• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has taken their yields to the Next Plateau!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has taken their yields to the Next Plateau!

Just wondering as I am working this week finishing some files. Are farmers really seeing the benefit's from companies who are into micro Nutrients.
    Was at a guys place back in early march and he was trying to explain how his plan had lifted his yields by a huge margin. It got me to think mine were what he was describing but I don't use these companies.
    I am a believer that weather and a good nutrient program will give you the desired yield.
    Last year farmers in the extreme south had a excellent pea crop.
    Was it weather or nutrients.
    I would bet this huge crop was due to a warm damp spring, early seeding and finally by the time the heat hit in July the peas were done and just had to finish filling.
    Because in same area durum was below average yields and Canola well lets say it burn up.
    Now at home a few guys are using these companies and one of my friends said he saw a increase of 1.25 bushels per acre on his peas vs where he did nothing.
    Basically the cost equalled the yield advantage.
    Yes don't get me wrong these services are important to farmers who need help with their fertility program. Simply asking the fertilizer dealer what to due like most did in the past just didn't make sense. (ask the guy selling you the product to plan your fertility program)
    I wish they would publish their findings even if it was a year old info. Because the big hitters would take that info and run.
    Because we still need to grow a crop for us to market.

I've got a neighbour who tried BEST last year and something else the year before.

Problem is - when its time to harvest he goes. Exact measurements of grain yield compared to the next field goes out the window when your staring at at a thunderhead in the west and a forecast for 3 days of rain.

I don't doubt it helps but sometimes I think its a feel good thing to say you've done everything right.

Usually the cost doesn;t outweigh the benefit.

Comment

Generally if you have a large supply of rocks on your land micronutients won't do a lot for normal crops. Micros are normally lacking on leached or organic soils.

Comment

See if I had a 1000 acre farm i think it would be easy to play.
        But with land spread out in three RM's its tough because some fields get excess moisture and others get none.

Comment

wouldn't you just do a more comprehensive soil test and supply required nutrients to your target yield? around here it's the big guys who are doing this and they're spread at least as far and through as many different soil types as most. i doubt acres or varying rainfall make much difference; target yield tells you what you need.

Comment

You work towards more and more yield/acre.

What aboput working towards better and better price/bu?

BIG difference.
            The latter makes YOU most money.

Parsley

Comment

Its the law of diminishing returns.
              Someday it may be worth it.Today?

Pars,the only thing to worry about is the bottom line.What works for some,doesnt for others.

Comment

I agree with you cott.

I just mentioned it because for 40 years, farmers have made ends meet by producing more and more.

I sometimes wonder if their energy would be better spent working to get MORE MARGIN for what they grow through better prices.

Just a reminder/opinion....

Parsley

Comment

You are fighting a system geared to producing more for less. It has worked up till now , at least for industrialized countries, giving us all cheap food and allowing everyone to spend more on goods we don't need. Can it continue, who knows?

Comment

Jen send we do major soil tests each year and I have a target yield for each crop.
                    But god give your head a shake in Sask yield can change from 10 to 20 miles.
                    Last year in intense farming at brother in laws his canola averaged 27 with little to no rain on heavy clay.
                    37 miles east we were way better. both had the same targeted yield.
                    Weather is the deciding fact.

Comment

But here is the best one, the three largest producers in our area are out of Canola by mid January. HM isn't marketing just as important as growing a crop.

Comment

so have different target yields for the different parts of your farm. the guys around here doing it are at least as big as you and at least as spread out. i think they gave their heads a shake and made it work. i watched their crops withstand the dry July better than others. by the way i am in sask and farmed in ab for about thirty years. there is nothing special about sask conditions; the big co.'s will give you a formula and you just have to apply it.

Comment

SF3, so let me understand you. A "well off" farmer is determined by how long he keeps his grain in the bin??

Nice. For a guy with all your expertise, I thought you'd understand how the real way to market your grain is.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...