• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SunTV's Adler on the CWB, Interviews Rolf Penner and others.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SunTV's Adler on the CWB, Interviews Rolf Penner and others.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n-isnTOlnIw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n-isnTOlnIw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Nice! Cam, Rolf you both provided an
    excellent perspective. I especially
    loved the wet blanket/security blanket
    analogy!

My sense is that it's the averaging of
    prices many producers like. It gives the
    impression of the guesswork being taken
    out.

But for the record, I have to make the
    point that ANALYSIS WORKS. There's no
    crystal ball of course, but you don't
    have to take an average just in order to
    not totally screw it up. People exist
    that understand this stuff and do a not
    bad job of interpreting and responding
    to market info and price signals, for
    all crops.

www.farmlinksolutions.ca

Comment

Cam dahl ignorant of the past and Rolf ignorant of the present.

Comment

Proof positive , no flour mills, no pasta plants,
        how can this society be so blind?

Comment

now its the boards fault, i thought getting rid of the crow , would assure
          all kinds of processing here.
          what ever happened to that one.

seem to recall the wheat growers saying that,big freight advantage
          and all

you guys could be
          right everything will be great with board gone. i will live with what ever

and speaking of crow , ,if surpluses reappear and Americans say we don't want your wheat , and the border closes.
          How would you like it done
          BBQ ed , fried ?

your in the driver seat now,so when things go wrong its your fault.
          at least know who to bitch to

Comment

The pasta plant in North Dakota is now owned by Viterra.

Comment

All winter we have been told of the high wheat prices that US producers were getting. $12 plus wheat at the farm gate. That it was the CWB standing in the way of those prices for western Canadian growers.

But my question is, why is the average US farm gate price for wheat in 2010-11 only $5.65 according to the May 11, 2011 WASDE. US growers have never been saddled with a wheat board, they have years of experience in the free marketing of wheat, and oddles of analysts and advisors. Yet last year the average US farm gate price is no better than the CWB average in spite of record high world wheat prices. WHY?

It takes a lot of $3.00 and $4.00 wheat to average and $12.00 wheat down to $5.65.

"I really hope that the "people exist who understand this stuff" can do better in Canada than they did last year in the US.

Comment

Numbers to go with the above comments.

[URL="http://www.ers.usda.gov/data/wheat/YBtable18.asp"]US average wheat prices[/URL]

US prices are for a June to July crop year. CWB for a August to July with the pooling year more like October to September.

If you look at 2009/10 (last final report), the weighted average price for Canadian farmers was about $4.65/bu versus $4.87/bu for all wheat US and $5.16/bu for spring wheat.

Weighted average durum price for Canadian farmers - $4/bu versus US farmer - $5.47/bu.

Comment

Add in the cost of storing durum from years past because of no sales opportunities in Canada and the weighted average price becomes a hell of a lot less then $4 last year. But I'm sure the board lovers here will have a rebuttal for the pathetic performance of their sacred cow.

Comment

Who says the u.s. Is the only market?

Special crop marketers seem to find markets all
                    over the world.

I believe wheat and barley and all value-added
                    products will fit in perfectly.

Comment

Starting Aug of 2012 you guys are gonna get fleeced like good little sheep. AND you are going to like it.

Baaahhhhh

Comment

At least you'll get to pick which sheep you like. Don't some shepards do to sheep what the CWB has done to us for ages?

Comment

Willagro, you can just carry on with your pride
                          and joy. What's the problem?

Comment

<i>" i thought getting rid of the crow , would assure
                            all kinds of processing here."</i>

As long as we have the CWB it's like replacing the dead battery in your car, but neglecting to put gas in the tank. Without both, you're going nowhere.

<i>"Starting Aug of 2012 you guys are gonna get fleeced like good little sheep"</i>

Just like we get fleeced with open market canola. Big bad multinationals driving us away from what could have been a profitable crop if the CWB was marketing it....yeah, right.

If the CWB is really the great marketer they claim to be, they'll have no trouble retaining farmer customers.

Comment

Wilagro, you'll have your chance to show us how
                              well you can do with the board.

They'll start whining about how they can't
                              compete, if their followers are loyal, they still will
                              make the market because they'll have their great
                              market share.

If you are right?.you'll probably be willing to
                              continue to give it to them for whatever they'll
                              give you years after the rest of us are paid-

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...