• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IPSOS Poll: Majority of Western Wheat Farmers Believe New Marketing System Beneficial.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPSOS Poll: Majority of Western Wheat Farmers Believe New Marketing System Beneficial.

Vast Majority (85%) of Western Wheat Farmers Believe the New Marketing System for Wheat Will Be Beneficial (40% Very/45% Somewhat) For Their Business

Profitability Through Market Accessibility (89%) and Determining Commodity Price Levels (87%) Seen as Top Opportunities, While Revenue Certainty and Risk Management (83%) is Top Challenge

Wednesday, November 07, 2012
    Toronto, ON – A new poll of wheat farmers in Alberta, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan conducted by Ipsos Reid on behalf of BASF reveals that a vast majority (85%) of Western wheat farmers believe the new marketing system will be beneficial for their business. Just two in ten (15%), however, believe that the new wheat marketing system will be ‘harmful’ (3% extremely/13% somewhat) to their business.
    Last summer, after close to three-quarters of a century, the Canadian Wheat Board lost its single-desk marketing over prairie grain. New legislation has given Western Canadian farmers the opportunity to sell their crops in an open market.
    Now that the grain can be sold in a freer market system, many Western farmers believe new opportunities will come with such a system. Nine in ten (89%) believe that ‘profitability through wheat market accessibility’ will be an ‘opportunity (34% very much an opportunity/55% somewhat of an opportunity), while just one in ten (11%) say this is ‘not an opportunity’ (2% not at all an opportunity).

Opening up the grain market removes the Canadian Wheat Board’s ability to set grain prices for other markets, thus allowing to farmers to set their own prices. Nine in ten (87%) believe that ‘determining commodity price levels’ is an ‘opportunity’ (32% very much an opportunity/55% somewhat of an opportunity) that the new system provides. One in ten (13%), however, believe this is ‘not an opportunity’.
    Eight in ten (81%) Western wheat farmers say ‘finding new wheat markets’ is a newfound ‘opportunity’ (28% very much an opportunity/53% somewhat of an opportunity), while two in ten (19%) think finding new markets for wheat is ‘not an opportunity’ (3% not at all a n opportunity/17% not very much an opportunity).

Three-quarters (76%) of Western wheat farmers see ‘increased quality wheat samples’ as an ‘opportunity’ (15% very much an opportunity/60% somewhat of an opportunity). One-quarter (24%), however believe this is ‘not an opportunity’ (3% not at all an opportunity/22% not very much an opportunity).

While Western wheat farmers seem open and receptive towards the new wheat marketing system, many still believe there are challenges related with removing the Canadian Wheat Board’s influence. For example, having a single-desk grain market allowed many farmers consistent revenue certainty and risk management. Eight in ten (83%) Western wheat farmers believe that ‘revenue certainty and risk management’ is a ‘challenge’ (33% very challenging/50% somewhat challenging). Two in ten (17%), however, say this is ‘not a challenge’ (3% not at all challenging/14% not very challenging). Continuing on this note, a slim majority (54%) believe ‘finding new means to market wheat’ is another ‘challenge’ (11% very challenging/43% somewhat challenging), although a slight majority (46%) think it is ‘not a challenge’ (6% not at all challenging/40% not very challenging).

Western wheat farmers also feel there are some agronomic challenges. Three-quarters (76%) think ‘smaller yields due to disease pressure’ are a ‘challenge’ (20% very challenging/55% somewhat challenging), while one-quarter (24%) say it’s ‘not a challenge’ (4% not at all challenging/20% not very challenging). A majority (53%) also believe ‘dockage due to changing weed spectrum/weed resistance’ presents a ‘challenge’ (8% very challenging/44% somewhat challenging), while a minority (47%) find this ‘not a challenge’ (8% not at all challenging/40% not very challenging).

These are the findings of an Ipsos Reid poll conducted between October 19th to 25th, 2012, on behalf of BASF. For this survey, a sample of 401 Western Canadian canola and wheat farmers from Ipsos’ producers panel was interviewed online. To be eligible for the survey, producers in Western Canada had to grow a minimum 2000 acres of wheat and canola crops, combined. The precision of Ipsos online polls are measured using a credibility interval. In this case, the poll is accurate to within /- 5.6 percentage points had the entire specified population of producers in Western Canada been polled. All sample surveys and polls may be subject to other sources of error, including, but not limited to coverage error, and measurement error.

