• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soil Temperature.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soil Temperature.

Would be interested in others understanding of soil temperature is?
    Often the chem reps or chem retails hand out soil thermometers, i will ask what soil temperature means, and i get different answers.
    To me, it means the soil temp, at 2 inches deep, on an avg. elevation/slope, with avg. trash cover.
    But what i don't know is when people talk about planting when the soil temp is 6`C, do they mean the highest reading of the day is 6`C or the lowest reading of the day is 6`C or the avg. temp(per hour) during daylight hours is 6`C?
    Any help or ideas here would be nice.

I believe the idea is take a reading about 10 am and another at around 3 or 4 pm and average.
    Our agronomist at the local Coop always posts her readings on a sign board at the end of main. She does heavy land and light land readings

Comment

Just to add to Mustardman; Yes you have to average. I have found soil temperature to be very variable over the day even at 2-4 inches. A little sun raises the temperature a lot.
      Probably a good idea to be consistant in the times you check the temp.

Comment

Just to add to Mustardman; Yes you have to average. I have found soil temperature to be very variable over the day even at 2-4 inches. A little sun raises the temperature a lot.
        Probably a good idea to be consistant in the times you check the temp.

Comment

Don't get too technical guys,
          My grampa had his own test for soil temp,

He said if you could pull your pants down and sit bare-assed in the field for over thirty seconds, it was warm enough to seed.

That being said, we are starting today, (and yes my cheeks are damn cold)

Comment

My father says when the leaves start to pop on the poplar trees are a good indication of to start planting.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...