• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A comment worth pulling to the top of the threads

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A comment worth pulling to the top of the threads

I served as one of the so called "jackasses" for some time, but I am personally not offended by your statements.I have met many excellent farmer reps who put the welfare and defence of the individual producers as their utmost concern. Others simply were looking for something to do as the next generation took over the farm or they had scaled back enough so they had time to get away.*Fact is we need active producers who can think for themselves and articulate their thoughts in defence of the interests of the farmers they represent. Beyond the provincial commissions the national organizations are heavily represented by the trade and by the life science companies that have their own self interest at heart.I have challenged to make waves on issues that more clearly strengthen the position of producers in the balance we strike with the other value chain partners in our industry and from that have felt their wrath.*We send a pile of money to these commissions from our farm and have yet to ask for rebates for which we are allowed in our jurisdiction.*We have chosen instead to be active and have our voices heard. I suggest more do the same.

By Northfarmer...

So you stand up for yourself and fellow Producers and you pay the consequences? Nice!
    Sad part is we actually don't know/understand how powerful we could be as a united force instead of almost powerless individuals.... just think of the size and weight of the boot on Industry's throat we could apply!

Multi billion dollar industry.

New definition of farmer: "wealth distributor" probably the only way to keep it is to cash out.

I called the ag minister's office the other day about concerns of what graincos are buying and trucking grain off farm to make their logistics work.

But never mind the infrastructure costs.

All I got in response is they hadn't heard of any issues yet.

Why think forward.....let's wait for a crisis.

If you cherry pick the top end of the crop .... they are doing what they said they are supposed to do ..but for months they have known about poorer quality issues.

Comment

Its funny farmers are like the cows heading down the line at the meat packing plants they think all is great all is good turn the corner and then the bolt gun and its lights out.

If any farmer actually doesn't or can't grasp what is going on with consolidation in our industry. Its not for our benefit.

its so one company controls all and you work cradle to grave for them. You take all the risks and they get all the rewards.

We all lucked out the last few years either making out like a bandit or just scraping buy with floods but we all survived.

What if its a normal below production year and the rest of the world keeps over producing how fracking smart will we all be.

Low prices and no volume to sell.

Then watch the ponzi scheme come crashing down.

One more year of heavy world production and I fear were in for years of hurt with low prices and escalating costs.

Look out boys its going to get real interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
        If any farmer actually doesn't or can't grasp what is going on with consolidation in our industry. Its not for our benefit.

its so one company controls all and you work cradle to grave for them. You take all the risks and they get all the rewards.
        Yet most of you on here mock the NFU - the one organisation that has produced detailed papers documenting the damage done by consolidation within agriculture, has highlighted this for decades, brought it to the attention of politicians tirelessly and tried to get farmers to band together to fight it.

You've mostly fought these attempts off bravely though feeling each of you individually is big enough on your own (or at least big enough that they will take your neighbour down first and you might be able to take over his land). You make your bed, you lie in it. Maybe its time to finally smarten up as an industry and realise that we are better working together?

Comment

I think it will take another generation.....too many have daddy's and grand daddy's money to piss away before they understand the law of diminishing returns.

Comment

Sorry, two extremes represented here between the sky is falling, and the sky has fallen. I subscribe to neither.

If you are paying year end taxes, you are not hurting, so get over it.

Comment

OK, lets start over.

This is the quote and sentence I was hoping you would pick up and what I was commenting on. Grassy got it.

"I have challenged to make waves on issues that more clearly strengthen the position of producers in the balance we strike with the other value chain partners in our industry and from that have felt their wrath."

Sounds like there is no good place to do this kind of thing, an open internet forum or even on a commission board! I guess when someone is threatening to steal their lunch money....

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                I served as one of the so called "jackasses" for some time, but I am personally not offended by your statements.I have met many excellent farmer reps who put the welfare and defence of the individual producers as their utmost concern. Others simply were looking for something to do as the next generation took over the farm or they had scaled back enough so they had time to get away.*Fact is we need active producers who can think for themselves and articulate their thoughts in defence of the interests of the farmers they represent. Beyond the provincial commissions the national organizations are heavily represented by the trade and by the life science companies that have their own self interest at heart.I have challenged to make waves on issues that more clearly strengthen the position of producers in the balance we strike with the other value chain partners in our industry and from that have felt their wrath.*We send a pile of money to these commissions from our farm and have yet to ask for rebates for which we are allowed in our jurisdiction.*We have chosen instead to be active and have our voices heard. I suggest more do the same.

By Northfarmer...

So you stand up for yourself and fellow Producers and you pay the consequences? Nice!
                Sad part is we actually don't know/understand how powerful we could be as a united force instead of almost powerless individuals.... just think of the size and weight of the boot on Industry's throat we could apply!

Multi billion dollar industry.

New definition of farmer: "wealth distributor" probably the only way to keep it is to cash out.

As primary producers we will unfortunately be relegated to a market position of relative weakness compared to others in the value chain. We produce a bulk commodity undifferentiated and logistically are required to use others parties to aggregate it and eventually get it to its end use and consumption.

Yes we could participate directly and financially in the value chains beyond the farm gate and with the eventual consumers of our production but for most of us the passion is with growing and raising crops and animals.

Primary agricultural producers are a rare example of an industry displaying the competitive model of supply/demand, where by as you correctly point out we become as individuals powerless to affect the market.

It is like "herding cats" to try to get everyone on side to fight a battle in our own defense.

Comment

check your private message box northfarmer

Comment

Farmers of Canada

I know just the person to head it up.

Comment

North farmer

What market in Canada ?

5 guys sitting in Winnipeg having the Friday night beer or Sunday tea?

We are competing against people that are still working for pennies a day....with no where near the technology and with better support.

They are not using equity to stay afloat.

But the young guys can chase the high input high technology farming....they still can't compete over the long haul....

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                        North farmer

What market in Canada ?

5 guys sitting in Winnipeg having the Friday night beer or Sunday tea?

We are competing against people that are still working for pennies a day....with no where near the technology and with better support.

They are not using equity to stay afloat.

But the young guys can chase the high input high technology farming....they still can't compete over the long haul....
                        We lack effective competition in our domestic market. We have a logistics oligopoly (rail) that was for a long time hampered by a state trading agency (cwb) that produced an industry dominated by a few significant players (5 guys in Wpg) lol.

I was a young guy who with leverage and a gamble to scale up when margins were low as way to one day fulfill my dream of farming full time and giving up my career that paid for my bad habit.

My point is I was a young guy who used tech and high input to get me where I am. After 30 years of this my balance sheet affords me a life I am very content with. I have peers in different parts of Canada that have got to the same place.

That being said I will not be complacent. I plan on farming till I can not. I hope there will another generation on our farm. Things could get ugly, commodity cycles can do that.

Complacency and complaining will solve nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by northfarmer View Post
                          ............that was for a long time hampered by a state trading agency (cwb) that produced an industry dominated by a few significant players (5 guys in Wpg) lol.
                          I believe that's false - the grain industry was dominated by the same families before the CWB came into existence that dominate today. Same families that control the US grain sector to a large extent too. Can't blame this one on the CWB.

Comment

Strange, not one comment on the fact for decades the grain handling system on the prairies was totally dominated by.......farmer controlled companies and co-ops....

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                              I believe that's false - the grain industry was dominated by the same families before the CWB came into existence that dominate today. Same families that control the US grain sector to a large extent too. Can't blame this one on the CWB.
                              Fair comment. Imo they contributed did not cause. I stand corrected.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...