• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon Credits

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Credits

I saw that Viterra was getting into carbon credits. Anybody know anything about this?

Don't know much about this but I am going to offer an opinion about this whole carbon thing.

In sask there is a company that does this. First thing they want is your crop insurance records. So crop insurance gives or sells them the data then the set up a wheat board thing whereas you get some money then a interim later after they figure out how much they have made or decided to hide.

I suggested at a meeting years ago this carbon thing could be handle through the crop insurance agencies who have all the records and could reduce premiums as such. Its also a great equalizer because if your groing potatoes or beans or anything you are ripping the soil for are emmitters so they would have to pay. The 20 irrigators who got massive subsidies around riverhurst would be paying back some of that money growing potatoes etc.

INstead crop insurance washes there hands and sells the aggregators my farm info.

Great deal. Iam not involved but thats not to say my land isn't - who would check if your land isn't in a program without your permission?

Comment

If Viterra is getting into 'carbon credits', then they have been brainwashed like so many others have been. This whole 'carbon credit' thingy is "hogwash" that is being promoted by whom? Who is benefiting? It ain't you and it ain't me.

This "flavour of the day" reaction to "global warming" is costing time and money and driving up the costs of doing business. Viterra, if it pursues this BS policy is making a big mistake. They should stick to their business, which is trading in grain and fleecing the farmer, just like their predecessors have done in the past.

Comment

Viterra, seems to be making the same mistakes that AB Pool, UGG, Agricore, Agricore United did, before they ceased to exist. But what would one expect, we see the same old tired faces each and every day, we contact the company. Same BS, yadda, yadda, yadda, same advice use more fertilizer, more spray dope, the most expensive stuff is the best. Our agronomy guy can help you, oh guess what? He recommends buying more and more and more high priced stuff! Then it really gets weird, when they start investing in other ag related business like telephone companies, sattelite dishes, etc, etc. It never ends, stupidity is stupidity. Guess they want to go broke so they kin sell it to the Amerikins too ...........

Comment

Got so wrapped up with Viterra, I forgot to say, that I believe the current carbon market is a scam, a sham, doesn't do a dang thing to help the climate. Some scammers will likely make a bundle though, FO the AB gov't who dreamed up the idea!!! BreX in the farmers fields I guess....

Comment

Carbon credits and offsets are here to stay, do not think that it is not real. The question is one of liability and value to the grower. Wait until the world really wants to buy the offset before selling them as a grower.

Comment

The money is real, I cashed a couple of big cheques already and all I did was sell some credits retroactively, for practices I'd already done for other reasons. I am seriously considering selling for the next three years. I hope Viterra does get into the business if for no other reason to provide competition, to C-green. Not that they are bad but them taking 25% in the first round and proposing 15% over the next three years does seam like gouging.

We as farmers must collectivly get on board and ensure that the rules are written in our favour or else surly they will not be.
              Think, if we are forced to do some practices and then the carbon benefit is kept by the Government of Canada for the benefit of all Canadians.

Comment

just_wondering: Like Burbert says...it's a SCAM. If you got money for agricultural practices which are already part of your farming plan, then you are part of the "pyramid" scheme that carbon credits are akin to.

Cash your checks and reap the benefits now 'cause it ain'ta gonna last once the bubble bursts.

Comment

just_wondering what values are you seeing per acre? Wilagro. if its such a scam amd it won't last, why not sign up. After all free money isn't so bad is it?

Comment

walk: Because it would be taking money under "false pretences".

Also, if the polluters can "pay" to avoid cleaning up their act and the pollution goes on, where is the over-all benefit. The added costs for avoiding doing anything will be passed on to the consumer anyway so YOU and the rest of society will be the losers in the end.

Smoke and mirrors, sleight of hand, whatever it is called, it is total BS.

Comment

I have to side with wilagro and burbert on this one. If there is benefit on this carbon thing to the environment why wouldn't crop insurance get the benefit to everyone with lower premiums and maybe more customers. They have the records of the land and the way its been farmed.

You don't need a middleman to hide the or take profits.

A few years back when I was a rm councillor I talked to DU about this. They have been selling crbon credits to saskpower for years and using the hayland as their base. Think of the money they gave out to ranchers for seeding land back to grass and took an easement on that land. They are still making money on that deal and will be for a long time.

Comment

vvalk I got about $1.75 an acre for 3 years,this upcoming period covers grass as well and rates have been going up.
                        Bucket good for ducks to get an extra revenue source for their good work they do on habitat conservation.

Burburt/wiagro I believe organics are a scam as well yet people pay good money to eat that way, who knows why.
                        The organic market grows at 30% year.

Comment

One of the few times I agree with one of Burberts comments.
                          Even if you get paid for your carbon credits the pretense of carbon trading is a total scam.
                          As far as organics go. One idea would be for organic farmers to be the ones having to buy carbon credits and paying those that min/zero till. Unless they are zero-till organic.
                          How organics ever acheived the label of being good for the environment is truly a huge scam.

Comment

Jay-mo,
                            I don't really enjoy wading in on this BUT......

Organics often continuous crop for 4-6 years and then switch,.... and seed the land into nitrogen fixating forage of some kind, growing forage until the land is replenished somewhat, and then begin the cycle all over again.

Maybe you'd better stick to conventional farming policy.

Parsley

Comment

I guess you didnt like my suggestion of organic farmers buying carbon credits?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...