• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeff Nielsen CWB district 2 director candidate

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He doesn't have to answer any questions but perhaps the farmers in his district might consider these questions. Its nice to say we will give everybody choice but what's the plan? If these changes are made there is no going back that's it. So should we not plan for these changes and discuss options? As I understand it the previous rep did not distinguish himself at the board tables.

Comment

But the previous rep distinquished himself in the eyes of his district #2.

Count his votes.

And in the eyes of the rest of the choice-voters in the Designated Area who depended upon his solid principles to provide leadership and direction and dependability and focus, he is indeed distinguished.

Did you ever notice that the CWB's farmer polls show consistently less support for the CWB over the years of Chatenay's term, and therefore consistently reflect and support Chatenay's marketing-choice direction?

A Directorship was not a career stepping stone for Chatenay; he was in it for farmers. Each one of them thought so too. Each one, agstar.

Count his votes.

Parsley

Comment

Easy to vote but much harder to make a positive contribution, if you are a one trick pony.

Comment

If the absence of agstar's-private-plan-in-the-hand is causing you a sleep-disorder, think oats, agstar.

Yes, oats.

I missed the reading the studies for oats, and in particular, the somewhat gray submission of "Marketing Plans 401".

I also missed the "Fifty Thousand Dollar CWB sponsored Applications for the Study of the Selling of Oats".

I'm presently trying to locate a reclamation booklet titled, "Sowing Wild Oats, One Hill at a Time."

Anyhow, without the above planning, the distinguished Directors realized oats would never sell.

Tonight, I gotta hang garlic bulbs over every doorway in the house to keep distinguished Directors out.

Parlsey

Comment

I can understand your view, as the CWB certainly has shown farmers their bag full of tricks.

However, some contributions are measured over a period of time.

Like...ah... not just the king owning land.....like ah....painting the Mona Lisa...like ....ah, farmers not being jailed for selling what they grow.

Those are gold-nugget contributions that will last the test of time.

You have different values, agstar.

Parsley

Comment

Agstar - some quick answers to your questions (with apologies to Jeff Neilson for hijacking his thread):

<i>So the CWB loses its control over farmer sales. How do you envision the free market working with what is essentially a grain broker?</i>

The CWB would become an Accredited Exporter for the grain companies. If Northern Sales (owned by a Jewish family) can be the number one AE into the Arab world for the CWB, I'm sure the CWB can find its niche.)

<i>How will the brand integrity of Canadian grains be maintained or does it matter? </i>

Talk to Alberta Beef – they know how its done. (It’s not that hard really.)

<i>Do we go for a free for all system as in the U.S.?</I>

What you call a free for all is a “competitive marketplace”, where competition keeps everyone efficient. and the answer is yes.

<i>Who guarantees payment and there is a real competitive market?</i>

Not really sure what you mean there, but, on the payment guarantee thing, how about we ship on approved irrevocable LOC, like most others? OR – EDC can help out.

<i>Will grain companies work for better transport rates?</i>

The short answer is yes. (You really aren’t familiar with a competitive market, are you?)

<i>If the U.S. decides they don't want you sending grain across the border individually, who will argue for you?</I>

You haven’t been paying attention. The US trade actions on Canadian wheat have all been about the CWB – not Canada, not wheat – just the CWB. Don’t you wonder why they would go after one crop (wheat) and leave all the others alone (canola, flax, oats, barley, etc)?

Comment

Why does Agriville now not accept apostrophies?

''''''''

Comment

Agstar -

To answer your questions, you need go no further than here:

http://www.agr.gc.ca/cb/ip/pdf/final_251006_e.pdf

I know all your old rehearsed answers, so don't bother posting them here. They don't hold up.

Ontario Wheat Producers Marketing Board, the AWB (see the other thread), hog boards across this country, and countless other examples of voluntary marketing boards and/or voluntary pooling are working.

The CWB could too, if a mindset of change could get a foothold there. I trust Jeff will try and instill that kind of thinking.

And frankly, that will be your duty Jeff. Once elected your responsibility is to the organization. To keep the place going in the direction it is now headed will mean the end of it. It must be radically reformed to survive and be any of value to us.

Comment

Chaff: who cares if a company's owners are jewish? What a stupid comment. I hope you aren't running in the CWB elections.

Comment

I wouldn't be using the hog boards for an example. Hog marketing is now controlled by a few large packers no freedom to choose there. As for rail and other transport rates the american system is a wonderful example of how savings are passed on to producers. The trade actions were against the grain volume not the shippper. If we try to ship all of our wheat through the U.S. market, it will be closed. If you sell it in Canada to a U.S. multi maybe they will let it in. But don't count on individual farmers sending all our production across the border. They are not major producers of oats or canola , we are not a threat.

Comment

GrainBeetle:

Think about it for a minute.

A Jew. Selling to Muslims.

Do you follow the news at all? Jews and Muslims don't exactly get along - never have. For a Jew to successfully deal with Muslims is nothing short of remarkable.

Congratulations. You've distinguished yourself as the first person not to get it.

Comment

"Hog marketing is now controlled by a few large packers no freedom to choose there."

A person cannot accomplish anything when plugged full with defeat, agstar.

Can hog producers get together with other pork producers, and market pork halves to Hong Kong, and transport them daily on refrigerated cargo planes?

Yes they can.

Why is it possible?
                          Freedom to choose.

Parsley

Comment

Agstar:

<b>The United States has investigated the operations of the CWB nine times since 1990.</b>

Taken directly from the Foreign Affairs and International Trade website.

http://w01.international.gc.ca/Minpub/PublicationContentOnly.asp?publication_id=379586&L anguage=E&MODE=CONTENTONLY&Local=False

Another quote I like (same document):

<b>"The American agriculture sector must not be paying attention," said Agriculture and Agri-Food Minister Lyle Vanclief. "Canada has turned back each and every U.S. investigation into the Canadian Wheat Board for alleged unfair subsidies or violations of trade agreements.</b>

So Agstar, it's not the <b>volume</b> of grain, its the perception of unfair subsidies and violations of trade agreements. In other words, it's the organization that concerns them, not the tonnage.

The sooner the Borg understands this the better.

Comment

There is more choice in how I can market my hogs than you think agstarr. But there is only one buyer for my wheat the CWB.

You talked about only a "few" buyers for hogs, few (being plural) is still far better than one (being singular)when it comes to having choice.

Once you're done convincing everybody that a no choice monopoly equals choice do you think you can spend some time on the perpetual motion machine?

Comment

Thanks to all the great comments. I hope this support for choice is resonating though districts 4,6,8, and 10 as it is here in district 2.
                                This election is not about the CWB its self, but its monopoly on wheat and barley. Clearly it can and will survive with out being a monopolist. Producers have asked that it does!
                                And they have asked that it still be there as a avenue of one of many choices producers want to use.
                                Perhaps Agstar I am just as stubborn as you, yet with my eyes wide open, I see the potential for the CWB to continue and provide options for prairie producers. One that respects and supports its producers who choose to use it.
                                Jeff

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...