• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The smile says everything....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thing is that most forget, is that this
    was a stellar year for beans around here
    at least. They actually matured for
    once. And they went 20-25. I will try
    them, but even with cheaper inputs, the
    "retarded" sister still kicks butt.

The staunchest backers of the crop,
    usually seem to have "seed farm" at the
    rear of their farm name. Say it isn't
    so! LOL

I am all for new crops, but I sure
    wouldn't base a one year sort of success
    on how adapted they are. I have seen 4
    or 5 wrecks, and finally a year where
    they yield half decent. Heck, there are
    some still in the field, becaues they
    mature so dang late... Here anyways.

Comment

Farmkid1,

Corn is a VERY bad carrier of Fusarium. If corn... then fusarium is on the corn plant after harvest. If early frost... it is like soy... NO grain yeild.

Now the whole world is messed up with triffid... we may as well get a tolerant imi flax approved everywhere and get on with it!

Cheers!

Comment

Good points, freewheat. Especially the one about the seed reference! But relax... I'm not going to try to sell you anything!
        Truth is, and this is only speaking for myself; I would have grown this crop if I sell them as seed or not. Out our way on irrigation, we have traditionally raised alfalfa as our rotation crop. It offered many benefits; nitrogen fixation, disease breaks from other crops, weed control, lower input costs, spread out the work load, spread out watering requirements, and offering cash flow flexibility. The problem is over the past number of years, our first cut alfalfa is usually a write-off due to rain, then we have to practically give it away. Profitability is dependent on the success of our second cut coming off in better shape, which was usually compromised by the first cut sitting on it for 3-4 weeks in the swath. By going to soybeans, we have every one of the above-mentioned benefits, and it allowed me to get rid of $150,000.00 worth of specialized eqipment to put up hay. The stress level is way lower growing these things over alfalfa, and marketing them is simple.
        You mentioned a very good point about one year's success does not make for suitability everywhere. I feel comfortable talking about them as I have been growing soybeans for 8 years, yet I would not make a blanket statement saying that they are good for all areas. That would be foolish. But for those who live in areas suitable for this type of heat-requiring crop who are interested my advice would be to start small. Try 10, 20 or 50 acres to test the waters. They are not the crop for everyone, but for my operation they will be a permanent part of my rotation. I haven't looked back since I started growing them.

Comment

We have been growing soybeans in the Yorkton area for 10 years now. We average 28 bushels per acre. Canola is around 36. Net dollars, soybeans win. That is not including the rotational benefits (weed control, disease breaks, N fixation, work load spread) for soybeans. We have cut our N purchases by 2/3's.

We grew some corn also this year. 85 bushels per acre, with fertilizer used 3 gallons of Alpine (that's it) on 2 years of soybean residue. Not going to grow corn. Have too many other projects in the fall. Decent economics but we also had 350 extra crop heat units than normal. Variety selection is crucial. Too risky for me (& I'm not scared of risk). With corn it is all or nothing. Soybeans are way lower risk. Only early grain corn variety left is Canamaize 533RR. Maybe Pioneer, but it is cash only, no booking. When working out corn production budgets, put in $1/bushel for drying costs in marginal areas.

Soybeans, there are a good supply (as of now) of proven varieties. Watch for "heat loving" varieties, and ignore most of the CHU ratings. THEY ARE INCORRECT. Too many varieties are listed at 100 to 300 CHU's too low. On normal years they will not mature or yield. We have trialed a bunch of varieties, moved seed around the province, played with agronomy to help make the soybeans work (seeding rates, seed treatments, inoculants, seeding dates, etc.). Most of the wrecks can be related to non informed variety selection, poor agronomic support, cold (never mind cool) climate, or other extreme conditions. The other thing is too high of expectations. They are not necessarily going to replace your best netting crop, they are to extend rotation, help with time management, fix some N, clean up land, and reduce stress. They are NOT for everyone and every place. We are screening for day light sensitive varieties which compensate lack of heat with longer hours of daylight.

SK Crop Insurance has proposed for 2013 that the area covered for soybeans is the majority of the province. Stay tuned and contact SCI to let them know you need soybean coverage.

We love soybeans because access to a roller and having a flex header is the 2 different pieces of equipment. They are fairly drought resistant (they need stored moisture or rain end of July/early August). Our canola acres are dropping, being replaced by soybeans and cover crops. I'm still at Saltcoats, SK.

