• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon Credits

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of organic continuous crop for say 5 years, disk or cultivate in early fall, and plant to alfalfa/ grass/sainfoin in the spring....and it stays that way for say 5 or so years....

and your point was......

Parsley

Comment

The majority of "organic" farming that I see revolves around intensive tillage practices, thats my point.

Comment

Maybe you need to get out more.

Comment

Sorry Parsley maybe you can organically continuous crop apples or potatoes, but wheat barley flax canola etc I have yet to see.

Comment

You need to get out more.

Comment

u know the old saying, "if it sounds to good to be true....".

This is akin to Modern Day Snake Oil.

Be very carefull of the fine print, long term deals in these idiotic contracts.

I would never sign one

Comment

Don't sign the organic contracts either.

Please.

Parsley

Comment

why are farmers getting so little for carbon sequestration, when the B.C Carbon Tax will start out at $10.oo/tonne, and by the year 2012 the Carbon Tax will increase to $30.oo/tonne

Comment

But...the BC carbon tax is even a worse scam which will be onerous for some and easy on others. It won't be a FAIR tax and believe me it won't be "revenue neutral" as they claim. I have relatives in BC who are really p***ed off at the stupid BC government for even thinking of such a stupid tax as it won't stop anything except the economy will be negatively affected.

Comment

That is just it. Farmers are selling their carbon credits for pennies on the dollar. Lets see phosphate 1200 per ton.
                      Anhydrous 900 per ton, sulfer 600 per ton. Canola 700 per ton etc.etc. You get it. I am thinking farmers are short a few bricks on this one.

Comment

A lot of enviro law is BS. Just think about it, polluters are those who toss stuff in rivers and streams, without a permit. Paying for a permit makes the action legal, it does nothing for the environment, but the government gets the cash. Cutting a Christmas tree on Crown land, without a permit is illegal, but just look at the mess forest companies make, but they have a permit to do so, again it does nothing for the environment, but the government gets the cash. Mine without a permit, you are breaking the law, mine with a permit, make a big mess, environment the loser, government gets the cash. Cook pulp without a permit, pollute the air against the law, get a permit give the government the cash things are good. Pattern seems to be forming, pollute, pay, enviro dirty, government happy with cash! Earth ultimately will perish, sometime in future, due to dirty stinking rotten pollution in the air, water and on the land!(Global warming beginning now?) Government coffers will be full though, well done politicos, well done, as long as the economy chugs along all is well.

Comment

Burbert, thanks. I agree with your post. A bit of a rant but I like to rant sometimes.
                          The carbon credits is smoke and mirrors, wont make a damn bit of difference. But if I can get a cheque for PAST years without ANY consequences on future practices without changing any of my agronomic decisions I will do so.
                          It is a hell of a lot better for my farm than the chemical bundles that influence my rotations.

Comment

j_w

Obviously you haven't dealt with du or else they are kissing your ass for an easement on your land. These guys around my area are aholes to the tenth degree.

Comment

Ron I believe you have consequences. You have sold carbon that you cannot sell in the future when prices are 50 times higher.

Comment

I believe these companies that sell our carbon are doing so on the basis that we are sequesturing more carbon than what we get credit for, so in essence you are only getting paid for partial of your carbon sequestured. Since our carbon sequesture is only for a limitted amount of years up until the land is maxed out.
                                By getting paid only for partial of the carbon that is how they let some off for not compliance. Some day you will run out of carbon to sell and C02 trading is here to stay.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...