• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do we need any wheat board at all?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burbot - If you hate grain companies and railroads soo much you realy should get anouther occupation. We have no choice but to work with either. We are a grain exporting nation, with no option other than grain exporters and the rail to move grain. Think outside the box man, grow pulses, grains for feedlots, canary seed, mustard, whatever, there are options to avoid the "evil multinationals".

Comment

Most farmers I know would never, ever, ever, want a farm organization to "keep them afloat" !!!

What an ignorant statement.

Lead, Follow, or GET OUT OF THE WAY!

That is what true business people want.

Comment

Burbert. I'm sorry but you really are an idiot. You never EVER have anything relavent or constructive to say. Just a guess but you must be part of that older generation that does not want to see any change. Either quit or modernize your farm. And by the way these big bad companies sell 1/2 the grain anyways and export for the CWB the other half. All the CWB is is a broker. Mind you a very expensive broker. A grain company could do what the board does with a dozen people or less.

Comment

Well Adam to answer your original question it would be scary...

Comment

Hi Burbert, I just heard of a guy looking for a few good men/women like you. Look up Kim Jong-il under North Korea sounds like you have a little in common.

Comment

Do you feel that blankey-need for a voluntary canola marketing board?

How about a lentil marketing board?

Or a chickpea marketing board?

I've been playing summer for three weeks, so I am having a difficult time trying to think of a reason why in the world we need a wheat board at all.

Winter might be a better time for Board supporters to answer the question. Winter brings dread.

Parsley

Comment

The simple answer is No we don't need it.
                If some thing costs me money on our farm year in year out and were not getting any benefit from it we eliminate it. Then why when the CWB costs us millions don't we eliminate it.
                All you CWB supporters what don't you get.
                Cost vs Benefit.
                Lots VS None.
                Every other crop make some money Vs Lose every year even when HRS hits 24 and Durum 27.

Comment

Burburt,

I note the CWB protects you from neither the grain co's... or the railroad!

Infact... the CWB depends upon both... to implement the CWB Act... and do its work.

The very folks you 'hate' market more of your CWB Grain... than does the CWB itself!

Stock swaps... Agents sales... domestic sales to mills etc... US sales...

Comment

I would answer the question with
                    because some farmers want one.
                    I belong to the local co-op, and buy some co-op hail insurance. and was a director for the local credit union, I like the idea of a sense of ownership and if there are dividends at the end of the year I'll get some back.
                    As I see it We can run the CWB like a business offer competitive services and if there is a profit redistribute based on the business done ( notice I never used the words pool or pooling.
                    I believe that these businesses offer some competition too the market place and that if the current CWB can't compete it should get out of the way.
                    I see a market for the services of the new CWB because some people don't have the knowledge or skill set to properly market their produce and will likely hire someone anyways that way they can focus on production like they always wanted.
                    NO one should be forced to belong to any organization yet why would you fight if someone tried to bring another buyer into the market place.

As for not voting because you think it's a flawed process, that gives you a monopoly since 1998.
                    We've had ten years of this failed experiment in shared governance ,and all it's left us is cynical.

I'll try and respond if any one wants, but if I don't it's because I'll be combining tomorrow the red lentils are ready and I better take em!

Comment

"some people don't have the knowledge or skill set to properly market their produce" Huh?

And who determined this proclamation-revelation ?Too much listening to Ian White?

........that statement sounds as if it's out of the mouth of the Board itself.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I've never met a farmer who didn't know how to sell his old bull.

I've never met a farmer who didn't know how to sell his canola or FIND OUT.

I've never met a farmer who didn't know how to sell his flax or FIND OUT.

..who didn't know how to sell his lentils or FIND OUT.

..who didn't know how to sell his canary seed or FIND OUT.

Scheez.

I have faith in farmers to find out.

And exactly how does one determine who is a competent marketer and who is not?
                      Fertilize them with self-doubt?

I find farmers are the most amazing members of any industrial sector at learning new skill sets. Sophisticated machinery. Computers. GPS. Technology. Farmers live and absorb farming. They read. Attend sessions. Trade information. They go to the neighbors to "Try it out".

The one thing that farmers have been told over and over is that they cannot market wheat and barley because they have no skills. No knowledge.

Farmsector-deprecating attacks do not serve farmers.

