• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

markets

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

markets

Have we just had dead cat bounce this week or markets finally found a bottom?
    Funds appear to be buying back postions ie taking profit.
    Locally here in Australia the experts suggest 28 million tonne crop now not sure if that's biggest on record but for once I find it hard to disagree with them.

Basically once canadian harvest winds up australias will start maybe a gap there of 3 weeks early oct things will happen in west Australia.

Will weigh heavily on market capping upside one would think.

A few spots are to wet .

Thinking here on my patch we may well have wettest on record.

Best cure for low prices is low prices not sure how long that theory takes can see end users watching waiting just buying hand to mouth and when they think market has bottomed will buy 12 months supply in the elevator system so sure it increases demand but there out of market till next harvest.

We live in a area were there are many feedlots poultry farms feed mills and dairy farms, mega pig farms nall within 60 to 80 kms all to do with our climate summer scorching less disease. But once they've bought they've bought and here I am at moment building 2 by 860 tonne silos on farm questioning wether ive done right thing in a bear market.

Logic was grain at elevator hypothetically 160 at harvest I take it in 15 freight 145 on farm.
    end user buys from elevator so glencore/vittera charge end user 175 for same grain $15 per tonne out loading 2.50 per month storage plus about another 3 bucks for other charges so they basically pay $200 for there feed barley during year.

My plan is to sell them for the same 175 but theory came unravelled last year glencore we selling grain to mega endusers lmost at cost and just pocketing fees and charges made it hard for those who store on farm.

end of Saturday morning babble off to town for a grocery shop 54 kms away,how far do you guys live out from your local town were all facilities are?
    my son goes to local school 20kms away small town 500 no banks a little general store but not supermarket but not there services of above town.

Grocery store, Credit Union, NAPA (automotive), Restaurant, Pharmacy, DR. office, School K to 12, 8 km away. Similar services plus large COOP's 25 and 32 km's to other towns. Elevator is at the 32 Km place, other elevators at 56 and 72 km. 100 Km to small city, 5000 pop, more choice.

Comment

banks closing in all small town under 500 people? been happening here for last 10 years but in saying that were almost a cashless society nowadays

Comment

Back to marketing our grain prices at moment so reliant on currency moves hit 77 this week but back to 76 now.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/the-aussie-dollar-resembled-a-rollercoaster-overnight-2016-9

Comment

My farm helper and I were discussing the grain price bids listed in the Weber Communications newsletter. He claims he was selling feed barley for more $/bushel in 1970 than today. A big Canada crop, big US crop and big Aussie crop should feed the world no problem.
          My question today is, if a farmer is losing a little money on every bushel of grain he produces, does he just try to make it up on volume?

Comment

right on volume may make up shortfall but what about 2017? Guys got this year ok oh well we will plant wheat gain next year???
            we all getting better at producing more grain in any given set of circumstances, what does the world want most cheap food or cheap energy......cheap food always, I was super bullish ag for last 5 years but last 2 have got me wondering and when I was at school 70s and 80 wheat was gonna be worth $500/600 per tonne by 2000 yeah right I was gonna screw 500 or 600 women when I was 18 as well, neither has happened lol

Comment

In my earlier years, world grain surplus seemed to last for several years at a time.
              Governments often introduced programs without much success in limiting production.
              Recent years, we have gone back and forth from surplus to shortage more often.
              Grain and oilseed futures prices suggest this trend will continue with grains up and oilseeds down in next couple of years.

Comment

Posted bids for quality wheat were up Friday locally.

Quality(grade,protein or both) is the only game in town this year that will see profitable prices. Otherwise DITW. It won't matter what it yielded.

Comment

Think the peak was 2012, been going down since, how many years to go, NO sign of reduced supply, could be years! 80% of the time in my career, TOO MUCH SUPPLY. World has TOO MUCH food, oh isn't that what 7 billion want, enough to eat? So why is food security NOT valued? Farmers should get huge bonus for preventing food shortages and instead get SLAPPED with money losing prices. Society/markets are just CRUEL and ass backwards!
                  Usually those that do a great job get a bonus.
                  Last edited by fjlip; Sep 10, 2016, 08:51.

Comment

Funter Harrison has been doing less and less and been making more and more....while all stripes of government applaud him.

Edit. More politically correct name spelling. Lol.
                    Last edited by bucket; Sep 10, 2016, 11:58.

Comment

Too much production? How much grain is disposed of (thrown away) each year because of this so called surplus? Farmers got to start questioning this kind of reasoning for low prices.

Comment

Funter Harison is just following the rest of society, everybody wants to do less for more
                        Watch economies around the world start to , or continue to fold with that problem.
                        Unions in Canada think that's their trump card - Fukin retards will help drown tax payers along with many other leaches here in Canada .
                        Greece times 2

Comment

Furrow

Unions can't be blamed on everything....they negotiate with management. ...management drags their feet on getting shit done as well.

As an example ....contracts have an end date .....why does management not have a plan to settle before it....rather than paying back pay?

Why didn't management at CP get their locomotive power back earlier in 2013?

Just a different view. But I agree with you on the other view as well in cases.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...