• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frost damage

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frost damage

So much for a record canola crop. Heavy frost last night ,ice on water. 10 to 20 % kill and 30 % damage. Dry conditions wind damage, won't need to get a bigger combine. Oh did I forget flea beetles on a struggling crop. The cool weather has slowed growth so the plants are struggling. More frost damage where there is trash coverage.

checked this morning, ice over the bird bath! 50% frozen plants in the heavy trash areas, 25% in lower areas, rest of the fields just an odd one, all depends on the amount of trash you've been building in your fields and the type of stubble seeded into! but the ones hurt are dead!

Comment

Little damage seen in Man., Sask. frosts

Dwayne Klassen and Alana Vannahme
      5/22/2008 3:29:00 PM

(Resource News International) -- Cool temperatures and a late spring are believed to have prevented crops in Manitoba and isolated regions of Saskatchewan from suffering any major damage from overnight frost.

"I don't think there was any substantial damage as a result of the cool overnight temperatures that were experienced in Manitoba and parts of Saskatchewan," said Bruce Burnett, director of the Canadian Wheat Board's weather and crop surveillance department.

However, he acknowledged, there might be a few isolated areas where the cold readings might have hurt some fields to the point where producers will have to reseed.

"This is maybe where the late spring has helped us out a bit as there is not really a lot of crop that has emerged yet," Burnett said.

Of the crops in Manitoba, winter wheat was probably the furthest along in development in the southern region of the province and probably the most vulnerable to any damage from the cold readings, Burnett said.

"There is more and more evidence surfacing that winter wheat in Manitoba suffered a greater percentage of winterkill than earlier thought, but the latest cold readings were not believed to have added significantly to the damage," he said.

Based on the duration of the cold readings overnight and the fact that it was not necessarily widespread, the damage if any will be minimal, said Mike Jubinville, a Winnipeg analyst with ProFarmer Canada.

He said the extent of any damage will be known in about two to three weeks.

Temperatures overnight in Manitoba were said to have dipped as low as -3°C in some locations, based on Environment Canada readings.

"We would definitely like to see these cool temperatures go away," Burnett said. However, he cautioned, some areas of Western Canada still have not approached their latest date ever for a springtime frost.

Comment

Again this is a Expert from the CWB HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA> It froze last night and some plants are lost. Barley fields look sick along with most crops this afternoon. IT froze boys that's what happened on top of a dry cold as hell spring. But oh yea their is a Bumper coming HA.

Comment

Hey Larry, I would like to invite Dwayne and Alana out here for a crop check and I will show them serious frost damage on thousands of acres within 15-20 miles of here. The airport readings are always 3-4 deg. higher than feild conditions. I wish I could spend even two hours in the feild with these "experts". And the damage is worse north of here. But hey it did not freeze very bad according to the temps on the internet. This is all they base their knowledge on, much like August '04 very little frost damage concluded by the experts - all wheat was 3-feed within 100 miles of here. These experts should come out and get on their hands and knees and have a real look at what happened not make an assesment from behind a computer.
          You watch Terri Bedart's next crop report - light frost damage in some localized low lying areas - I know what she will say already.

Comment

by the end of the day, yesterday, my barley was looking pretty sick too! but i'm now starting to worry about the winter wheat as it's on the verge of shot blade, what damage was done to the head forming? anyone have frost at this stage in w wheat before? i don't think this w wheat is as advanced as the U.S. w wheat when it was hit last year at Easter

Comment

I don't know what part you guys misread??

Larry's article has it bang on. The frost isn't that big of a deal. It says some areas might have got it bad. Which some did.

The market doesn't care about a 100 mile radius hit hard. The three prarie provinces will be fine!!

Did it set the crop back??? Yes.

Did we lose some plants?? Yes.

Was the crop lost??? not even close.

I would guess I lost 15-20% of plants.

I seeded at just over 5lbs, even at 20% loss I would still be safe at 3 1/2 lbs to grow yet.

I've grown a very good crop at 6 plants/mt2.

It is by far a lossed crop.

Comment

Snappy you bring up some valid points, but the 100 mile radius was just an example - a huge majority of Sask wheat crop was hammered in '04 on that light localised frost damage report. I guess to clearify what I ment to point out is that our area is not on the radar screen for frost damage at all again this time but it is here and a huge area of Sask was 3-4 deg colder than us mon. and tues. and this morning. Just pointing out that if I see the kind of damage here with the temps we were at I am sure alot of areas are going to be worse in a much bigger area. Time will tell, I know this afternoon things look much worse than this morning or last night. The airport registered -1,0,0 over the last three nights. Just food for thought.

Comment

Three of us were out checking fields today total canola area is 15000 acres just a small amount. Most fields had damage and about 15 - 20% of the plants are dead. We were called at -1 so this did set the crop back and will have a hit on the super bin buster that the market feels is comming. Its not a write off by any means but its one piece of the puzzel.

Comment

Mother nature is already chipping away at this crop and unless the perfect rains come soon and often things will keep going south, south of the no.1, lol. Good luck to all.

Comment

Just a note about the "disaster" of 2004. People were talking about frozen cat dishes and garden hoses in August. Apparently, the crop was wiped out. A funny thing happened though, 2004 provided the 2nd highest yield ever to that point, and the 4th highest average yield ever. Were some guys hit bad? Absolutely, but Snappy's point is well taken. If all you do is look for bullish news and criticize the bearish, you've got blinders on.

Comment

So how did those 35-40 bushels an acre Canada Feed wheat at $1.80 to $2.00/bu pencil out on your farm in 2004?

Comment

Sorry, I'm just talking canola here. You're right about the grain quality.

Comment

in 2004, i had a half section of canola that was looking like a 45bus/acre crop, -4C turned that into a 20bus/acre crop(still sounds good eh! still yielding close to prairie avg.) except the green count was 50% and the dockage was 15%! decided to straight cut it to cut costs and it worked nice, got my 6000 bus and thought it'd be worth something, say $3.oo or $4.oo/bus! but Nobody was interested in it, Nobody, No offers for the first 12 months! then after storing it for over a year i received an offer of a whopping $1.oo/bus ! never, never will i do that again, the disk will be coming out! no-till or not!

Comment

South Central Manitoba, considerable frost damage to canola on monday night, significant # of acres being reseeded,if seed can be located.Damage seemed to the worst on the fields that were zero tilled or had heavy trash cover. June seeding doesn't make for big yields, at least in this region

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...