• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB trying to kill GP wheat class

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB trying to kill GP wheat class

If you didn't know a resolution passed at the variety registration meetings this spring that merit for registration in the new general purpose class would require the variety be 10% higher than the checks. This is in direct conflict with CFIA regulations which state varieties must be equal to or better than the checks. The current spring check varieties in this class are Andrew soft white wheat and Hoffman an Ontario hard red wheat. On our farm this last year Andrew yielded about 15 to 20 % better than our CPS and hard red spring wheat. Add 10% to this and you can quickly see that you will exclude all varieties. Hoffman is a variety that would be a good candidate for this class but I'm not sure how you yield 10% better than the check when you are the check. This was a poorly thought out resolution rammed through the meeting by the CWB and supported by the milling quality committee. I would suggest that everyone needs to question both the authority and the expertise present in passing this resolution. The message is loud and clear. If your area is close to an ethanol plant or your best market is your local feeders, you are in fact second rate in the eyes of the CWB. They know what is best for you and you obviously lack the smarts to make your own decisions. Someone who has no expertise and no commercial interest in this class should be making those decisions for you. This situation reflects poorly on both the CWB and the PGDC. We used to think they were there to act in the producers best interests.

As far as I'm concerned the CWB should not have any say in what varieties get approved for registration. They are there to sell the grain that is produced it the DA. They are absolutly worse than the "Grain Trade" in being able to tell farmers what they can and can't grow.
    Screw the CWB

Comment

Craig. I don't think the cwb ever acted in the farmers best interest. They only changed policies when they absolutely had to . The only purpose of the cwb is self preservation!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...