• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still frost in the ground

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still frost in the ground

In central Alberta we are still struggling with starting seeding as any area that was wet last fall still has frost in the ground. Lots of puddles in the field which are going no where. Every time we have another snow event we hope it's the last. I'm hearing substantial rain, snow in the Red deer area which should hold up seeding for at least another week.

What's the rush? If the ground is cold, the seed won't germinate properly anyway.

Comment

Wilagro,

I think the "rush" is we have to cover alot of acres in a short period of time. Not a very big window to get the crop in around these parts. Roughly 100 frost free days for my area. Doesn't leave much wiggle room for crap weather on either end.

Not sure where you farm Wilagro but that's the situation here.

Steve

Comment

I know about the 'window' of opportunity...but my old pappy always said that if conditions aren't right, plan for an alternate crop 'cause every year is different. Mind you he started farming with horses so there was a limit that they could accomplish in a day.

A rule of thumb in the good ol' days was to seed as soon as the leaves started to turn green, then you knew that it was warm enough for the seedlings to get an even start.

Times have changed, and I'm sure that most have been for the better. I hope all you guys can get rolling and get the crops in...enough of this foot of snow in May BS. Who in heck ordered that?

Comment

Will be 1/3 done after tomorrow. But if it don't warm up very soon the peas may even take a lickin. No leaves on the trees yet. Actually I have a drainage ditch that has not opened up yet holding back some 20 acres of water. Actually ran the end of the drill over a snow bank today. And we did not get snow in the last while. So just having a vodka cause I am not getting up just tooo early tomorrow. Bright side I met the new neighbour today we stopped the drills on the line and had a nice chat about family.

Comment

Wilagro,

As mentioned earlier... the CWB's Earl Geddies said a number of times to us that we have too much high quality wheat... if we grow less of this wheat... he says then the CWB then can extract a 'higher premium'!

So leave that seeder in the fence row Wilagro... don't 'waste' any of your cash on fert. or expensive chemicals...

take a snooze every afternoon... and see if you can grow half a crop... we know you can do it Wilagro!

P.S.; Then we can send all the complainers about high food prices...and starving folks to your place... and they can graze off your fields!

GRIN

P.S.S.; sOMETIMES YOU DO GET WHAT YOU ASK FOR!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...