• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB DCH pricing (domestic human consumption)

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB DCH pricing (domestic human consumption)

Charlie noted in the thread below (on the latest PROs) that DHC pricing is posted in the newspapers regularly, but not available as a data series, or at least not as neatly as the CWB provides for some PPO's. This data used to be collected by the Canada Grains Council and published in the Statistical Handbook. Some of you may remember this vital tome of trading grain in the 70's, 80's and 90's. The CWB 'cash price' data was pulled from the publication in 2002 or thereabouts, because it doesn't represent actual traded values, and there is no way of correcting for variability due to LTAs, spatial issues like freight cost changes, commingling of grades or other deals that regularly happen. Those prices are still released and posted on some news services. I would just recommend that they be used with caution in formulating some types of price analysis.

I have to admit have not been able to find the DHC price. You can see the durum price (not sure what it means) and domestic malt barley prices. My understanding the malt barley prices are relevant the the 200,000 tonnes of malt barley business to domestic brewers - they price in 90 day windows using this price. Both these price graphs are shown in the markets section of the western producer (page 8 Apr. 24 edition).

Made the comment more in hope of visibility than anything else. Will note that the DPC (published daily), the Producer Direct sales (calulated daily but only available with a phone call) and the domestic human consumption price (I guess only available to millers) should have a similar basis relative to futures. Don't know why the DHC wouldn't be published - is effectly a single desk seller (CWB but noting domestic mills can buy from eastern Canada as well as the US) dealing effectively with what is a buying cartel (members of the Canadian National Millers Association).

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...