• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBC - Jim Prentice killed in plane crash

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CBC - Jim Prentice killed in plane crash

Some shocking news today. RIP Jim Prentice.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/jim-prentice-plane-crash-killed-1.3804941

I did not know him but have friends who spent time with him.

Sad news.

R.I.P.

Comment

4 in that plane?

Comment

He was a federal politician that tried to parachute in and save the provincial PC's and failed horribly leaving us with the NDP as his legacy. I personally do not think his actions gutting the Wild Rose Caucus was honorable and that's what I will remember.
        Who can name the others that died in the crash? Sympathy to all the families (including his) but the big picture is nobody really cares (as you can tell by the number of posts).

Comment

Four guys returning from golf trip in private jet - one of his golf buddies was the pilot. Leaving at almost 10pm.

I wonder if it was icing related?

Comment

"Initial examination suggests the aircraft was destroyed from high deceleration forces after a vertical descent,"

Hmmm sounds like fancy jargon for a nosedive into the ground. Icing may have been a factor but pretty unlikely to be the cause on a jet aircraft. I would say IFR conditions (in fog or cloud), too steep of a climb and stalled it, then put it into a flat spin or spiral dive. Very disorientating even for a seasoned pilot, only have guages that are spinning wildly to figure it out. Instinct is to use aileron which only tightens a flat spin, need full opposite rudder and nose down attitude to regain airspeed. Same thing that killed JFK junior not enough regular practice with the blinders on, have to be constantly scanning the instrument pannel (inner ear plays tricks on ya). Ego kills more pilots than any other factor. They probably should have spent the night but their wives would have killed em instead.
            Last edited by biglentil; Oct 16, 2016, 03:44.

Comment

Sounds like biglentil has a pilot's license! Way to go and good for you. Always seemed like it would have been a neat thing to do.....to see things from a different perspective.
              Last edited by farmaholic; Oct 16, 2016, 06:44.

Comment

You bet haven't used it in 5 years got into absolutely terrible weather on the way back from calgary complete whiteout. Another small plane crashed carrying 5 passengers just 50kms away on the sask/alberta border, we had to be the only 2 dumb enough to be in the air that night. Got the scare of the stall buzzer in the whiteout conditions. Even started to think guages could be malfunctioning but did not bet against them. Found a small break in the weather over moosejaw airport where i could faintly see the ground, miracle really. Tapped my Mic 5 times and was so happy to see the runway lights fire up
                . Got her on the runway safely, one of those kiss the ground moments. I'm glad I did not try to make it to YQR. Traffic control will always leave it to the pilots sole discretion.

The occasional nice weather joy ride is entertaining in a small plane, but for travel I prefer 4 wheels stuck on the ground.
                Last edited by biglentil; Oct 16, 2016, 12:57.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...