• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to find topic re tariff on Wash/Idaho potatoes?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to find topic re tariff on Wash/Idaho potatoes?

On Agri-ville's information sheet that came this week there was reference to an anti-dumping tariff imposed on NW U.S. potatoes coming into B.C.

It was an article from an Idaho newspaper.

Does anyone know where it's to be found, here on Agri-ville?

Thinking that I was sending a message here, I thanked Agri-ville for bringing the message.

Said that, when recently I saw clerk in local supermarket unoading a pile of boxes of Wash apples to their shelf, asked him why he was selling Wash apples when quite a few local apple growers were uprooting trees, as they couldn't make any money.

He shrugged his shoulders, said that was no concern of his.

Later thought I should have asked him how he'd feel if, lacking decent income, apple growers shopped less in supermarket, the manager, due to reduced business, laid off recent hires - including him.

Have recently thought that, with all the fuss and screaming I've been hearing about softwood lumber, I've also heard that the U.S. had made nary a peep about softwood logs or squared timber going into the U.S. - wasn't that an equally large problem?

Lacking that, one feels that their real goal is to force local sawmills to close - they'll saw the logs in the U.S., thank you very much.

Their efficiency and productivity less than ours, it seems.

I then called local apple growers, asking if they'd gone to the govt to see whether, if Wash apples were being sold for less in neighbouring states than here (Ontario), whether they could get our govt. to impose an anti-dumping tariff on apples.

After message sent - I realized that I'd sent it to Idaho newspaper, not Agri-ville.

Oh, well - we do make mistakes, sometimes.

Does anyone here know how to spell, "free trade"?

They don't call them "Yankee traders" for nothing - they've been traders for centuries.

"Level Playing Field" is not a circumstance that they like to deal with - if they can avoid it.

I spent ten years in Korea, just after the Korean War, helping clean up the mess and refugees get back on their feet.

The Koreans, bordering Russia for a short space, and Manchuria/China for some space, as well as Japan a few miles across the sea, have persevered for over 4,000 years. They can teach us some important lessons about how to maintain one's identity when living near large neighburs.

Good wishes to all,

Ed Baker

Ed;

I looked up the Potato Growers of Alberta, @

http://www.albertapotatoes.ca

I hope contacting these folks might be a start on your quest for more info about PNW Potatoes...

All the best!

Comment

Hi Tom
      Guess you must be pretty busy no posts lately.

How is seeding going?
      Winter wheat just coming to ear here. Had its final fungicide so sprayer should not need to go again unless bad aphids appear on ear. How is your winter wheat looking?

Comment

Ianben;

Most of our winter wheat came through OK, a little thin on hill tops, we are now controling weeds, it is tillering in the 4 leaf stage.

We need rain, it would really fill in if it does rain. Had 3/10ths on Monday, weeks cool weather have allowed things to hang in... now it is in mid 20's we need much more precip.

Hoppers starting to hatch...

Mad Cow issues depressing...

PM thinks he is King of the world...

Kick your neighbour in the head... and see how much beef and wheat he will allow in his country!

Comment

Really feel for you guys over BSE. It certainly altered my life. No point producing a product which has lost customer confidence in my opinion.

Here we were looking into the unknown in 96 hopfully you will benift from the fact that human cases have been so few.

Cant the public/press see that if you go looking for something that has not been looked for before likely you will find it.
          One cow in the millions in Canada must show your testing is working. Most European countries found small numbers when they started looking closely and testing.
          More cattle in US as yet no cases. Does this mean they test less well? When/if they admit to finding BSE will customer confidence be hit/devestated there too.

No exports with an open border if no demand.

Worst thing we did was to fight French over their illegal ban on our beef when restrictions lifted. Just kept BSE in news bulletins and customers worried.
          There is no good news with BSE as only the future can tell the real risk.

Which beef is the safest.

UK beef is all from animals under 30months old with a tracability record from birth to death. I think carries the minimum risk but still carries the stigma of BSE. Too some people the minimum risk is too big yet they smoke drink or drive???

Hope you get some rain and no more cases!

Regards Ian

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...