• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do we need any wheat board at all?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do we need any wheat board at all?

Something else I don't get. Why do we need a voluntary wheat board at all.

Why do open market supporters and market choice candidates for cwb director say they want to keep the cwb even when it becomes voluntary?

What benifit is an arrogant, over staffed, out of touch, inefficient grain marketing agency to our economic future?

Please explain?

Is it nostalgia?

Is it because their just not 100% sure the open market can function in wheat and barley?

Is it because they have a lifetime invitation to Grain World?

Or maybe they really want to see how many bushels of wheat and barley the cwb would actually attract within a competitive environment. And when they see how patheticly tiny the amount is they can laugh. Noy just a snicker mind you, but a deep down gutteral laugh that goes on and on until their sides ache and the tears are rolling down their cheeks? I know for me that's the only reason I might want to keep the cwb around within an open market.

Other than that. Why don't we just close the place down forever?

I believe closing down the CWB permanently is:

1..... fiscally responsible because we do not need to pay the CWB to assign accredited agents.
    and

2..... morally encouraging because their are so many tactics employed by the CWB that are looked upon by many farmers as less than trustworthy, and there is too much percieved CWB patronage, and there also becomes a possiblilty of openess and truthfulness to underscore farming that seems to be clouded by the "big government CWB" planning our future behind closed doors.

and

3.....socially necessary for binding together the divided farm community they have created.

and

4. ...nationally necessary for allowing Eastern and Western regions to meld and do business in an equal opportunity arena.

and

5.....necessary for Canada to participate in and become part of world trading, so all Canadian grain farmers can flourish.

Parsley

Comment

Olds farmer seeks seat on Canadian Wheat Board

By Advocate staff

Published: August 06, 2008 6:37 AM

Olds-area farmer Jeff Nielsen has thrown his hat in the ring to seek the Canadian Wheat Board director spot previously held by Penhold’s Jim Chatenay, a vocal opponent of the board’s monopoly.

Chatenay, who has served on the board since 1998 and reached his term limit, cannot seek re-election in this fall’s election of directors.

“I’ve known Jim for a long time and I’ve been a big-time supporter of his efforts at the board to try to provide choice for Alberta producers,” said Nielsen.

“I think the Canadian Wheat Board can work in an open market environment.”

The 45-year-old points to the success of the Ontario Wheat Producers’ Marketing Board, which does not have monopoly powers.

The Conservatives introduced a bill in March to end the Canadian Wheat Board's monopoly on sales of western barley.

The board has a monopoly on sales of most western grain crops, in what is known as “single-desk” selling. Supporters say this helps farmers get the best prices. Opponents say farmers could do better cutting their own deals.

Nielsen said barley producers, and to a lesser extent wheat producers, are seeking marketing choices but still see a role for the board, which has solid contacts with more than 70 countries.

“They have a phenomenal relationship with those countries,” he said.

“It is time to move forward and I will bring my experience to the CWB board table in advocating for policies and programs that will achieve marketing choice while also preserving principles of the CWB, like pooling, for the benefit of those producers who want that option.”

Nielsen was born and raised on his farm about eight km southeast of Olds. He operates J.E. Nielsen Farms Inc., a 1,350-acre grain and oilseed farm.

He is a veteran of numerous trade missions to the World Trade Organization in Geneva, Switzerland, to promote more liberal trade policies to provide better returns and market access grain, oilseed, pulse crop, pork and beef producers.

UNQUOTE

I would have been much more comfortable with Nielsen's position if his campaign promise would have stated he would stuff the CWB's legislative ashes in an urn and bury them in the Baffin Island Cemetery, where only those who really yearn to view the remains would make the the effort to travel into northern obscurity.

