• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The smile says everything....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The smile says everything....

Dear: "Industry"

I regret to inform you that the fairy tail has come to
    an end! Cinderalla has lost her slippers. If you dont
    want to look like a dirty little sister please go quietly
    into the night and not disturb your soy perfect
    sister!!!

What the heck does that mean?

Comment

My interpretation: The "Cinderella" crop canola has fallen from grace and poised to replace it, to some degree, is Soybeans.
      I think I will be trying beans in the not so distant future myself. Some guys have been growing them here with not bad success. I have the equipment(flex head)with auto header height and auto header tilt to get good and low since they seem to be setting the first pods quite low. We roll peas and lentils already so nothing new there. I would like to see a shorter season variety before I commit to too many acres. Someone said seed and innoculants are running about
      $100/ac.(can someone verify that?) Canola will always be widely grown--Overall, I think it is better adapted to our Western Canadian climate than soybeans, but soy will be an option here.

Comment

One day 1/3 soy, 1/3 Hrs, 1/3 canola .

Comment

One of these days Alice......POW!! Right in the kisser!

The Honeymooners I think. Jackie Gleason with a frustrated threat to his wife Alice.

Gleason is the farmer and Alice is the canola ag supply industry.

I was too young to ever watch the show but I recall the saying.

Comment

Only problem with lots of beans and lots of canola is
            lots of leverage in the veg oil market.

Comment

But have to find a replacement for peas. We're to
              wet in late July and August. Beans should fill that
              void. Canola is getting to be a cash cow for grain
              companies who supply seed chem and fert. You
              can't grow a crop that if you have a bad year
              almost takes you down.

Comment

I agree with that,plus moving them may not be to
                hard.

Dumb question,what is crop insurance doing with
                them are they covered?

Comment

There is a very good reason to bring canola back to more reasonable levels in crop rotations. Having said, canola has a very strong customer base starting with a large and growing domestic crushing industry. You can fight with your supply chain partners if you want but a driver is a customer base (export customers like Japan, China, Mexico and domestic crushing that is supplying North America/world markets canola oil/meal) that will consistently buy 15 MMT year in/year out.

I will be curious on soybean agronomics/fit within our climate but that will be another story. Just curious on the marketing side as to who your soybean customers will be and logistics to get to these customers? Obviously, the development of a MB/Eastern SK. crushing industry would be a major benefit (we are importers of soybean meal). There will be challenges if the model to export all soybeans to the US or some other location.

You might also stratgize around the production of non GMO soybeans for the human food/tofu markets but that takes creativity both as individual managers and an industry. Is anybody thinking or do guys just grow commodities and hope for the best price.

Comment

Hasn't canola acreage increased every year for the last six years? Probably time for a correction anyway.

How are you southerners getting seed supply? I heard the "early" soy beans were gone and growing a late variety is a big gamble. I am several heat units short for beans but would be awesome to get another crop in rotation in sask.

What about corn. There is earlier corn varieties than bean varieties out there?

Comment

Farmkid
                      Corn was tried for grain by a couple of guys in the area this year. We are right on the man/sask border, just 80 k east of yorkton.
                      Yields varied from 80 to 110 bushel/acre, moisture was anywhere from 33 to 22 when combining. The higher the yeild, the lower the moisture. Rode with one guy used his d****r head to combine corn and it actually was working really good. Unless you have thousand of acres no need for a corn header. Would recomend trying to use a planter instead of solid seeding, yield difference is significant between the 2.
                      Only problem is early corn seed varieties are probably as tight or tighter in supply than beans.

Comment

Our trading area will have 10000acres in 2013,
                        Cargill will be buying like peas.

Comment

Famaholic, You are correct. The approximate cash costs for a crop of soybeans will run a bit over $100.00 per acre which includes seed, inoculants, seed treatment and all tech fees; this is assuming solid seeded with airseeder, hoe/DD drills, etc. Costs would be a bit lower if they were planted with a row crop planter which typically requires less plants per acre.

Comment

Famaholic, You are correct. The approximate cash costs for a crop of soybeans will run a bit over $100.00 per acre which includes seed, inoculants, seed treatment and all tech fees; this is assuming solid seeded with airseeder, hoe/DD drills, etc. Costs would be a bit lower if they were planted with a row crop planter which typically requires less plants per acre.

Comment

Cotton the way it is right now for Saskatchewan is limited crop insurance coverage for the south-eastern part of SK. Apparently for 2013 much more of the province will be included, although I can't speak to that exactly. FASF would be the one to comment as to what areas will be included in the 2013 expansion. Out here in Alberta we are still behind with nothing in place, but we are working with AFSC to come up with a program that would be used for an all risk program. Currently all that is available in Alberta is hail insurance for soybeans.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...