• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spraying Wheat Midge?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spraying Wheat Midge?

Anyone spraying the midge? No spraying yet as crops are late. Saw a few on 50% headed wheat last night. Not threshold but they are here. RM 367 north of Wadena.

nieghbor is spraying. I have him booked to spray mine but I am likely 2 weeks away as I planted the wheat last. We are in dead center of midge territory, have you gotten your chemical yet? We were all worried about getting chemical so we picked it up 2 weeks ago. As far as I know midge is a daily scouting thing. One day nothing next lots.

Comment

We have a ex provincial enthomologist doing plots at the farm here is it in a nut shell.
      Spray if your in the Southey to Lemberg area now. Their here and hatching ever day. Start checking. Also sawfly is their plus some wheat aphid.
      He's the bug guy. But were Red on provincial map for out break and to think I though I was going to be able to stay at the lake this week and not live in the sprayer.
      The Buggers increased Lorsban by 16 dollars a case, from last year.
      Take Rebate and shove up their.

Comment

fjlip,

The CWB has walked into a real hornets nest HERE!

SOme folks in east central AB north of hwy 12 really upset.

The map shows low heat units... no females emerged... yet the little guys are backing in and appear to be laying eggs... for close to a week.

Wheat on wheat is the worst... fall banded/worked land is way ahead (in development of midge) of zero till.

Black ground heated up much more quickly.

Our main crop of wheat (main head) is 80% flowered all ready... we were the first to seed... our wheat May 4-5.

Comment

I agree. The map says NO adults emerged for my RM, but there are so many factors.
          Colder dryer soil delays or reduces midge.Cultivated soils were much warmer. The crops are all more advanced on tilled land. Our area is reconsidering no till. Many stubble fields were burned this spring.

Comment

Dear Charlie, Lee, Et El;

In scouting and working with others who must deal with the environmental problems wheat midge create...

We owe it to our environment to use quality based testing... (falling #'s... ash, flour yield etc) to determine the quality of our wheat.

Instead the CWB and CGC continue to use visual and genetic determinations... which are not necessarily objective or fair quality assessments of grain quality.

The system we have now leads to opportunity to take our produce... and keep a large portion of value that would not otherwise be lost to grain growers... IF an objective non-visual based system... like every one in the commercial world uses now...(falling #'s... ash, flour yield etc).

Any grower with an ounce of brains... can scout this out in no time.

The first step has been taken to move to a commercial system with quality based non-visual grading factors... (the removal of KVD);

Lets move the rest of the way now... and stop the opportunists from taking what is truly the value created by grain growers...

AND not value taken from growers by a system that hides real and true value of our produce (Visual instead of actual quality assessment of a lot of grain)!

We are still less than half way to resolving this problem right now!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...