• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on variable rate seeding and fertility in canola?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have been slowly ramping up vari rating seed and fert. we use 5 zones on most fields. We are using the same fertilizer as before but putting it on the more productive areas. For canola we have vari rated fert more than seed. Lentils we lower seedig rates in low spots and have higher rates on the higher ground. We have ramped up soil testing quite a bit so we know what we need for fertilizer and not guessing. I don't like the outfits that rely on imagery only and don't verify whats in the soil. Soil testing and imagery go hand in hand imo.

Comment

Les Henry has a very good article in the last Grainews about variable rate technology.

Comment

Plowboy, did they show you a solid ROI, and if so, how?

Comment

I realize this is a canola discussion, but just heard Wheat Pete speak a few days ago. The biggest surprise to me was his data that showed wheat seeding rate had far less impact on yield than I would have thought.

I was expecting VR seeding etc etc. and that wasn't case at all.

Biggest takeaways for me were seed early as possible, two fungicides (flag and fusarium)and higher N Rates but split applied, and higher background rates of Phos. (That is tough one for us, don't seem to be able to build. He predicted tougher times growing wheat if people continue to grow soybeans as it drain phos levels especially if guys are replenishing.

Comment

This post was created +4 years ago. With almost half a decade in hindsight, where are your thoughts and experiences on this topic? Is vrt the "silver bullet", what works so far and what doesn't work well? Thanks

Originally posted by theplowboy View Post
            We attended a Farmers edge session this week and are thinking about trying some variable rate in canola on some farms to test it out. Seems logical.

They say a lot of farmers are doing it already.

Any one generating results you can share?

Comment

Most BTO's doing this, hard to say if yields are better, everyone BRAGS, but crop maturity is more even= straight cutting.

Comment

Yes, please share your results, those of you that have tried it. I'm considering it. I'm looking at using CropPro consulting. Their costs are very reasonable and my drill is capable. Not really looking for another step to complicate things or result in down time though.

Comment

We’ve been doing it for 3-4 years now, and have learned a couple things.

1. Not a silver bullet and it’s not something I would call “ low hanging fruit”. Focus on your inputs, drainage, weed management etc.

2. Works better for larger fields (400+ acres)

3. Evens crop maturity out for cereals and oilseeds.

Comment

This year will be my third year variable rating my Nitrogen and my first year of variable rating seed and fert. I do about 1/2 of my acres, I am not set up all that well in regards to my yield mapping so I can't give you a clear answer yield wise. However the first year of variable rate nitrogen I absolutely notice how much more evenly the crop matured, especially canola, and for me who straight cuts every thing that is important. As far as fert savings there is a bit, I purchased a different drill for the spring and the numbers my agrologist and I worked out I will save about $16,000 on 2200acs. and that was just calculating fert costs no seed saving costs were added to that. So what I will save this spring will more than cover mapping of the other 3000acs this fall.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...