• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Midnight Crawl

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midnight Crawl

It's midnight. How many are still out? There are lots of lights around us.

Was too tough to even get into the combine by 8 tonight, should have quit long before that.

Comment

Just pulled the pin for the night. Cant burn the candle at both ends without some kind of consequences. Stay safe if you are still rolling!

Comment

Done for the night. 60% done. looks like a couple tenths by Monday AM

Comment

Down to two combines, tractor and cart, 2 semis, but as long as there's lights a few miles over....

Comment

Got all the swathed cereals picked up in anticipation of rain...doesn't look like we're going to get much....let's see if we can get the last quarter of standing durum off before the next threat. Went til about 2 a.m. last night and 1 tonight...we'd still be out there if we had cereals in a swath...ya ya I know! Who swaths these days.

Comment

Coulda, woulda, shoulda, mmmmm........ will the canola swaths withstand 70 km/h wind gusts. I hate farming! So do you let the durum which wasn't "that" good to start with lay out and potentially get wet(in the swath) to the point of not drying before the next threat endangers it? Winds forecast to come from the west..... canola swathed east/west, fairly well anchored. Maybe the swaths need some rain on them before the hurricane starts to make them heavier....sick twisted thinking.

Comment

Big day today. Maybe we will avoid the showers overnight and we can have a chance at the rest of the standing durum in the morning.

GN all.

Comment

Originally posted by 4GFarms View Post
                  Just pulled the pin for the night. Cant burn the candle at both ends without some kind of consequences. Stay safe if you are still rolling!
                  Thats right 4g easy to lose good productivity chasing late night poor productivity. Cant operate on 0 hours of sleep. Me home at 2am at farm by 7am, but try getting the hired help to do that. They get pretty miserable pretty quick 16 hours a day seems to be about their limit. Pretty tough to get morning parts, dump trucks, service and fuel combines, do the repairs and be rolling again by 9am by yourself.
                  Last edited by biglentil; Sep 18, 2016, 08:25.

Comment

Went till 1 am, sons were home, finished a quarter of canola, very dry, 6%Mt. Rain was heading our way, but humidity was only 70%. At 77% combined, most combine lights went out after midnight, only one left on barley when we quit. Hoping to miss most of the rain... we have been quitting by 10pm cause we're TIRED!

Comment

Working late always causes me late starts.

I laugh now at the great headlights on combines ....I rarely use them.

I hate starting a field at night....you just don't know where a washout appeared since your last pass.
                      Last edited by bucket; Sep 18, 2016, 08:23.

Comment

Nice light rain this morning..if we would have needed it?
                        Quit at 12:30..13.5 hrs.on the combine was enough for the wife .even though she wanted to keep going . safety becomes a major factor.only 108 of canola to.

Comment

All wheat done yesterday , moved to canola again last night. Last 30% to go. Got all wheat dry the past few days. The weather ahead looks good for canola - a lot cooler.
                          The last wheat still a #1 14-15 pro.
                          The worst wheat was our first seeded taken off 2 weeks ago , should get a 2 tho
                          Regardless not much money in wheat.
                          AC Brandon was better than the Carberry by 5 bus and held a #1 . Slightly better pro.

Comment

We never go as late as some, but we have young families to go home to and hopefully wake up with
                            But we don't farm a ton of acres either

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                              Working late always causes me late starts.

I laugh now at the great headlights on combines ....I rarely use them.

I hate starting a field at night....you just don't know where a washout appeared since your last pass.
                              It is normal to do 30% of harvest under lights or in this area we would never get done. Noon starts are the NORM with usually 90% humidity! No washouts here either, too flat.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...