• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watch the Canola Carry

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can agree with the opportunity to pay down debt and reduce interest, but to cash out the canola and put the money in the bank at dismal rates hardly pays. I am not arguing and see your point. But everyone's circumstances are different.... that is why I compared it to COP which is slightly different for everyone as well. Sometimes the market will factor in the "loss of opportunity expense"...carry, but it would never amount to a dime a month at one time(far out). I like gambling on the physical. Between futures gains and positive basis adjustments... there can be some nice premiums...but you have to watch.

There are some "dismal" canola prices now(harvest thief pricing in affect) but I bet at least $11.00 street commodity canola is in the cards in the future. There is my two cents.....

Comment

Yes, know your COP and how badly you need the income for expenses/payments.

I don't gamble but I like farming. There's a riddle!

Comment

farmaholic . . . lets say Jan canola is at $470/MT

a Jan canola $460 call is; $10 in-the-money
        a Jan canola $470 call is; at-the-money
        a Jan canola $480 call is; $10 out-of-the-money.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...