• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

News: Private Member's Bill: Bill C-619 - An Act to Amend the Canadian Wheat Board Act

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

News: Private Member's Bill: Bill C-619 - An Act to Amend the Canadian Wheat Board Act

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

February 10, 2010

Bruce Stanton, M.P., Introduces Private Member’s Bill to
    Give Marketing Freedom to Western Farmers

Ottawa – Bruce Stanton, Member of Parliament for Simcoe North, tabled a Private Member’s Bill today that would give barley and wheat farmers in Western Canada the choice between marketing their own crop or participating in the Canadian Wheat Board (CWB). Currently, the CWB operates a monopoly over the marketing of barley and wheat produced in Western Canada – that deprives western farmers of the choice to market their product as they choose. Bill C-619, entitled, An Act to amend the Canadian Wheat Board Act (notice of opting out and licence for activities), would permit western farmers to “opt out” of participating in CWB activities for a minimum of two years.

“The barley and wheat that is produced by the hard-working farmers of Western Canada is a product of their own labour and investment on their own land,” said Stanton. “Yet, they have no say as to how it is marketed or at what price. This is fundamentally unfair to today’s western farmers who have never had the freedom to market their product as they wish.”

Stanton’s Bill would permit Western producers to opt out of the CWB by giving notice within a specific three month period (January 1 – April 1) each year. This “opt out” provision would allow farmers a clear choice, while retaining predictability and stability for farmers who choose to remain in the CWB pool. “This Bill strikes a balance – by retaining all the mechanisms of the statutory marketing authority (the CWB) and offering the alternative of marketing outside of the CWB,” he said.

“The final choice of how wheat and barley in Western Canada is marketed should lie in the hands of producers, as it is in every other region of the country.” This Bill would bring fairness and marketing freedom to today’s western farmers,” said Stanton.

Well, it's worth a shot.

Comment

I hereby issue a bet to anyone that will take it for 100 dollars, this bill will die on the order paper because of either the session will end or an election call. and then the PC's will be able to march around looking for our votes again claiming they were going to support it and by that live up to the BS claims they made last how many times that they were going to give us choice.

Comment

NEWS RELEASE

David L. Anderson
        Member of Parliament
        Cypress Hills-Grasslands
        Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Natural Resources and for the Canadian Wheat Board

New Legislation Would Give Farmers the Ability to Opt out of the Canadian Wheat Board

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

OTTAWA, Ontario, February 10, 2011 – Today Bill C-619, an Act to amend the Canadian Wheat Board Act (notice of opting out and licence for activities) was introduced in the House of Commons. Member of Parliament Bruce Stanton (Simcoe North) introduced a Private Members Bill that would allow Western Canadian grain farmers the ability to opt out of the Canadian Wheat Board (CWB).

“Our Government has always been clear that Western Canadian grain farmers deserve the freedom to choose how they market their grain, and we believe farmers are best equipped to make their own business decisions,” said David Anderson, Member of Parliament (Cypress Hills-Grasslands) and Parliamentary Secretary for the Canadian Wheat Board. “Farmers who see opportunity elsewhere should have the same right that all other Canadian farmers enjoy, and this legislation would give them that opportunity.”

If passed, this legislation would add a provision that allows producers the option to seek an exemption from the CWB. To allow for predictability for the Canadian Wheat Board, any producer opting to be exempted from the pool is prohibited from re-entering the pool for a minimum of two full crop years. The producer wishing to opt back into the pool will also be required to provide one year notice to the CWB of their intention to participate. This approach allows for the Canadian Wheat Board to remain a viable option for all those producers who wish to continue to market through the Board.
        The introduction of this new legislation demonstrates once again that the Government of Canada is committed to giving farmers the freedom to choose who they sell their grain to and when they sell it.

Comment

HOBACK ENDORSES BILL TO GIVE WESTERN CANADIAN WHEAT AND BARLEY PRODUCERS MARKETING CHOICE

OTTAWA, February 10, 2011 – Today, Randy Hoback, Member of Parliament for the federal constituency of Prince Albert formally endorsed Ontario MP Bruce Stanton’s Private Members Bill C-619 which would give Western Canadian wheat and barley producers marketing choice.