Parsley

Comment

If the wheat board did not exist we would be as in the U.S., where farmers are more dependent on the government to subsidize them and hold their hand. I doubt if this government would go the distance to subsidize ag. to the extent the U.S. does. The costs associated with CWB, that all of you whine about would still be there just under new management. We would be turning more power over to international grain merchants who care little about where grain comes from or care to develop markets for a Canadian branded product.If you think you have no say in the grain system now , you would have even less under an open market. Maybe Mr. Nielsen has an open enough mind to keep his options open not like P.

Comment

One monstorous problem with your reasoning Agstar, the cwb doesn't subsidize, it doesn't add value it only subtracts value.

And please save the evil multinational grain companies speech for those who need a bedtime story and a nightlight to go to sleep at night.

By the way I'm assuming the board loses it's monopoly, the single desk is gone the way of the Dodo bird. Again why do open market guys even want it around under a voluntary setting?

I can't think of one decent reason.

Comment

Multi-nationals are not evil or good they are like the scorpion in the fable, they cannot help doing what they do. And you are right without a single marketing desk the CWB would die, since it does not have its' own grain system or an export terminal.

Comment

1. "If you think you have no say in the grain system now , you would have even less under an open market"

Tell that to Ontario with a straight face.

2. "it does not have its' own grain system or an export terminal"

And for that, I am eternally grateful.

Parsley

Comment

Yes Ontario has a local market, and small volume at that.

Comment

I thought Canada was the CWB's biggest market.

Do you consider it small volume as well?

Parsley

Comment

Perhaps Agstar could tell me how the CWB operated when it was firsted formed.I believe it was voluntary until the war caused some marketing problem and eastern Canada did not want western farmers to get ahead of them.Was the CWB not voluntary at the start Agstar????

Comment

AdamSmith,
                      Personally, I would go with your last option.
                      I think you have to go with a voluntary wheat board because of the board-worshipers idea that it gets them more money.
                      That way, in an open market, it can prove to everyone how great it is or go broke and we can all have that deep-belly laugh!

Comment

Agstar77;

Clearly the risk management strategy 'single desk' directors/managers at the CWB has cost us $100's of millions per year of lost revenue. Informa got this right... even if the reasons for the losses can not be easily understood... because the CWB operates neither in a commercial manner nor transparently for profit loss analysis to be performed.

I would hope that the contingency fund losses... the negative basis... while US growers reap record positive basis rewards... should cause some reason for reflection by 'single desk' supporters.

The mess created by CWB 'pool' integrated risk management in volatile markets is massive.

Customers buying our grain are only too happy to hand us these losses... and the risk associated with them... and what have we earned in future personal relationships?

Nothing.

In the end... a system that encourages everyone to call each other idiots... and is based on the principal of taking your neighbour's grain... against their wishes... to profit personally... breeds the same attitude amongst those who purchase our CWB grains.

We MUST end this destructive stupid debate... Adam Smith... that is a certainty.

I am starting to wonder as well... if it is possible to have peace within our western CDN Ag communities... WITHOUT ending the CWB completely?

Comment

Do we really need to pay "professionals" to carry over any stocks whatsoever. Durum got as high as $25 and wheat $24 on the futures and they want to carry over 3 million tonnes. Please will an CWB supporter explain this to me and answer if they could of sold their wheat and durum for this much would they have said no and kept a few bins for next year? I really when it comes down to it that is the real answer. Everyone has the right to do as they see fit. Numbers really in the end are irrevelant.

Comment

vvalk,

"Everyone has the right to do as they see fit."

That is the important debate. The real issue.

Farmers must have the right to sell what they grow. Without it, they have nothing.

Parsley

Comment

CAUSE I HATE GRAIN COMPANIES AND RAILROADS! CAN'T STAND THEM, CAUSE THEY ARE THE SCUM OF THE EARTH. We need a farm organization like the board to represent us, at the table and look out for our interests, keep us afloat. That's it plain and simple, the open market sucks; Look at privatization in AB, lousy service, high prices, gouging and rip off prevail, etc, etc, etc.....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...