• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wrong place for this thread i know

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wrong place for this thread i know

Any of you guys use a smoker box when grilling or roasting in your bbr/grill/kettle.
    Ive got a broil king love it but cant seem to get smoky flavour either burns the chips or doesn't impart the flavour? to hot too cold is obvious answer but cant get it correct.
    Yep soak the chips.

thanks in advance

I use a Bradley digital smoker for all of my meat cooking. Works perfect every time. The only meat i do on the barbq is steaks and i have done those in the smoker too. I also smoke about 150 lbs of homemade sausage every fall. This summer i hope to build a Texas style barbq smoker out of a old propane tank with a firebox on the side.

Comment

Absolutely perfect place for your question Mallee. A topic not likely to bring out the banshees. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by AllisWD45 View Post
        I use a Bradley digital smoker for all of my meat cooking. Works perfect every time. The only meat i do on the barbq is steaks and i have done those in the smoker too. I also smoke about 150 lbs of homemade sausage every fall. This summer i hope to build a Texas style barbq smoker out of a old propane tank with a firebox on the side.

You have my full attention. What meat or mix do you make into sausage? Is it frying sausage or just straight summer sausage sticks?

I'm thinking about butchering our own meat again (besides the chickens we raise) because the regulations around even getting an animal to the slaughter house are beyond insane. Not to mention that it now costs at least $250 to get a $150 hog butchered and between $400-$600 to get a beef butchered, depending on weight.

And we already have the electric meat saw and grinder so...

Comment

mallee . . . try soaking the wood chips in water first. Slows the smoking process.
          Low heat is much more effective for smoking in my view.

Comment

Burnt. We make sausage from beef pork and venison. Usually about 50-50 beef pork or 50-50 pork with venison
            We make all our own spice mixes with almost no salt due to the usual health issues. They come out great only don't have that fancy made in town look. We smoke some to complete done and some cold smoke to be cooked and some types we freeze unsmoked. They are then fried or roasted.
            We raise our own grass fed beef (please don't go there nothing wrong with grain fed we did that for 30 years just don't have any grain on the little acreage) and get grain fed pork from a neighbour. Chickens are our own fed some grain but raised in tractors In our Bradley we smoke briskets, tenderloins, roasts and whole chickens and turkeys. We make our own brines and rubs for everything.
            We like the digital Bradley and the no mess wood pucks. Just set it and leave it to do its thing. We built a 4x8 heated insulated smoke house so we can use our Bradley year round. The Bradley is a slow process but well worth it.
            We want to build the big charcoal fired smoker to cook large quantities for larger functions.
            We spent a few weeks in the hills of Texas this winter the mecca of barbq smoking and learned a lot. If ever there you must try the world famous Franklin Barbq restaraunt in Austin. 2 to 4 hour wait in line but well worth the experience.

Comment

Allis, that is some great information. Long ago we used to have a smoke house on the farm, poplar used for smoking, also some wild fruit trees. Lots of double smoked bacon and pork belly. Got get going again, keep us informed.

Comment

I bought a 3 phase locker plant at auction once. Maybe that's something I could do with it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0741.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	765456Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0909.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	765455Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1273.jpg
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	765454
                  Ribs in the Bradley and the smoke shack. Finally figured out how to post a picture

Comment

man those ribs look nice.
                    and ditto cost of butchering

yeah errol soak the wood chips in red wine actually reckon I will get another smoker box.

Comment

Alliswd yeah bradleys are here in Australia may have to go to big smoke and check em out.

Seems the Bradley smoker original is very popular as well presume its gauges rather than digital settings??
                      Help me out there are they as good?
                      $300 bucks cheaper.

Seems it can create more heat than other electric brands.

So you can put a 4 to 5 pound roast beef or pork in there at 6 am and come home in evening take it out rest it and consume?

Are propane ones any good any reccomendations ?

But like convience of electric is it costly to run and does it take a fair while to heat up?

ive heard of guys putting steak in for 18 hours at very low but cant do this with a Bradley 10 hours see it out?

So in a nutshell soak roast etc over night then put in Bradley jobs done?

Comment

Mallee. The bradley original is a good smoker It is fairly accurate temperature wise. I had one and went to the bigger 6 rack digital because of more capacity for smoking sausage. The only drawback is same guts in bigger one so less heat retention if you open door to check etc.
                        Also the digital has a poor sensor for temperature. Mine is about 30F out but i do like the timer for both the cooking and smoke dispenser. Takes about an hour to bring smoker to operating temp. Judging by some of your posts in your climate would be a lot less. Probably don't even have to plug the smoker in LOL.
                        As far as electric versus propane not sure but with a 500 watt heating tube i suspect it would be cheaper and safer than propane at least with the price of propane here.
                        A 5 pound roast smoked at 225 -250F soaked overnight would take 6 to 7 hours to get to medium done.about 1hr 15 min per pound.
                        The ribs in the picture had a rub applied and took 6 hours@ 250.
                        I have done 9-10 pound whole chickens soaked overnight in 8 hours @250-260F.
                        I usually smoke for the first 2 hours or so depending on how much smoke flavor you want. Each wood biscut burns about 20 minutes. After the first 2 hours the meat is cooked enough that it can't absorb much more smoke
                        My project for next saturday is Montreal meat brisket. Has to be soaked for 5 days then smoked for about 12 hours thats for a 10 pound brisket.
                        If you go to the Bradley website there is a forum that provides lots of info and recipies.

Comment

Thanks mate was wondering if the smaller one had same internals and I thought it did.

They are Canadian made or chinese?

Some on forums suggest smaller is better regarding heat retention etc.

Seems bradley or masterbuilt are the two choices wd
                          Last edited by malleefarmer; Mar 19, 2017, 13:05.

Comment

Bradley's are made in USA.

Comment

lashed out and bought one wd 4 rack only.

so I buy a 3 kg piece of pork what do you do wd apply rub and fridge it overnight or marinate ovenrnight?

ive cooked slow and low on my broil king but not smoked of course.

Do you wrap in foil for last hour or so or just leave naked?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...