• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CFA President steps down ...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CFA President steps down ...

CFA President steps down to pursue career in politics

OTTAWA--CFA President Bob Friesen today officially resigned from his position as President of the Canadian Federation of Agriculture (CFA) to pursue a career in federal politics, announcing his intent to run as a Liberal candidate in the next federal election.

While Bob and I have been diabolically opposed on many issues, by resigning he did the right thing; however, the bylaws of the CFA might have forced his hand or the BOD may have felt uncomfortable altering bylaws to suit a political will.

read between

Maybe he could get some of his old staff working for him once again:

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:AmbM5d4vFGoJ:www.pmra-arla.gc.ca/english/pdf/emac/emac_20041108_mtg-e.pdf Karla House %2B CFA&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=ca

Last I heard, Karla House works in the Minister of Agriculture's office so she should be more experienced.

Parsley

Don't read between the lines

Comment

Was talking to a buddy today who saw Bob on CBC newsworld after the announcement was made. He is running in the urban riding of Charleswood in Winnipeg which is where Conservative Stephen Fletcher currently has the seat and not in the rural riding where he actually lives.

Last election Fletcher who is a paraplegic went up against former Winnipeg mayor Glen Murray and handed him his butt on a silver platter. If Friesen thinks he can do better for the Liberals in a Winnipeg ridding than a former mayor he's kidding himself.

How many city folks even know what CFA is let alone care?

Comment

Oh, and Friesens first comment on the newsworld clip apparently was something along the lines of, <b>" this is much better than working for farmers".</b>

Supposedly he was trying to say it as a joke, but it came off sounding like he didn't think farmers and farming was overly important in the greater scheme of things and now he was finally doing something important.

As the former head of CFA for what was it? Nine years. You'd think he would know better or have more class than to dis farmers the first chance he gets trying to move into mainstream politics. But who knows maybe this is how he felt all along about the folks he was representing.

Comment

LWeber, did you mean diametrically?

I know he's running for the Liberals and all, but...

Comment

Isnt't having disdain for farmers and agriculture in general a prerequisite if your a liberal politician?

Comment

What are you saying parsley that Karla House is actually a Liberal?

You sure can throw it when you want too.

Comment

Nope.

As I wrote:

"Don't read between the lines"

Parsley

Comment

Well Well After years with Ag Canada and all the BS friesen sent our way It now makes sense he was always a liberal. A useless liberal who would rather see us all plant trees instead of grow grain. Make work projects but get no money to farmers. Study everything to death and do nothing. He should fit in very well maybe even become a senator. Farmers see who really represents you!

Comment

Spent a litle time in a past life around Bob, I found him to be a passionate advocate of his vision of agriculture. Though he came from a supply managed background and our viewpoints differ somewhat on what Canadian ag should look like and he maybe was too "program" oriented, he devoted a tremendous amount of time and energy into the CFA and he reflected it's overall membership and should be respected for that.

I always say if you want to have the people taking agricultures message beyond the farm gate to gov't and others you have to be involved and getting your voice included. And trust me I know all the pro's and con's of being involved.

For anyone who had spent time around him his decision to go into federal politics really likely doesn't come as a surprise.
                    I would have been more shocked if he'd ran for the Conservatives.

Comment

This from www.portageonline.com/

Goodale Unable To Attend

The Portage-Lisgar Liberal Riding had a luncheon meeting yesterday for local Liberals, agricultural leaders and the Portage business community. The meeting original was suppose to have the Honorable Ralph Goodale speak to the group but due to weather conditions in Regina, he was unable to attend. Manitoba Senator Sharon Carstairs who is the Co-Chair of the Manitoba Liberal Campaign, spoke in place of Goodale's.

She notes if the federal election is called today, there will be a good fight in Manitoba due to having new candidate running for the Conservatives. Carstairs feels the election in the Portage-Lisgar riding will be about the Canadian Wheat Board something local farmers value and appreciate.

She says she is looking forward to a good election battle

------------------------------------

So the Liberals send a farmer advocate into Charleswood (one of the more high income areas of Wpg) to connect with people,

And an Ex River Heights (the area right beside Charelswood) Prov. MLA out to one of the bluest of Tory Blue Ridings in MB, to connect with the farm community ???

And she thinks the CWB is something Portage-Lisgar farmers value the cwb?

Y--e-ah, Uh huh!

Who needs to watch Just For Laughs when we can watch the Liberals on the prairies!

Comment

oops,

my fingers kinda type cwb all by themselves by instint,

should read,

And she thinks the CWB is something Portage-Lisgar farmers value?

Comment

So who is the Liberal running in Portage-Lisgar?

Comment

Did some digging and it looks like they don't have one yet, or if they do they say they're not saying, which to me says they don't have one.

Maybe Bill Toews should run. If it works for Flaman it should work for Toews.

Comment

FarmRanger

No irony in the devil...lol

ur right - i'm wrong.

Best,

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...