• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB Ships: send MP's And Minister Ritz a letter!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB Ships: send MP's And Minister Ritz a letter!

February 15, 2011

The Honourable Gerry Ritz
    Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
    House of Commons
    Ottawa, ON
    K1A 0A6

Dear Minister Ritz,

We are writing to you concerning the Canadian Wheat Board’s announcement on February 8 that it plans to purchase two lake vessels for a cost of $65 million.

The Wheat Growers strongly object to this planned purchase. We believe such a purchase goes well beyond the CWB’s marketing mandate. As you know, the mandate of the CWB is set out in section 5 of the Canadian Wheat Board Act which states that the CWB “is incorporated with the object of marketing in an orderly manner, in interprovincial and export trade, grain grown in Canada.” The speculative purchase of ships falls well outside this mandate, particularly when you consider that the ships will often be used to haul commodities other than grain.

We further note that the CWB plans to pay for the purchase by deducting approximately $1 per tonne for four years from money that would otherwise be payable to producers. In essence, the CWB board of directors is confiscating money that belongs to producers – money that is effectively held in trust by them – so as to engage in this speculative venture. Regardless of the merits of the business case, we consider this to be an abuse of their fiduciary duty to farmers.

Even the CWB itself claims that it “returns all revenue, less marketing costs, to farmers”. The purchase of lake vessels, and the contracting of them to a vessel management company can hardly be construed as a grain marketing cost, especially when these vessels will be part of a pooled fleet under the control and direction of Seaway Marine Transport.

Instead of purchasing ships, we maintain that many farmers would rather invest this money in their own farms, their own families or their own communities. The CWB directors should not be permitted to simply “help themselves to other people’s money” to acquire ships or any other capital asset.

If the CWB were voluntary, then we would not object to the purchase of assets, because farmers who did not wish to finance the cost of such assets would be free to take their business elsewhere. However, given the compulsory nature of the CWB, prairie farmers will have little choice but to pay for these ships unless you take action to either stop the transaction or provide farmers with the ability to opt out of the purchase.
    Accordingly, we ask you to take one of two measures:

1) Use your authority under section 18 of the CWB Act to direct the CWB to not proceed with this purchase. As you are aware, the Federal Court of Appeal decision in June 2009 confirmed that the government’s “power to direct extends to the full range of activity which the Act authorizes the Wheat Board to conduct”. It is clear that you could overturn this decision if you so wish.

2) Use your authority under section 18 to direct the CWB to allow any farmer to “opt out” of this purchase and receive all monies that they would otherwise be due if it were not for this purchase.

While either of these measures would be acceptable, we have a slight preference for option two, as it would avoid any penalties that might be payable for cancelling the purchase agreement.

Thank you for your consideration of our request. We look forward to your positive reply.

Sincerely,

Kevin Bender
    President

c. The Right Honourable Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada
    David Anderson, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Natural Resources and for the Canadian Wheat Board

Tom

The conservatives are not listening. Period.

They don't care or this file would have been taken care of by now.

Ritz is just as happy to continuing the saga between the government and the cwb. It gives them all something to do without doing anything at all.

If Ritz had any balls he would have shot down the purchase instead of getting all huffy/puffy in the house.He has the authority to stop the deal whether the cwb thinks so or not.

And yes, I have called the mps offices in sask and ottawa. They don't want to hear from farmers as they say things like "we are working on making marketing choice a reality and we have introduced a private members bill to do just that". Yeah they tried it with the gun registry and lost.

Basically until someone stands up in Ottawa and says the cwb is voluntary, farmers that want choice are screwed.

Comment

Bucket,

IF Chuck had not tried/lost... and the CWB won on the barley choice... we would be in a voluntary CWB right now.

Please do not blame the Conservatives for the meddling of judges.

Comment

The conservatives just had to make the bill, pass it and then fight an election over it. Then they would have their majority.

OR implement the cwb across canada as Easter and Goodale want. Either way the liberals, ndp, and Bloq DO NOT want to fight an election over the cwb.

And yes the conservatives are to blame because they have choices as to how to get the job done. They are not putting any effort into it.

IF they would put as much effort into it as they do for getting cash for their elections, they would have this done already.

Blaming judges is the weakest excuse I've heard.

Comment

I sent a letter to Minister Ritz on Sunday. Stating much the same thing as above. Will send one to my MP as well. Truly fed up with the state of things in "the designated area" .

Steve

Comment

Bucket I agree with what you are saying about the gov standing up for us farmers or rather not doing it. But the part about getting a majority, they already have all the seats practically in the grain growing areas and this is not an issue for Ontario and Quebec where they cannot get more seats unless they secretly fund the big arenas etc.

If they want to kill the cwb they should introduce legislation stating all farmers across the country are equall and fall under agriculture Canada and therefore should be under jurisdiction of the cwb for wheat. Ontario and Quebec mps would shoot it down in a heartbeatm and if they voted against their own bill. This may be a round about way to get it shot down country wide. jmo

Comment

riders2010

They could do it if they wanted to and there are many ways to get it done.

That is what makes me question my support for the conservatives. The liberals will never change the cwb but I know that. I just expected the conservatives to do something - minority or not.

They could implement the cwb across canada and that in itself would put the matter to an end quicker than what they are doing now. Which is nothing.

Comment

I agree I am getting so sick of these games. Pretty soon farmers should realize either they are incompetent to get it done or they are just playing us, either way it's pathetic that our political system operates this way.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...