• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB raises BP and makes me feel sick again

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB raises BP and makes me feel sick again

I detect an upcoming onslaught to use figures to prove the CWB's grand plan and its marketing genius have produced extraordinary results in marketing this years durum crop.
    The only truth I'll concede is that in the absence of the CWB; Canadian farmers would have the opportunity to behave like their US counterparts. Operating outside a monopoly would also provide the chance to market differently than the US system. It should not be taken for granted that all farmers will always market all their production without regard to the products potential worth. There are examples of how grain stored can now be sold for handsome profits. Not many of those examples involve the CWB.
    If I were a member of the CWB marketing team; I would be ashamed of last year's durum pool performance. Considering that the world basically has to come to Canada; year after year for the majority of the world's exportable durum supplies; and the fact there is no futures price mechanism for durum; and that quantity and especially quality are largely unknown until after harvest (thus large portions of the upcoming crops should not be priced by the CWB until about September); and especially considering that when your market intelligence clearly shows very tight supplies; why would any marketing agency compete vigorously at all times against minor players who are going to sell out their supplies anyway. Doesn't that just drive down prices when there is absolutely no need to do so. When you don't have 100% market share; or the supplies to satisfy the remaining share; do the best marketing job with the market advantages within your grasp.
    With all the above aces in a very strong hand; why did the CWB essentially give away our last years durum crop? If they would put a fraction of the effort into a marketing plan; rather than trying to sell the producers a story about how much better they are than some foreign system; then Canadian farmer's interests would be better served.
    My analysis is that knowing absolutely nothing about world durum markets; it would have been impossible to get poorer returns than the CWB has over the last crop year. The plan, as always would be to not sell below costs of production; and not fight for every sale; nor sell in panic mode.
    The CWB asking prices basis ThunderBay and St. Lawrence have consistently been between 17 and 29 dollars over most of this crop year. Taking a $1.70 off for costs leaves a figure a lot different than what the producer will receive.
    Before trying to convince their suppliers of superior results; we farmers should be skeptical that the CWB is capable of even a credible performance. I am told that performance bonuses are now a part of CWB salaries.

A blurb from the July 15,2008 report written by Nicholas King from Malteries Soufflet Barley Report in France:

US SRW milling wheat
    254,00 $/T Aug/Sept
    245,00 July/Aug

French milling wheat
    316,00 $/T Aug/Sept
    310,00 July/Aug

U.K. milling wheat
    300,00 $/T Aug/Sept
    nq July/Aug

E.U. feed wheat
    280,00 $/T Aug/Sept
    nq July/Aug

Black sea milling wheat(nominal)

295,00 $/T Aug/Sept
    290,00 July/Aug

These are market values F.O.B.
    Exchange rate : 15.7.08 1 Euro $ 1,595

Parsley

Comment

French Barley Markets on 15th of July:

French domestic market values for the 2008 / 09 season:

Prices are basis a February 2009 delivery. No export subsidy has been applied:

2 row Spring malting barley
      256,51 €/t 409,13 $/T
      2 row Winter malting barley
      226,51 €/t 361,28 $/T
      6 row Winter malting barley
      223,51 €/t 356,50 $/T
      Feed barley
      171,51 €/t 273,56 $/T
      Intervention minimum guaranteed price 105,03 €/t 167,52 $/T

For info. :Intervention price basis Oct. 08 : 101,31 €/t 161,59 $/t

Monthly carrying charge :
      0,93 €/t 1,48 $/t