• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riday With Ritz

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riday With Ritz

Maybe the Honourable J. Ritz would like to explain why he is so H__ Bent on getting rid of KVD, when everyone says we do not have a suitable replacement? This seems to be a good place for this explanation because of all his admirers on this forum.

Agstar77,

Give your head a shake!

We do not have KVD on canola...and have many different types that can NOT be mixed without spoiling the seed!

WHO else on the planet uses KVD?

Shucks... if wheat in the US in Sweeetgrass MT was worth $22/bu on February 26/08... with NO KVD.... what should that tell you? WE GET NO PREMIUM for a huge price in lost productivity!

USE certified seed... and keep the varieties separate... the needed technology is a phone call away... your local seed dealer Agstar77!

Perhaps you should apologize to the Honourable Minister Ritz...for swearing at him!

Comment

You are just a bundle of laughs T4. If I wanted to swear I would do it in person, but since I Havn't its academic. Now how about an answer from an elected official. I thought this new goverment was about openness! I didn't know your eyesight was that good that you could tell one canola seed from another. Nexera from H.E.A.R.

Comment

We need newer better varieties of wheat. KVD stands in the way of that by dictating that newer varieties can't look like old varieties. It is a completely arbitrary and non scientific way of doing things.

Nobody in the world uses their eyeballs to judge the characteristics of wheat. They test it and measure the specific qualities to see if it meets their specs.

I know science is scary for you board types agstar but you're going to have to learn to deal with it. That's the how the rest of the world approaches these things.

And what the heck is "Riday"?

Comment

Apparently the seedgrowers and wheatbreeders don't agree with you . Will you pay my portion of the cost for the affadavit system or will T4? I have no problem with eliminating KVD if there is a replacement, but science isn't there yet.

Comment

Ritz don't need no stinkin' science. Full steam ahead, and to heck with the torpedoes. Maybe he and his buds will solve the replacement situation at the last moment.

You have to give the man credit...he showed that he could be forceful and direct an order so as to show that he was doing something more than his predecessor did. It's all gamesmanship.

Comment

There is science today that determines a quality milling wheat, they are faslling number, ash percentage, and protein. Every end user of the product in the industry uses these standards. Try talking to a baker and see what specs they look for.

Comment

Gstar77:

Breeders like KVD?

Apparently the CGC disagrees with you. From the CGC website:

"The wheat breeder is selecting or culling for many desired characteristics, one of which is KVD. These desired characteristics are simply restrictions that the breeder has to live with."

And:

"It is almost a universal truth that cereal breeders do not like KVD. They accept it as a reality and some may even feel it is worth continuing because of its value elsewhere in the value chain. But they do not like it. It is one more restriction that has be carried along through all the trials and after all that work they are subjected to a “near miss” due to KVD."

Comment

Ever hear of Brian Fowler? University of Sask.

Ask him what he thinks of KVD.

Comment

Agstar77,

You will find seedgrowers and the seed trade groups are on side for the August 1 2008 end for KVD as well.

WHO are you getting your info from?

Like I said... grow certified seed, keep it separate like you do with NEXERA and HEAR canolas... and you will have integrity of varietal purity.

Much more complex standards for food safety are coming down the pipe... documentation is a requirement now... ISO standards... keeping track of which type of wheat is grown on a field... is the smallest part of required record keeping to assure quality!

Comment

Everybody but the CWB uses falling numbers to grade and price wheat.
                      Lots of wheat in 2005 graded a #3 at the elevator by KVD standards, but ended up #2 or better, at the coast by the falling number that every other country uses.
                      It is time for us to get into the 21 century like every other wheat exporting country.

Comment

Kryger The CWB does not set standards for grain, the CGC does. The CWB does not grade grain elevator companies do.

Comment

But the CWB has been fighting to keep KVD. The Board only cares about the customers, not the farmers that they are supposed to benefit.
                          Agriculture in western Canada has lost millions, if not billions of dollars, in lost grades and better varieties because of KVD.
                          I, for one, says good riddance to KVD.

Comment

I heard one individual from the grain trade suggest that precautions taken to mitigate risk from the removal of KVD will add $4.00 per tonne to system costs. If true that would be roughly equivalent to the entire CWB admin budget.

Comment

Well then Rod/Vader that's another reason to give farmers a choice when it comes to marketing their crops.

Those who want to avoid the board administration costs should be free to do so. Those who see value in board administration can continue along their merry way.

Speaking of administration Rod, your boys and girls at the board did a bang up job overpaying those 5600 farmers $29 million in the PPO's.

It's probably time for another round of stress bonuses.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...