• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walmarted------->What's behind personal opinions.............

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walmarted------->What's behind personal opinions.............

Lets try to bring several opinions into the same thread.

Is there a possibility that some base human traits (greed ,envy,coveting, suspicion, self-interest for examples, etc) are just being expressed using isolated examples as proof that these traits only affect others and certainly not yourself and your favorite organization or political ideals?
    Should Walmart be vilified?
    What would chuck et al do without employees?
    What are the best examples of how the CWB has really helped "our farm"? (of course without directly taking it out another farmers deserved proceeds)

Maybe it's time to revisit Rod Flaman's classic rant on "raging masses"; "suffering neighbors" and the CWB benefits of seperating a quarter million dollars from a durum farmer who would only have used it to buy another quarter of land out from under someone who needed it much worse.
    Where is the widespead outrage against the personal dreams of free enterprizers to expand, prosper and make another buck?
    Anyone got Rod Flaman's classic rant handy?
    Who can tie all this together?

Ah ha!! Found it Here's the link

http://agriville.com/cgi-bin/forums/viewThread.cgi?1201368010

And here are the very words

Vader posted Jan 26, 2008 12:20
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    talked to a farmer yesterday whose durum went 70 bushels per acre. On 2000 acres the gross revenue is $1,750,000.00.

I have heard similar stories around Kindersley and Swift Current of durum that went 50 bushels per acre. Now that is only $650,000 for a thousand acres but in that case the lentils and canola took him well into the millions as well.

I hear all the time here on angryville the time people like Saskfarmer bitching about the CWB because he can't get $17.00 for his durum and he blames this on the CWB.

In the case of a few rich farmers who can sit on all of their grain while the raging masses sell out early perhaps Saskfarmer has a legitimate argument. Perhaps we did cost him $5.00 per bushel on his durum. Perhaps it ran 50 bushels per acre and perhaps he had a thousand acres. And perhaps he could have earned an additional quarter of a million dollars.

I could argue that this is a zero sum game and that on the flip side there is another farmer that could have had the same 50 bushel crop on the same acreage base of 1000 acres and he could have sold his durum for $7.00 per bushel and for that farmer we made him an extra quarter million dollars. I could argue that for the health of the community it is better that the second farmer is able to pay down his debt and remain a constructive player in the industry and the community while poor Saskfarmer was prevented from expanding his farm by another section. The section that farmer number two may have sold after making his decision to sell his durum at 7.00.

But it is not a zero sum game. In fact we know that the CWB is asking $22.00 per bushel for durum today when the US elevator price reported here on Agri-vill is only $17.00. Now those elevators will sell your durum for $22.00 if they can get their hands on it.

So we see that for starters the CWB is keeping about $5.00 per bushel out of the handling companies pockets and putting it in farmers pockets right now.

Further we know that the average weighted selling price of durum in the US according to the North Dakota Wheat commission is about $10.00. This is further proof of the value of the CWB. The CWB has added to the bottom line of Canadian farmers on a 3 million tonne program an extra $73.00 per tonne or $220,000.00.

So yes the downside is that we kept Saskfarmer from buying another section of land where he might next year make enough extra money to buy out another suffering neighbor who had to sell a section to Saskfarmer.

The upside is that the Ag industry in Canada made an extra almost quarter of a BILLION DOLLARS.

And that is just on Durum.

Wait till you see my analysis on Spring Wheat and Malt Barley.

Rod Flaman
    CWB Director - District 8
    306-771-2823
    rodflaman@imagewireless.ca

Oh and by the way. The CWB Rocks.

End of quote

And that just might explain the mind set of top CWB directors and the unredeemed brownie points being built up by mouth pieces by supposed supporters of a CWB that has morphed into a dispicable monster.

Comment

And we are still waiting for the analysis on wheat.

Comment

AH I love that one it brings tears to my eyes.

Comment

And since I personally phoned Rod Flaman and asked him if he was the author of that diatribe; don't anyone tell me that maybe those weren't his thoughts and words.

Comment

Of course that was back in the days when I was naive enough to believe that common sense; fair play and a sound argument would carry the day in any debate. Now it seems that pissing on someone's grave is one of the greatest victories that can possibly be achieved.

Comment

It appears that Rod may have eaten a little too much organic grain and brain function has ceased.

Comment

Maybe he has been eating the ergot kernels.

Comment

This is a classic:

Where are those speaking notes again?

Comment

Oneoff, Weber, without all the sales data from the CWB in its numerous markets and its competitors over a long period of time how can you pass judgement on the CWB?

