• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hail! How bad in the Yorkton area?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hail! How bad in the Yorkton area?

This looks like a bad one, heard reports a baseball ice!
    We had a good/bad one Monday afternoon, put in claims on over 1800ac on our farm alone. 900ac of canola at 50-60% damage by my counts. Much needed moisture did come with it 1", along with a nice sloww 1/2 inch this morning. Drove by thousands of canola acres yesterday that where 10% of the crop is 30% bloom and 90% may start to bloom next week!(each and every canola feild looks like this) They are praying for hail.
    I hope that for those of you with good crops the hail stays away.

Time to change my name from breadwinner to breadloser. Worst hailstorm in all my years this afternoon. It cut a swath of destruction from west of Dafoe to east of Foam Lake At least 10 miles wide and 50 miles long. Total destruction no crop left spared, even a twister took a house south of Wynyard. Baseball size hail piled up on the sides of roads and took the windows from allot of houses. Time to find a new job that has allot less stress, Just as you can start to think you might make it BIG$$ "bam" You get put back with all the other bottom feeders. I am starting to think it has been all planned out for us ahead of time, we are just going through the motions of getting our hopes up and then dashed. Do yourselves a favor, top up your hail insurance you do not want to be like me.

Comment

Breadwinner, did that "white combine" travel north of Foam Lake through Elfros??

Comment

It sure did, it went right down main street Elfros. The system followed highway 16 and the hail went about 1 mile north of Elfros and 10 miles south before it ran out. Just noticed on the sat radar the storm tracked right through Yorton and is now by Russel MB.

Comment

Sorry to here breadwinner, that sucks! I had to ask, because it looked real bad on radar, it looked like too big storms coverged into one big monster. Same thing happend to us in 2000.
          Going out to see if my hailed canola has any chance to recover, it has been since monday, so hopefully it shows some sign of life.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the storm, we always insure and hope its a waste of money. My agent was surprised this year at my higher coverage but I pointed out the rise in inputs and the same weather that makes great crops makes great storms.
            Hopefully its not as bad as it looks?

SCREW THE CWB

Comment

Crop checking with the Rhino, and there seems to be less than 10% hail damage (twenty minutes north of Carlyle's wreck). But the hail was sporadic. Another neighbor had little to none. Another neighbor had loonie-sized damage. No train wrecks I've heard about yet.

The yard is probably the worst with flowering shrubs and gardens somewhat shredded by big holes, but the hail was over quickly. Never saw such continuous lightening as nature provided last night.

Parsley

Comment

Came home from Regina on #35, between Bankend and Elfros, and it were not pretty. I feel bad for These guys. I know how bad it sucks,and hope it comes thru and gives them something. My 1997 write off at exactly the same stage still gave me 40 of barley, 25 of wheat, and 12 of canola. I only wished I had left my peas and other canola. If I could, I would suggest the farmers leave what they can as it may surprise a guy, and it could be helpful in covering costs. my 1997 storm had worse damage than what I saw today. The barley was more of a 3 inch lawn, and the canola was like, well, 2 inch lawn. Today I saw a "lighter" type of 100% hail damage if you know what I mean. moisture conditions are conducive to regrowth, no matter how bad it may seem. Plants are amazing...Good luck. And bring on the heat!

Comment

We were hit bad with hail on wed July 9th along 32 hiway northwest of Swift Current. High winds and hail lasted 20 minutes. Durum was headed or in the boot and is totally shredded.
                  Peas pounded into ground. Never had hail on peas before but I,m thinking the pods that have been hit will let air in so peas won't develop. All land hit except 2 quarters. A shame since it was looking exceptional and would have been a very good crop.
                  Luckily my lentils seem to be the only thing to have been out of the storm.

Comment

Ouch mastadrman, sorry about your luck. I heard crops in your area were looking very good. As for the peas, your best bet is to disk them under and put those nutrients back in the dirt - regardless of your tillage system. Do not let crop insurance or hail ins. tell you different, it will cost you money in the long run and huge problems later. Peas, at this time of year will not recover if hit bad.

Comment

I would agree with furrow on working under your peas, in 2001 we had ours hailed on and they only went 10 bushel. They had very poor quality due to ruptured pods and black peas in the sample due to mold. I feel your pain it is always a gamble on whether to work it under or hope for a miricle.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...