Currently, the CWB operates a monopoly over the marketing of barley and wheat produced in Western Canada – a monopoly which deprives western farmers of the choice to market their product as they choose. Bill C-619, entitled, An Act to amend the Canadian Wheat Board Act (notice of opting out and licence for activities), would permit western farmers to “opt out” of participating in CWB activities for a minimum of two years.

MP Stanton’s Bill would permit Western producers to opt out of the CWB by giving notice within a specific three month period (January 1 – April 1) each year. This “opt out” provision would allow farmers a clear choice, while retaining predictability and stability for farmers who choose to remain in the CWB pool. The Bill strikes a balance, by retaining all the mechanisms of the statutory marketing authority (the CWB) and offering the alternative of marketing outside of the CWB.

“I commend my colleague (Bruce Stanton) on the introduction of this Bill on behalf of all Canadian wheat and barley producers,” said Mr. Hoback. “Being from Ontario, Bruce has seen how dual marketing has benefitted wheat producers in his province.”

“I wholeheartedly believe that Western Canadian farmers should have the same rights in marketing their product as farmers outside of Western Canada do,” added Mr. Hoback.

“As a former farmer, I am well aware that not having the same rights as my fellow farmers in Eastern Canada puts me and my rural constituents at a competitive disadvantage. A Canadian farmer’s competitiveness should not depend on which region of the country they reside in.”

Dual marketing in Ontario has allowed the previous single-desk Ontario Wheat Board to grow into the multi-faceted Grain Farmers of Ontario (GFO), an organization which represents Ontario’s 28,000 growers of corn, soybean and wheat. Ontario-grown corn, soybean and wheat crops generate over $2.5 billion in farm gate receipts, result in over $9 billion in economic output, and are responsible for over 40,000 jobs in the province.

“The success of the GFO negates Canadian Wheat Board statements that it cannot survive without a monopoly,” concluded Hoback. “In fact, as witnessed in Ontario, the CWB could thrive.”

Comment

One at a time, over the next week, each choice director should resign, and publicly state they favor the bill, they did not favor buyer shps without consulting with farmers, and they worry about the burden both farmers and government may be saddle with.

This one will come down to Quebec.
            Again. A rink versus free marketing.
            Pars

Comment

I like this Bill. It gives everyone what they want. Supporters can keep the board, and I can be freed from its grip.

Comment

I like it too booboo.

But I don't believe in Santa Claus.

Comment

Seems the pro single desk crowd is pretty quiet. I'm sure they will have some valid arguement backed up by a "shipload" of fact and data as to why the western farmers just dont deserve to have a choice.

Comment

The day the Bill is voted on, there should be 1,000 farmers present in the gallery in the House of Commons.Pars

Comment

You're assuming they bring it to a vote. What makes you think that will ever happen? Did their bill to fix the sorry director elections ever make it back to Parliament after 1st reading? No. Not even 10 seconds of debate.

And if they do, and it is defeated as it will be, will we open our wallets again and fill the Conservative Party coffers like we did when the gun bill went down? Not this guy. I'm through with being manipulated and played with.

Comment

Kodiak is dead on!! David Anderson just lost my vote..I`m tired of being played just because it`s election time. Ask them what they want and promise them that, seems to be the Conservative moto, and so far it`s worked. Problem is it leaves no one to vote for..What I want is an indepentant western Canada...Any parties want my vote???

Comment

parsely I take it you will take my bet if you think this will even get a sniff at the floor?

Comment

They introduce a private members bill vs a government bill ,so it will not be a vote of confidence if it is defeated. Offering a teat for all of the crying justforus farmers, so they can say they tried and get your votes in the upcoming election. How hilarious is that. Like a bunch of sheep you will vote for them because they tried.

Comment

b
                              not a chance
                              lol
                              1000 seemed like such a round number
                              and so easy to get committments for, i couldn't resist.
                              c

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...