• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ritz' Rodeo of Words

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agstar77

Any comments about the Alberta election? Will note the 2 political parties that supported retention of the status quo CWB didn't elect one candidate in rurual Alberta.

Interesting that recently elected governments in 2 provinces and represent 90 % of western Canadian barley production support Ritz's efforts. Their base of support is rural.

Comment

There were lots of young guys there. 17-25 year olds too.

Gerrid Gust was a young farnmer that spoke at Regina, good speaker, well dressed, gorgeous smile,(I'm old but not blind), aware of the issues, wanting change, a keen, keen farmer.

How can agriculture go wrong with guys like him. Farmering should hope Hollywood doesn't nab him.

And agstar, speaking of profits, Gust is having PRO fits every time he looks up the CWB's daily PRO.

Parsley

Comment

The only remark I will make about Alberta is they had about a 40 % turnout. The apathy was overwhelming. When only 40 % vote I don't think any issue interested them.

Comment

Gerrid's on the board of the wheat growers too not your average 30 year old.

Comment

I do not consider any farmer average, stubblejumper.

You have no idea what a wonderful lot they are, as also are you, because you are blinded by yourself.

Farmers are hard working, innovative, good community people. They are the most solitary co-operators imaginable.

They are inventive. Dependable. In tune with nature.

I admire them as a lot. All of them exceed average, stubble.

It is why farmers rate so high with Canadians.

Parsley

Comment

Agstar77

Interesting comment. Can I clip and paste your comments after the CWB director elections this fall?

Comment

CL , are you a moderator or do you have your own agenda? That type of comment neither stimulates comment or adds anything to the discussion. If you had asked whether voting turnout validates an election , I could accept it.

Comment

Agstar77,

What has the voter turnout been in the last few CWB elections?

What a spin.

Parsley... isn't an award in order there for Agstar77?

Comment

agstar, would you liken charliep's comment to,...let's see.... imagine scenario like this ..... Flaman sitting at the CWB's B of D's table, with his BIG LIBERAL hat on, reading his unbiased conferenced messaged instructions on his LPC blueberry, from trio Dion/ Goodale/Easter?

nah.

Charliep wasn't provided with a LPC blackberry.They don't have them in Alberta. lol

Parsley

Comment

agstar77

Fair enough.

Hopefully none of us get so wrapped up in the political intrigue that we forget farmers basic need of clarity around CWB programs including certainty about how they are managed and the information necessary for decision making.

I will look forward to your assistance in providing perspective/answering questions about CWB programs. Will note there are lots of hints about changes for 2008/09 but no announced programs. That includes the timing and volumes for the new crop Daily Price Contract for wheat.

Comment

FPC amounts will be increased if the Government allows an increase in the contingency fund and further , the CWB was not caught short in the market.

Comment

T4 , of course the election was valid , the point is all the fat cats in Alta. have nothing to complain about. Voila any incumbent would have been elected.

Comment

CL did you get the chart of weighted average wheat prices to Feb for ND at 6.50? Interesting! Or that Crop Advisors( for a 5 per acre fee ) advised their American clients to pre price their 2008 crop at 5.50. So I guess the American millers will still get some cheap wheat.

Comment

There is no control on FPC volumes - only DPC. Will note the CWB turned a $50 mln contingency fund into $10 mln in 2006/07. A $40 mln dollar loss. Maybe the first step will be to bring the contingency back to a reasonable level. How will the contingency fund be topped up again? Are the weaker basis in 2007/08 and continuing into 2008/09 not be the end result as money being funneled back into the contingency fund? Given the CWB manages risk across a whole crop year, the current producer pricing option system is both expense to manage and highly risky. Will the CWB consider things like multiple pooling periods to reduce risk and provide services to their farmer customers.

Realize this thread started with the politics of single desk/those that are pushing for change. If the CWB and their supporters hope to keep the board alive, you had better be prepared to provide leadership and vision. That is what farmers were asking for at the district meeting in Legal.

On your comment on average US prices. Who cares. Perhaps we both should encourage the CWB to release the background for their performance measures.

Comment

Yeah , it seems no one cares , all they seem to care about is the highest price tey could never get. If farmers want more choices then there is a cost, and it is the same cost that other hedges have.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...