Kudos to BASF for doing this
    My question was the CWB so "right" and everyone else so "wrong" with the results of the plebicide or are the die hards starting to come out of the closet and accept the benefits of the open market with the large number of "somewhat" answers to IPSOS questions.

Would like to look oberg in the eye and get his response from this poll today. Its a sad reality farmers have had to put up with this for 3/4's of a century.

Comment

401 farmers...right. That's all the farmers who matter in the west. Total BULLS***.

Comment

Wilagro has stumbled on the right answer but I doubt he knows why. 401 farmers is more than enough sample size, depending on how they were selected. I always maintained that if the acres voted we'd have got rid of the Wheat Board 20 years ago. Make your sample real farmers with - I dunno - 1500 or 2000 acres and BASF's results are completely logical. If you want to sample every fool with 10 acres and 10 chickens then probably those guys still want the CWB.

And what a bit of good luck --- they can still have it.

Comment

wilagro

What do you think of the old cwb not having the finals out until February?

Seems that 75 years experience and they still can't settle the books in a transparent way.

How about the new cwb not indicating how many tonnes are signed up or the fact they can't tell producers why they extended the deadline. Did they make contracts and are now short?

And why are the diehards not supporting the pooling system?

Its the same bunch of ****heads running the day to day operations who couldn't plan a two man rush on a three hole shitter.

Better yet why are the railcars not being sold and the proceeds being sent back to the producers that paid for them as a ROI?

The cwb doesn't need the railcars with the major reduction in tonnes handled by them. So how do I as a farmer get a return on the investment in railcars now?

If the cwb uses the railcars as a revenue source should not all farmers on record be paid a dividend on that investment?

I also think if the cars are transferrred to the new cwb there has to be a line item indicating the purchase and then where does that money go? It should be sent out a payment of some sortand then the new cwb can carry that debt on their books.

Same with the lakers, the office building etc.

Comment

Wilagro, i'll get paid in full for this
            years wheat before i get fully paid for
            the wheat delivered a year ago. I'd say
            that's beneficial.

Comment

I will play both sides have to agree with Wilagro that sensoring 400 farmers that grow a min of 2000 acres of either canola or wheat is not going to get accurate results. We have no idea on their sprecific locations, what about farmers that grow barley or durum or other crops? Looks like they could be picking the farmers to get the results, its possible very possible, this is how the shit hits the fan. And just thinking it may have cost BSAF 100 dollars per polled farmer to do this survey likely much more any ways that is minimum 40 grand and what the hell for? BASF has in my opinion no interest in what farmers think of marketting their wheat, they so stupid they don't even know to poll barley growers. That all said the CWB polls did not represent farmers well either. I am just upset that if they want to do a poll then do it right. We spend way too much on BSAF products.

Comment

Hopper,

Clearfield Wheat is of interest to BASF.

More... these folks spend millions on research and Dev and need to know how the future of wheat is going... to develop new control options.

Basf has a data base that is factual and knows Western Canadian commercial growers of milling wheat...

From this data base can select reliable sample that is not biased... after all they want to know future trends... and are NOT doing a political exercise to please anyone.

Results found are 3rd party certified and real capital $$$ are being spent on future projects built on these results.

A billon $$$ industry. Rational and logical conclusions were reached from this poll IMHO.

Cheers!

Comment

Obviously Hopper, BASF knows a thousand
                  times more about you, then you know of
                  them!

Comment

It really doesnt matter the numbers that support
                    or not. Willagro can do a poll and easily find 400
                    farmers who support the board. The fact is that
                    by the grace of someone, freedom and equality
                    has been granted to all. No argument about that!

Comment

We can do all the polls we want but the proof will be in the pudding. Farmers will speak with their wheat. If the CWB buys >15% of the 2012 wheat crop I would be shocked. The devil is in the details.

Comment

I actually may strongly agree with the poll, or maybe should say somewhat, probably not somewhat disagree. OK analyse that. LOL. Maybe I should poll ipsos workers mates and check out their love life. BSAF has no business about the CWB and I don't answer surveys. I don't do them I tell them. The CWB is in a bad position right now and I don't think we need BSAF sticking their nose into farmer's busines that they have no business being into. The CWB monopoly is long gone. If BSAF wants to know anything about me they can bloody well ask me directly. I put up with the Dupont guy.

Comment

Tomifatall4cwb think about it what is the purpose of even publicizing this poll. They should have kept it secret. Did the CWB do them any harm with blocking Clearfield? So do we now get Clearfield wheat? Which seed growers are to gain from the multiplication.? Is it registered yet?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...