposite is true, you start to take on water.

Comment

Chaff you don't get it . How do you expect the individual farmer to get cars to ship grain without going through a third party, considering the way the railways drag their feet and ignore or interpret rulings to satisfy themselves. Until we see open running rights nothing will change.

Comment

agstar - you don't get it. What's any of that got to do with the CWB?

You're saying that with the way it is right now you just about have to ship/sell to Viterra. And without the CWB, I guess you're saying you'll still have to ship/sell to Viterra.

Where is this great countervailing power the CWB is supposed to have over the nasty grain trade?

At least with freedom to go wherever with your grain, you're not shackled to the CWB/Viterra machines.

Comment

Ah, the old shell game again.

Those big mean railways are the problem right now, they are the reason we can't pay world values for your grain. We have to fight them tooth and nail. Then we will take on the multinationals. Don't ask us why your pro's will never match world values it's not our fault.

Keep grasping redstar.

Comment

agstar logic........

Railways are problematic working with the CWB.

Therefore

Railways will not be problematic working with 'more of the same' CWB.

That is logic from dumber than dumber.How many times did you repeat Grade three, agstar?

Parsley

Comment

Not as many as you repeated kidergarden.

Comment

multiple buyers should bring more competition and therefore better prices. my concern with that theory is that those same buyers are competing on the other end of the chain. what happens when they compete against each other for wheat sales and then base their elevator bids on those sales? prices will settle at some market equilibrium. The $60000 question is whether or not it's still better than CWB. Competing for grain handle should cause some cuts to elevation, handling costs, etc. Any comments?

Comment

agstudent

You ask

"what happens when they compete against each other for wheat sales "

The CWB does it all the time right in Canada!. They compete against Ontario all the time. We don't have a single in our own country.

Parsley

Comment

agstar,

Think about your answer, and answer yourself why it is a poor answer.

You will eventually figure it out.

Give yourself two full days, and if you haven't figured it out, email me and I'll tell you.

Parsley

Comment

Agstudent says, "what happens when they compete against each other for wheat sales and then base their elevator bids on those sales?"

If they make a sale without actually having secured the grain first or at the same time I would think that they would take an offsetting position on the futures market so that they are protected against any price movement until they secure said grain.

At the end of the day it is supply and demand that determine price. It's not determined any more by what price a grain company sold the grain for than it is by what it cost a farmer to produce it.

A company that tries to undersell the market by too much soon finds itself with no product to sell.

Good question.

Comment

And yes it is way better than the CWB which has to compete with no one for your grain. Any cross border price check verifies this in a nanosecond.

Comment

Tower and Agstar,

One of my real concerns about the CWB today, is the lack of real market signals that get back to "designated area" grain growers at the farm gate.

I believe this to be a principal problem with the Aussie system as well.

1.) How much grain has the CWB booked ahead/sold to consumers/CWB Agents; of our produce?

I know with my Canola how much commitment my farm has to the market.

Please explain how much of my wheat/barley has been pre-sold by the CWB/Agents for 07-08? How much for 08-09?

2.) What is it that shackles my mind... and bothers me; about the CWB buying barley from the domestic market TROUGH the Agents it owns... to procure feed barley?

Why through Agents of the Board... when the responsibility to "Designated Area" grain growers is to "maximise" growers real farm gate returns... NOT to increase Agents of the CWB's returns!

Why would the CWB instantly want to work elevation and system costs into the farm gate price... when higher returns are an alternative by the CWB buying directly from "Designated Area" growers in an open and transparent manner?

I feel very "disconnected" from the international wheat/barley market... What is going on with my grain...?

Comment

Look at the feed mills.

Here, the CWB decided NOT to market all the grain for Designated Area farmers. They allow the feed mills to go DIRECTLY to the farms to buy feed wheat/feed barley and then have it exported as feed.

IF the CWB gets more money through single-desking, why do they not market/pool this grain?

Nope! They decided to forego in favor of the feed mills.

In your case Tom, they have deciided to maximize profit for the companies a again.

So who makes that decision.... B of D

Why this decision?.......not in interest of producers, so what do the Directors gain from doing this?

Parsley

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...