Every time I bring up the KFT study, Richards Grays work, or Andy Schmidts analysis all you do is discredit it. Sorry but that is not an argument.

Over the years there were several Directors who were elected and then changed their support to the CWB after learning about the benefits of the CWB.

Further in 2007/2008 Durum hit some pretty high numbers and it was clear that Canadian farmers on average sold for a higher weighted price as a group than did US farmers who primarily contracted in the spring at low values. Sure there was a few farmers who sold at higher values but the overall price benefit was better in Canada. Why not acknowledge this?

I am not sure how or why you think the CWB is your enemy but in essence what you are saying is your fellow farmers are the enemy.

It is kind of like the Montana militia who believe the Government is the enemy or the individuals and businesses who refuse to pay taxes while driving on public roads, sending their children to public schools, and using public health care because they don't believe in paying taxes.

It is also incredible that you probably vote Conservative, complain about the CWB and at the same time in effect support supply management marketing boards for dairy and poultry?

Not to mention that you also benefit from numerous subsidies to agriculture in the form of Crop Insurance, Agri-Stability, and Agri-Invest, fuel tax breaks, publically funded research, subsidies to ethanol.... etc. etc.

Comment

Why not let parents mark their children’s exams while we are at it.

I’ve debated the KFT study with you before - so has Depape. You chose not to answer. That is a skill set you have.

While you continue to link supply management to the CWB - the Dairy Farmers want no part of this debate. All the lobbying they did on your behalf in the 90's is haunting them.

If durum was higher once in 10 years, does that take away a farmer’s right to manage their business themselves. Ask Cotton how that is working for him this year…

Changed their support? With a Chairman carrot; with a save my farm carrot? Lame.

I asked you this once before. See if you have the gonads this time to answer.

You lamented on another post about GM wheat. It indicates that you are on the outside looking in, naive or disingenuous?

Which is it?

There was on old poster in here by the name of Boone. He never died – just resurrected.

Comment

chuck you discredit any study that shows the CWB reduces farmers income, why is that any
                        different?

Will you admit chuck that the CWB suppresses some farmers income while increases some farmers
                        income?

Why not enjoy a dual market where those that benefit from the CWB will and those that want
                        options can have them?

Comment

chuckChuck:

You seem to like Richard Gray's barley study of 2005 (among others).

Would you still like it if you knew he and the Schmitz's had copied someone else's work? Would you still think it didn't deserve being discredited?

Can you spell "plagiarize"?

Would you still defend it if you knew that the work they plagiarized was the Sparks Barley study of 2004?

You didn't know? Well, you do now.

Comment

chuck;;; How much "skin" have you got in the CWB monopoly control of wheat, durum and barley ie. outside the possible export "permits" that may be free or relatively very low cost. There's got to be somethings you truly fear losing; that is very important to you personally. I know that you are concerned about Walmart type control of any sector; how unlucky your kids might be; your fear of many becoming farm employees; land acquisition by those richer than you; the hypocisy of accepting government payments while voting Conservative etc. But there has to be some real burrs that make you put time into defending your position. Just give us one real issue the other side can epathise with.
                            But the CWB has had little to no effect on any of these trends. As was mentioned a few posts back; is it a legitimate policy of the CWB to attempt to redistribute wealth? Does Director Rod Flamans comments not make that totally clear. The answer in my books is that it flies in the face of a country which is striving for free enterprize principles. Or do you support the directors statemnets?
                            As for Canadian supply management for dairy and poultry..... USA fluid milk on the grocery store shelf is priced just as expensive as milk on the shelf 150 miles north in Canada ($4.85 US per US gallon and can be purchased for slightly less per 4 liters in Canada.) Unlike you; I can accept things which don't significantly differ; and instead save the words to report on what does differ in comparisons. When supply management is not serving the consumer well; then is the time to raise that issue. But when turkeys in Canada can be had in season for less than $1.00 per pound (in special promotions) and they are $0.88 or even 74 cents at the Walmart; near Thanksgiving; just what is the significant price difference. To bring this argument into the CWB debate is merely to inject fear and attempt gaining support for a commercial grain producer monopoly that provides no options for a significant number of farmers who wish your hand to be taken out of their pockets.

Comment

"Sure there was a few farmers who sold at higher values but the overall price benefit was better in Canada. Why not acknowledge this? "

And there are a few (obviously including yourself) who benefit from the current CWB. Combined with your acknowlegement that a few could have sold at higher prices; the clear conclusion can only be that you have no problem with your benefit coming at the expense of those whom you have denied marketing options.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...