I have little patience for self-serving propoganda that implies farmers are stupid and incompetent, while the CWB, as is, or revised,or overhauled, is the wheat and barley medicine man.

Parsley

Comment

just_wondering;

Your 'Local CO-OP' will do many times better marketing your grain... than the CWB ever did!

WHY?

Because the CWB 'single desk' philosophy is that; If the CWB sells it... it obtained a profit.

How sick... stupid... and offensive the CWB 'single desk' mentality is.

1. Hard work... will help us to learn much... and

2. If we are willing to learn from our experiences... that we are disappointed in the results that happened (should be normal 'self improvement' response)... we can build personal relationships that could result in a share and prosperity creation in value chain participation.

Even if those we have trusted... rip us off... we can learn from the experience... and prepare to prevent the same mistake the second time around! "First time shame on you... second time shame on me"!

Getting 'something for nothing' is a 'single desk' fantasy... that the real world never delivers!

Being at the "right place"... at the "right time"...
                        is NOT Luck...
                        It is the result of hard work and discipline... contrary to anything the CWB may spew!

This is why CWB buybacks are so offensive to so many!

If the CWB would get its collective head out of the sand/clouds... and do a decent days work for their wages...

WITH INTEGRETY and RESPECT for 'Designated Area' Growers...

instead of using the 'single desk' crutch/theory to justify what they have done...

(WHich has been to steal others work and discipline... which they believe the 'single desk' entitles them to...)

perhaps then they would be worth having as a "designated area' growers marketing partner!

INFORMA got it right... the AB Gov did us all a big service in enough discipline to get this work done!

IT IS HIGH TIME to Take the hand cuffs off 'Designated Area" grain growers... and allow innovation and hard work decide who is the 'best marketer'!!!

SHAME on CWB Managers/Directors... to force me into this stern lecture... they all SHOULD know better!

I am NOT Perfect... not by any stretch...

HOWEVER

CWB 'single desk' theft ...from... and lack of respect ...for... those they are supposed to serve ("designated area" growers)... MUST STOP.

Comment

“Concentrated power is not rendered harmless by the good intentions of those who create it.”

Milton Friedman

"FEAR OF SPEECH
                          The playing field is levelled a bit for Wheat Board director elections

Last week the government served notice of a regulatory change in the regulations under the Canadian Wheat Board Act removing the $10,000 spending restriction... The proposal was duly published in Canada Gazette and, as required by law, is open for public comment until Sept. 1....
                          The Wheat Board said it would make a submission opposing the change but suggesting that candidates be allowed to spend more.

The whiners were out at once. The National Farmers 'Union' said there will be “unlimited propaganda” against the single desk monopoly....the change merely levels the playing field, which as been badly tilted since the election procedure began in 1998. The Board itself is prohibited from openly supporting any candidate financially, but it loses no opportunity during the election period, as during all other times, to keep itself in front of voting farmers."
                          Morris W. Dorosh Agriweek Aug 11/08 edition

Comment

Tom: The government is playing "dirty pool" again and having been defeated twice by the courts are now trying to pull a "shady". Talk about a lack of credibility and ethical behaviour...another fine example.

Comment

re: "some people don't have the knowledge or skill set to properly market their produce"
                              I'll put it this way if you gave me 10,000 tonnes of grain and and for example chaffmeister or Brenda lepp I would bet 75 times out of 100 they would out market me. (though I bet I'm a better at agronomy) sometimes I would make different choices an sometimes they would turn out to be better choices.
                              I am not trying to put fear into peoples minds or imply that farmers are stupid just that every one goes through a different matrix in determining actions.
                              I am not an agriculture economist and I play a very poor one on the Internet.
                              sometimes part of being a business person is hiring out the skill set that you lack, and realizing where you could use some help.
                              That's where I see the new NON-single desk CWB providing skills to those who might need them.
                              Hell If I had it my way there would be a waiting list to acquire their services, and if they don't provide value close it down.

Comment

Wilagro,

So the CWB directors having billions at their 'single desk' disposal... to stack the media with pro-single desk propaganda... allowing third parties the same opportunity to spend their own funds... is 'dirty pool'?... a portion of these funds are my families funds... by the way...

You certainly have a very strange sense of 'Justice"!

So only the CWB has the right... to talk/spend/advertise about the 'single desk'?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...