• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats an Average crop to some is a bumper to others.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats an Average crop to some is a bumper to others.

I travel throughout lots of Saskatchewan and Manitoba in the summer and have been criticised for my calling this years crop an average. Hey if your farming at Kamsack 60 wheat is average, 50 canola but if your farming at swift current 60 durum and 40 canola is a bumper. But this year with the quality problems in Alberta, southern Sask and Manitoba and the drought reduced crop in Northern Alberta plus frost damage it will come out as an average crop for most of Canada. But saying what your yields are is it really in the best interest of you the farmers. Come on its nice to brag that your canola went 60 but isn't it better to let the neighbors keep guessing for years what your canola really went. Having some people year after year telling tales of big yields yet when you look at his bin space, couple of 3300 bushel bins and a little pile on ground and then farm auction sale. I for one believe in being modest about your crops. I for one believe like my father, when some one asks hows yours running he always said yea its OK never a number just yea its OK.
    Good luck with the harvest. (Watch the USA, Argentina and Australia Crops)

when I ask someone how it is running - I don't expect a run down on the fields. If a guy says "I am happy all things considered" I know his bins are filling up and he will be there next year. When people ask I say its a good crop and quickly change the subject to prices from the board because we have missed an opportunity to make some incredible money this year. The US farmer locked in durum for 15 bucks in feb 08 and now we will be lucky to see 8 this year.

And the grading is insulting this year on durum. Pioneer at reed lake is grading hard. I think they know lots of durum went in where it should not have and they have to make provisions to blend that off. One guy took a load in and they graded it hard and he drove the load home. You would think that would send a message.

Comment

50 bpa Canola is average for Kamsack???? Whatever!!!

Comment

...remember the true yield is only known after its sold...

Comment

Each to their own, some guys brag yields, some brag how many quarters they farm, how big their combines, how many cows etc etc. Personally I'm interested in net margins.

Comment

Snapper you never seen big crops. In NE Sask they produce big crops year in year out, except for the frost year of 02 and 04, take a drive. Guys from Alberta and over seas who are buying land near Regina and moose jaw you picked the wrong area for yield.
            Have a good one.

Comment

here are the average canola yields for rm 271 kamsack and rm 273 veregin for the last ten years. i'm sure there are farmers with consistently better than these. this comes off the sask ag website.

Rural Municipality Crop Yields

Crop Year RM Canola (bu/ac)
              1998 271 25.4
              1998 273 24.9
              1999 271 29.5
              1999 273 29.5
              2000 271 28.6
              2000 273 26.9
              2001 271 26.4
              2001 273 24.8
              2002 271 23.8
              2002 273 23.3
              2003 271 33.3
              2003 273 27
              2004 271 18.3
              2004 273 22.7
              2005 271 34.7
              2005 273 32.4
              2006 271 33
              2006 273 32.5
              2007 271 24.6
              2007 273 23.5

Comment

Jensend, that is priceless!!!!!!!!! LOL!!

Comment

There is no area in Sask that averages 50 bus canola. There are on some occations small areas that may get 50 , and this is one area. Camrose - Red Deer - Westlock is one of two ares in Western Canada (Central Manitoba the other) that has a shot at 50 averages at best. NE Sask is good but not that good on average. BTW what is average - 3, 5, 10, 20 years? There are some(10-15%) areas here (NW Sask) running 45-50 canola but more running 20-25 bus/ac, with an average being almost bang on 30-32.
                  But I do agree with SF comments on what is average for who. The guys getting 25 bus crops are not happy but that is their long term average, a small number of others are close to their averages at 40 . This year farming practices were a huge determining factor. Weed control timing and fert were huge factors - as usual.

Comment

Boys boys boys. Take that provincial Average book and Put it you know where. Its avearage. Yes so some get 50 plus and some 12. What I am talking is progressive farmers that are following a different play book than the average Joe. Variety is huge, Fertility is huge, timing of swathing is huge, Seed numbers is huge, and weed control is huge, One note RR ready cost you money and don't give yield. Why do you think field of dreams is in the Kamsack Hyas area. HM.
                    Yes big yields are in Manitoba on general. NE E NW Sask has potential and Northern Alberta hugging the mountains and down to US border. Palliser triangle is not.
                    Go for a drive with a guy harvesting in these areas and watch the monitor. Or just go to Swanriver manitoba and see what farms look like.

Comment

SF3

Yield... is all about 'timing'.

No Hail....

Long frost free climate... (May 10 to Sept 10)

Rain at the 'right' time... not too much... and of course enough to satisfy the plant...

Not too much wind....

Good yields are a blessing... something we do not 'earn' or deserve...

They create 'prosperity'... for everyone... cause farmers are the best people at 'sharing' this blessing... of any group of folks on average...

God Bless Canada... and thanks to the creator for our blessings!

Which can be a smile as much as a toonie...

A kind word and a sweet thought/blessing given in our direction!

All 'sourpusses' need not apply... if we don't have 'enough'... it is cause we don't share enough for people to care!

Loneliness and fear are the culprits who steal prosperity... and they are a state of mind!

A 'bumper crop' is that grin on your neighbours face... whether that person be the elevator manager... grain grader... trucker... tire shop worker... mechanic... or your partner or families respect... that we aren't just grumps/slavedrivers who know it all!

SF3 a bumper crop is saying... 'have a great day' and meaning it.. even when it was not deserved!

A 'crop failure' is a sneer and greedy spirit that says 'you took mine'...

Cause we came into this world with nothing but our spirit... and leave the same way... with a satchel of memories!

NOW... HAVE a GREAT day...

: ) GRIN!

Comment

here i threw in swift current (137) to compare to kamsack and veregin (271 and 273) but i guess a lot of the canola in the southwest would be grown on summerfallow. the website to get these stats is http://www.agriculture.gov.sk.ca/rmyields

kind of interesting to play around with. shows that some guys confuse average with potential.

Crop Year RM Canola (bu/ac)
                        1998 137 21.9
                        1998 271 25.4
                        1998 273 24.9
                        1999 137 27.4
                        1999 271 29.5
                        1999 273 29.5
                        2000 137 27
                        2000 271 28.6
                        2000 273 26.9
                        2001 137 12.2
                        2001 271 26.4
                        2001 273 24.8
                        2002 137 25.1
                        2002 271 23.8
                        2002 273 23.3
                        2003 137 13.7
                        2003 271 33.3
                        2003 273 27
                        2004 137 31.1
                        2004 271 18.3
                        2004 273 22.7
                        2005 137 18.8
                        2005 271 34.7
                        2005 273 32.4
                        2006 137 20.6
                        2006 271 33
                        2006 273 32.5
                        2007 137 9.7
                        2007 271 24.6
                        2007 273 23.5

Comment

...i would hope for the swift current farmers sake they're input costs are low

Comment

I see the comment that the palliser triangle cannot see big yields year in year out. I agree it is more risky here, but not to being able to rely on good yields is false as far as I am concered. In our area summerfallow durum is going as high as high as 70 bushels an acre this year, previous years the same. Last year guys were seeing 40 bushel canola, this year in the 50 range. Hearing 40 to 50 bushel lentils stands granted that is not average. Just trying to state that just because we are in the palliser triangle does not mean there are not be crops to be had here

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...