• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOC winding down Special Credit

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOC winding down Special Credit

"Bank of Canada backs off as credit tensions ease

Reuters
    July 08, 2008

Tensions in Canada's money markets have eased enough to prompt the Bank of Canada to suspend operations to get short-term lending back on track, but analysts say it's too early to declare an end to the credit crunch.

The central bank said Tuesday it would sell back $1 billion worth of securities it bought on the market on June 10 instead of rolling them over, citing an improvement in bank funding costs.

This was the second time it has decided to conclude a transaction of this sort, known as a PRA, and it marks the withdrawal of all of the bank's extraordinary help to once-stressed markets.

"The credit crunch came a little bit sooner to Canada than it did elsewhere and it seems to be going away sooner as well," said David Wolf, chief economist and strategist at Merrill Lynch Canada. "The Bank of Canada is, as far as I know, the first of the G7 central banks that is in the process of unwinding its extraordinary liquidity measures."
    The news came on the same day that the U.S. Federal Reserve said it might keep open a lifeline to big financial firms past year-end, a sign that credit conditions in the United States are not recovering the same way they are in Canada.

The funding indicator closely watched by the Bank of Canada – the spread between the three-month CDOR (a benchmark for bankers' acceptance notes) and the overnight index swaps – was 29 basis points Tuesday, the lowest level since early August 2007, but not quite at pre-crisis levels of 11 or 12 basis points. At the end of last year, that spread was 79 basis points.

"It's something that's somewhat unique to Canada. That's certainly why the bank has ceased the operations," said Mark Chandler, fixed income strategist at RBC Capital Markets..."
    http://www.bnn.ca/news/2106.html

What a bunch of nonsence.

Wait till the poop hits the fan on fannie and freddie.

I'm sure they will use the words sell back instead of write down to.

Its one of the most important economic things on the planet but people are oblivious.

Comment

What I find amazing in all of this is how quickly the aid/subsidy/bailout comes. No one allows the general public to go broke or face their debts.

Why do I say this.

Farmers, who have really taken a beating the last few years are told to go get other jobs, refinance, go broke or just get out. Yet we are held captive by a government organization. The general public that has guaranteed wage increases, employment insurance, etc., gets cheap food and then tells farmers "tough luck if you can't make a go of it"

But if shit hits the fan on the general public they want the government to help them out because they took out 40year no money down mortgage they couldn't afford in the first place.

And they don't want to wait 2 years for the package.

Tell a nurse in sask that (prior to their obscene 35% increase) if she is not making enough money to go get a second job, I am pretty sure you would be given eight different directions to hell. Farmers do get that second or third job.

Bottom line I wish the public would have been exposed a little to the crisis so they would have come to appreciate how well they have it.

Comment

Farmers are good at sniveling and whinning too! Driving big fancy tractors and combines, while complaining and bitchin about the prices and costs. Never ends, it rains to much to little, need some sunshine. Got all the farm aid available then bragging the canolie ran 70 Bu to the acre! The best of both worlds, farm forever cause its funn.

Comment

Burbert

You missed the point - the government bailout came instantly on the financial sector in agriculture it takes years. In Canada that is. In the US the subsidy is negotiated on a continual basis.

And my tractors -although they look new, are 11 years old. I don't buy new often - wish I could - I have better luck in the long haul rather than buying problems.

Cotton

Good call on freddie and fannie. Its really stinging in the states.

Comment

bucket,

A reply to burbert is a reply to a non-farmer board troll.

Parsley

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...