• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rye, Triticale and Hulless Barley

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rye, Triticale and Hulless Barley

Does anyone grow/market rye, triticale or hulless barley?

I am working on a feed grain project and am getting questions that I am not sure of how to answer.

1) Pricing issues with the emphasis on capturing the premiums reflecting nutrient value relative to hulled barley and feed wheat.

2) Crop insurance issues. For example, does hulless barley use the same yields as hulled barley or something else (own yield). Are normal barley crop insurance values used for hulless barley? I know I don't do any price forecasting for hulless barley.

3) Are there other issues that keep farmers from growing these grains?

Charlie;

On Barley and Crop Insurance...

Barley is barley, no matter what variety a farmer grows, 1CW Barley is the designated grade, malt, hulless, and other specialty barleys are all insured as the same crop kind at the same price.

On Rye and Triticale, contact Leo Meyer ARTA President @ (Cell(780)-814-1957), he can fill you in on specialty marketing of Rye and Triticale. Sulo Louma((403)-442-2365), Marvin Nakonechny ((780)-387-4557) or Graham Ogilvie ((403) 782-6169) could fill you in on hulless barley (if you can catch them when they are not seeding). Hope this helps!

Comment

Okay, you got me. What is the ARTA? Is it Alberta Reduced Tillage Assn?

Comment

Melville;

ARTA is Alberta Rye and Triticale Association.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...