• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wonder what the buyback is on the wheat?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonder what the buyback is on the wheat?

10/21/2008 5:12:00 PM

A community-supported agriculture (CSA) project in British Columbia's southern interior plans to move Creston Valley farmers' grain to Nelson -- by sailboat.

The CSA project, which bills itself as the first such project for grain in Canada, will move sacks of Red Fife, Khorasan and hard spring wheat, spelt and oats on a "fleet" of sailboats from Kuskanook, about 25 km north of Creston, up Kootenay Lake to Nelson -- a trip which by truck would meander over about 150 km of mountain highways.

The grain is destined for a Nelson bakery, which bought 2,000 pounds, and for another 180 CSA project members, who each paid $100 to receive 100 pounds of grain.

"My initial motivation to have grain grown locally was to reduce greenhouse gas emissions," said CSA project founder Matt Lowe of the West Kootenay EcoSociety in a release Monday.

"I never imagined that there were farmers out there eager to grow grains with horses instead of tractors and I certainly had never thought that anyone would propose to transport the grains via sailboat."

The boats are to leave Kuskanook early Saturday afternoon (Oct. 25) and reach Nelson late Sunday afternoon (Oct. 26).

This year's project involves a group of "local food advocates" as well as three farming families, a bakery and two millers. "There are also many bakeries, restaurants and grocery stores who are all expressing an eager interest to become involved next season," project co-ordinators said in Monday's release.

"I was inspired by the local grain project the moment I heard about it," said Jay Blackmore, a member of the Kootenay Lake Sailing Association whose boat will be involved in this weekend's grain handle, in the CSA release.

LWeber,

In 1998 Goodale took Creston Wyndell out of the 'designated area'. Always before it had been included and even had an Alberta Wheat Pool elevator.

In 1983 the Creston Grain Growers got no-cost export licenses... with exemption quota... and ever since have been not required to deal with the CWB.

When I pushed the CWB in 1996 on this exemption... the CWB staff claimed Creston was exempted because they got poor service from the railway and AWP elevator... which entitled them to the no-cost export licenses!

Their local MP and B.C. Provincial gov. were instrumental in getting their exemption.

Comment

tom, you're providing us with the reason WHY the CWB handed out licenses. They can make up any reason. Distance. Volume. Area. Volume. Color of eyes.

The real point is...The CWB can and did hand out licenses, and do when they want to. They never want to for Western farmers.

chaff made the point the CWB were an IMPEDIMENT to the pasta growers. The CWB could have easily decided to hand out licenses to local durum growers, but they chose NOT TO.

Weber had a sharp enough eye to see a group moving grain, requiring a license and probably doesn't have one. The CWB again, had a chance to tell those folks that they must have a license. Did they? I doubt it.

The CWB whisper, "You don't need one" to er, 'special folks'.

A good question to ask is, "What do ya have to do to be special in the eyes of the marketing department?

Jeez. I'm scared to find out.

Parsley

Comment

Parsley,

Intra-Provincial (within the province) does not need a license in any event.

The whole claim is about this wheat being used at home... NOT EXPORTED.

Comment

Right. Glad you know your stuff, Tom. I forgot they made policy for Kuskanookers, et al, but they couldn't for Saskatchewan's pasta plant. Hard to keep up with Board exemptions. The rumor is they made a few discreet policy exemptions one Tuesday night in Latvia when they landed there to re-fuel on their way to Iraq, but I'm pretty sure that's gotta be a wild story. Parsley

Comment

And then there's policy adjustments.

Organics had a set buyback but conventional growers were so ticked, not because, Westerners could skip the buyback as does Ontario,mind you, but because organics was getting a lower buyback than conventionals were, so they over-complained loud and clear.

Taking into consideration the fuss-level, the set organic buyback policy was officially no longer considered a sound policy by the CWB, and was 're-adjusted'. Could it even be whispered it was to fulfill conventional farmers' tolerance levels.?I'll let you draw your own conclusions about both.

With a CWB election looming, how many policy adjustments and considerations and also re-re-re-evaluations are presently ongoing?

Only two monopolists were left to play poker in Latvia. Now there is one. Call them. Vote. Pars.

Comment

"not because, Westerners could skip the buyback as does Ontario"

should read:

not because, Westerners could NOT skip the buyback as does Ontario

Comment

Parsley,

This system is the 'Monty python' of Canada... anyone that thinks Canada is a lazy flair Capitalist economy.. is right!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...