• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Estimates of Canadian Producers' Flaxation?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Estimates of Canadian Producers' Flaxation?

Is there any study or estimate sheets concerning the total cost of flaxation on both organic and coinventional flax producers in Canada, including the seed growers flaxation costs which will supposedly be paid by the CFIA?

(Flaxation is the flax testing taxation imposed upon farmers)

Lets see.

750000 tonnes times 39.4 equals 29,550,000 bushels divided by the required 5000 bushel lot equals 5910 tests at 105 bucks a pop equals 620,550 buckaroos for the labs. Indefinitely.

Someone check my math. I must have missed something.

Comment

Now,be a smart farmer and look ahead:

1. The smart kids flick the iron(ferris/ferric) gene into the 888Event flax in Aug/2011

2. The smart kids also flick the selenium gene into the 666 Event flax Jan/2013.

3. A 90yr old geriatric dies in 2016, because he inadvertantly ate iron in his flax, and he was told to avoid iron.(Don't laugh. McDonald serve hot coffee too hot, right?)

4. Gene testing found the 888 crossed with the 666 in the field,(damned open pollination).

5. What kind of liability insurance will producers buy from the gene companies to cover producer liability actions? What's a fair premium? Pars

Comment

Yeah lets keep developing these high class grains so the world can shit on canada and buy cheap grain. GM has done that and it really worked out well for them.

Same thing with developing specialty durum. Absolutely marvelous especially when the cwb has not moved 1 bushel of the 09 crop.

Comment

Bucket, are you absolutely sure that each 5000 bushel lot has to have a test completed. A Viterra rep/marketer suggested that this was a recommended number, but not a requirement. Is he correct?

A hundred dollars is one thing. A hundred times 20 tests to begin with, times a career, is quite another. It will cause me to adopt "the my choice principle" that "my first loss will be my smallest." I will leave this market to those who don't object to the I'll pay to test model, and hope that the EU instead pays through the nose for a dwindled supply.

It will be really interesting to see the flax acre projections for 2010.

Comment

I got my results this afternoon.Sample was delivered on Nov 10th. Three phone calls later--- had to leave message as no person answers the phone. Results were negative-- west side of Lake Diefenbaker.

Comment

I got my results this afternoon.Sample was delivered on Nov 10th. Three phone calls later--- had to leave message as no person answers the phone. Results were negative-- west side of Lake Diefenbaker. Now i can sell flax-- missed a 9.00 dollar market in Moose Jaw. Thank you to the Triffid growers.

Comment

I've found at least one buyer who has offered to pick up the testing costs for my flax. Now, I'm not so foolish as to believe that I won't have the hidden test cost buried in the price, or some other after scale practice, but at least they appear worried about a backlash.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...