• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8.5% and I'm not kidding..

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.5% and I'm not kidding..

From August 1st, 2009 until Oct. 26th,2010 all totalled CWB grain receipts totalled only 8.5% of total gross sales on this farm. And they wonder why I could give a hoot who is running in the election. This means I have been solely responsible for creating 91.5% of my cashflow. I dont think i need the wheat boards help.. Am i missing something please help .. me??

Come on man, you are getting crushed by the evil multinationals and cannot be trusted to try and market your own grain from your own farm. Don't kid yourself, any day now the ADM's of the world are going to swoop in and take over your farm, and once they do they will take over the rest of us.

You would be much better to only plant CWB approved grains and let the good folks at 423 Main market them for you and give you what is left - after marketing expenses of course.

Comment

No doubt JD, I would guess it is about the same percentage on most farms in western canada.

Comment

0% here the last 5 years!!! Might have 3500 bushels of Malt barley this year of 50 acres that I mudded in. Had to get a d@mn permit book to submit sample!!
        It might go for feed anyway "just for the principle " of it.
        If only them F'rs at Big Sky hadn't screwed so many over.
        They are the closest feed user and are "offering" decent $$, just gotta hope they PAY!!!
        Anyone know if they are still paying the .40 -.50 premium to the guys they ripped off last year???

Comment

Was at SWP today guess cwb supporters would refer to them as a bad multinational these days. I wanted a price on 5440 canola seed. They could not give me one yet, they had a bid in trying to bring the price down for us farmers at the moment not accepted. Bad SWP Bad. Shouldn't they just be putting the price up so us sheep could just be ourselves?

Comment

If you have malt please deliver it and help keep a maltster alive. Also that means less barley into the domestic feed market so should drive up prices there too :-)

Comment

0% to the CWB
              For at least 15 years. Pars

Comment

If you can't market your own product, quit farming.

That's my idea...

I don't see a CGB (Canadian Gold Board), or a COB
                (Canadian Oil Board)... or actually a CCB (Canadian
                Canola Board).

On my farm, 0% is going thru the CWB. I grew soft
                white wheat for the ethanol industry instead. Will be
                doing the same next year.

That is, unless pioneer actually calls me back about
                their 895CL program... then it would be 60-40
                CWSWS/CWRS split

Oh yeah. Wheat looks like it will make up 20% of my
                crop rotation.

Comment

Don't forget that most farms only grow 1 crop that is thru cwb and probably 3 or 4 that are not. So here are mine for the past 4 years

2007 41 % cwb
                  2008 54 % cwb
                  2009 67% cwb
                  2010 27% cwb

And by the way Klause, the only farmers I know who actually "market their crop" are the hutterites who sell vegetables door to door...THE REST OF US just Take A PRICE -big difference

Comment

mustardman, if you go onto the open market, make a $1/tonne basis contract, then make a $550/tonne futures contract, and then on top of that buy a call option - I call that marketing your grain, or rather, one way of marketing your grain.

It is much the same as a gold producer markets their gold, or an oil company markets their crude.

Notice doing as above, you are not taking what the elevator gives you. You are locking in what they take (their cut = $1/tonne). You are then setting yourself a price, and then also guaranteeing that if it goes up you'll get more.

Or are ya one of the guys who thinks that the big bad elevator companies manipulate the Futures market?

Comment

Klause - you are marketing in that situation on canola ,however pulse crops and other oilseeds mustard for example do not have other way but "price taking"

Comment

mussy,

You so underate yoursef and your peers.

Do you really not understand how valuable 'eye to eye' business is?

Do you really not understand how valuable the individual farmer is, in doing business with, in negotiating with, even state buyers?

They WANT to come to your farm, and do business.

You are the expert on your farm!

Banding together with a half dozen of like minded peers makes you a formidable seller, a unit that is real, and sound, and approachable and bloody accountable.

Farmers are very unique because they are wealth creators, RISK takers every time you sow a crop, but mainly because on the most part, they are very an exceptionally decent group of people.

And don't even know it. Pars

Comment

Lots of farmers market their crops, mussy. And do well.

Comment

Hopper Re: 5440 seed,
                            We were told we had to order/pay for ours by end of Sept to save the most $$$, guarantee mini bulk bags and be able to get all the L-150 we wanted.
                            Ended up paying $8.30 for 5440. 2% divedend from CC (no CC surcharge from retailer) and a 2% discount on total bill, So net $7.97/#.
                            No more 864L Liberty totes!!!!
                            Hear any prices for Liberty for next year???
                            Paid $440 for 46 0 0 0
                            $640 for 13 33 0 15

Comment

ry: cc is that co-op? And you mention 2% off total bill, what else besides the 5440? Tech agreement? Is it 2010 seed or carry over from '09 or '08 and what's the seed treatment - prosper? Just currious, that's a good price if new seed with fresh seed treatment. Just be carefull, several farms here got burnt big time with 'good deals' on Liberty carry over seed treated with prosper this year. Prosper can and will hammer seed vigour over time.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...