• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter wheat !!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter wheat !!

We planted 400 acres of winter wheat into really dry soil on the 14th and 15th of september we did not get a good rain on it untill a week ago but the soil tempurature was to cold. Looked at it today and it hasnt even sprouted what will happen to it in the spring will it grow into an ok crop?

With a handle like that, I should be asking you and you not taking any advice from me, not that I have anything of value to offer on the issue but couldn't resist responding.

Makes you wonder if there wasn't some pregerm activity and not much may happen in the spring. Would it help if you dug some up and tried to germinate them in the shop or house? Not sure if I would want to bet the farm on the results though. Time will tell!!!

Comment

i was told years ago the seed has to at least swell in the fall or it won't vernalize and all you'll have next year is vegetative growth. probably more knowledgeable people on here than me.

Comment

We are in the exact same boat as you are only we
        have a thousand acres in. I have heard some say
        that it is better off not germinating unless it can
        get to the 1-2 leaf stage. I have also heard that
        germinating is better than nothing. Time will tell I
        guess.

Comment

We are in the exact same boat as you are only we
          have a thousand acres in. I have heard some say
          that it is better off not germinating unless it can
          get to the 1-2 leaf stage. I have also heard that
          germinating is better than nothing. Time will tell I
          guess.

Comment

OK will also say my stupid part. Winter wheat needs to grow to a point and become dormant and then regrow to mature. If it was planted in the spring as such fall planted but not germinated I think your screwed. and also needs to set enough root to become winter hardy am I not correct?

Comment

Hopper, I think we were told in voc ag
              that un germed winter wheat would still
              vernalize, but not show much maturity and
              yield advantage to spring wheat, but it
              will still set seed. As far as winter
              hardiness, if it aint germed, I think it
              woud be fine, as it would be the same as a
              seed of spring wheat in the soil at this
              time: frozen. Just my opinion.

Comment

Freewbeat,

You nailed it right.
                If the WW isn't thick enough by May 10,
                look at seeding CPS into it to get a
                decent stand.
                We left our WW this Year that was the
                same stage as you have. Weeds become a
                nasty issue in Aug if moisture is good.

PreHarvest kill needed to finish off or
                swath. Crop ins may pay to reseed if you
                push early enough. Report your acres now
                and the problem.x

Cheers

Comment

Have had experience with this over the years. Our last section of winter wheat seeded last fall was in a similar state to what yours is in. We harvested it much later than our more advanced winter wheat and later than our first seeded spring wheat. The plant stand was thinner and we should have sprayaed later than our earlier stuff. Yield was excellent and matched the yields of our ealry seeded hrs but exceeded the later seeded hrs. There are farmers that dormant seed the stuff(very late seeding)with the expectation that forst in the spring will vernalize it. You never know what weather spring will bring. Your worst case is you do what Tom suggests and reseed to cps or even hrs as we do when we have to.

We always get all the other land seeded in the spring and then make the call on the winter wheat to give it as much time as possible. We have never regretted leaving a questionable field for harvest as of yet.

Winter wheat has been a great crop for us.

Comment

I would agree with the comments of north farmer. I have never seen a crop not vernalize when planted in the fall. If it did not germinate it will in spring but will be no earlier than spring wheat. There is a stage in the fall that is sometimes referred to as the black hole. This is some germination which uses seed reserves but not far enough along to allow the plant to use it's own energy. Depending on the winter and spring can have adverse effect. I agree in spring that it is best to go ahead and seed spring crops and leave a decision on the winter wheat till late. I also have been surprised with yields on what would be considered a poor stand.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...