Yes I'm a seed grower, growing soybean seed. If I wasn't and growing soybeans, where would I get seed? No one else would be running with the ball except for line companies. They don't get excited about soybeans because the are low margin compared to canola. I am looking at making my farm sustainable. Soybeans are making it so. As the acres grow in Saskatchewan and Alberta, plant breeders are noticing and will be developing varieties for us. Until then, we have to do the leg work on keeping them advancing.

Watch what market the grain buyer is selling into (and buying from you). Human consumption market is very fussy. Feed markets are very forgiving. There are processors around the prairies with more coming as acres take off.

I'm open for discussion, on line, by email, on the phone.

Good farming!

Kevin R. Elmy, P.Ag.
          Friendly Acres Seed Farm
          kevin.elmy@friendlyacres.sk.ca
          www.friendlyacres.sk.ca
          306-744-2332

Comment

Sorry for the long rant.

Comment

Hey Kevin,

A question regarding the net of beans
              vs. canola. To recover the 100 to 120
              dollars an acre given up in yield of
              canola vs. beans, I would like some more
              firm numbers. IE. Where do they come
              from?

110 N = 70
              25 P = 20
              10 S = 6

chem. 5
              seed 50

Cost for canola is around 150??

Beans are 100 bucksish?

Yiled 36 canola vs. 28 beans?

8 bu. at $14 is 112 difference?

112-60 = 52?

Where else is the 52 dollars made up to
              have beans net more???

If guys get serious here, they will
              probably want to buy a planter, a flex
              head (granted some may have already) for
              only the one crop. This must be costed
              out as well.

Just wondering how you work your math?
              Not being dumb, or trying not to, lol,
              but I am obviously missing something
              maybe? Beans worth that much more?
              pencilling in fungicide?

TIA!

Comment

And that is for 28 beans too, I have heard
                of lots of 20, lots of 12, lots of 15 as
                well.

Comment

Over the 10 years growing beans, the average price would be closer to $10 for both canola and soybeans.

Canola cost $175 (we use Liberty added $20 to your chem price, for RR need to add $17/ac for TUA)
                  Soybean Cost is $125 (2 passes glyphosate)

Swathing canola vs. soybean rolling - add extra $3/ac on canola
                  Fungicide on canola. Add at least $15/acre
                  We use a 7-35-35-0 blend on our canola, so add $8 for P, $15 for K. Now canola is $216/acre.

On average, we are seeing 30-40 pounds of N fixed for the next year's crop from soybeans. Do you add that to soybeans or to the next crop? This year, we never bought any N. From tissue tests we were adequate, and actually higher yielding than the local average. The fact that we are not as rushed in the spring (soybeans are seeded last). Crop scouting on canola - at what cost? Dockage on beans is rarely over 1%. No grading issues (allowed 5% greens and 15% cracks).

You don't need a planter. Any seeder works. Lots of airseeder seeded acres through North America. Corn, you need a planter. Soybeans, not needed.

Given variety selection, agronomic advise, climatic conditions, yes there are 20's, teens. I will guarantee there are more acres of the same yields of canola out there this year. Soybeans will cover costs this year at 9 bushels per acre. Total costs at 16 bu/acre (quick number). Most canola fields needs 14 bushels per acre to cover cash costs.

There are my numbers. Once again, every farm/area is different. With any new crop, it has to fit your management or cropping practices. For us, canola is a cash pig (sometimes a cow), and too risky, and we are in a fairly productive area. We are replacing those acres with cover crops so we can get our winter triticale on time. Done the numbers on that and they work. When adding a new crop into rotation, it is not to replace the highest netting crop, it is strengthing your bottom line.

Comment

Thanks Kevin, good explanation. You are a
                    convincing fella, alright!

Comment

I'm not trying to talk anyone into anything. Just want people to have honest information to make proper decisions.

Like I said before, there is ugly information and advise out there from people from "soybean" growing areas. Relevant for there, not here. Like double rates of granular, started here. Seed companies are so anxious to get an early maturing variety, they are calling their varieties early. By them calling them early doesn't make them early. Especially when you move them out of Manitoba. We strive for repeat customers and providing honest information. Line companies.... do I won't go there.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...