• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idiot Liberals

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottom line is ...we are not in a free market. ....

A free and open market allows you to deliver any day as a part of the open market price discovery .....doesn't happen here.

The supply managed sector has a shelf life....all that happens by eliminating it is more product ends up getting thrown out.

I think they could redesign the pricing mechanism in supply managed sectors....milk never goes down even though the parts that determine price do...fuel grain etc. ..but milk like bread stays up.

Comment

I think milk is somewhat reasonably priced. $1.15 per liter($4.59 SuperStore Regina for 4 liters) Bottled water probably costs as much, gas and diesel. Pop....

Cheese is a stupid price or just about anything made of milk, but fluid milk is reasonable as far as I'm concerned

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
        We are either a free market economy or we aren't. US may make that decision for us. I am actually surprised that the quota system has survived this long.
        Is the US a free market economy? In dairy they regularly bail out producers with tax payer money. At least two $20 million bail out programs in 2016.

Originally posted by bucket View Post

I think they could redesign the pricing mechanism in supply managed sectors....milk never goes down even though the parts that determine price do...fuel grain etc. ..but milk like bread stays up.
        Careful there you are talking about two things - the retail (store) price of milk and what the producer gets. The store price may not come down but don't blame that on supply management or the dairy farmer. The price the farmer receives does go up and down depending on the production costs they use in the pricing formula.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
          I think milk is somewhat reasonably priced. $1.15 per liter($4.59 SuperStore Regina for 4 liters) Bottled water probably costs as much, gas and diesel. Pop....

Cheese is a stupid price or just about anything made of milk, but fluid milk is reasonable as far as I'm concerned
          Milk is not just reasonable - it is CHEAP. By any standard. Even with the price of quota worked in, if it is.

Because we had a cow for a while...gotta be there twice a day, takes good feed or the cow falls apart, takes a lot of time to milk a cow, and keep the utensils clean...

If anyone complains about the price of milk, go get a cow.

There are truckloads of problems with supply management, but the price of milk is NOT one of them.

Comment

It makes no sense to invest in dairy or poultry operations and then see prices crash because of oversupply and cheaper imports from countries where the cost of production is lower. Unless you want to see most of the small to medium sized operations disappear? Most businesses try to manage supply and not sell below the cost of production. At least with grain crops you can store surplus production or switch to other crops during low priced periods.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
              Milk is not just reasonable - it is CHEAP. By any standard. Even with the price of quota worked in, if it is.

Because we had a cow for a while...gotta be there twice a day, takes good feed or the cow falls apart, takes a lot of time to milk a cow, and keep the utensils clean...

If anyone complains about the price of milk, go get a cow.

There are truckloads of problems with supply management, but the price of milk is NOT one of them.
              I don't want a cow, but the price of dairy is way to high. Both milk, cheese, and butter cost twice as much as it does south of the border. Not only that, but the quality of the cheese and butter is much lower. Cheese is rubbery and butter is hard as a rock. This is all a result of not giving the consumer a choice and choosing production methods that are cheaper and result in a lower quality product. If I had a choice, I know where my dairy products would come from.

As far as the cost to produce a liter of milk, it would drop significantly if supply management were dissolved and the restraint on the sizes of dairies were removed.

I think supply management is probably pretty good for the farmer, but it's terrible for the consumer. Let the consumer choose without facing extremely high tariffs, and dairy quotas would become worthless overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharecropper View Post
                I don't want a cow, but the price of dairy is way to high. Both milk, cheese, and butter cost twice as much as it does south of the border. Not only that, but the quality of the cheese and butter is much lower. Cheese is rubbery and butter is hard as a rock. This is all a result of not giving the consumer a choice and choosing production methods that are cheaper and result in a lower quality product. If I had a choice, I know where my dairy products would come from.

As far as the cost to produce a liter of milk, it would drop significantly if supply management were dissolved and the restraint on the sizes of dairies were removed.

I think supply management is probably pretty good for the farmer, but it's terrible for the consumer. Let the consumer choose without facing extremely high tariffs, and dairy quotas would become worthless overnight.
                Careful what you wish for.... Same places in the USA dairy is more some places less...

Get rid of quota and new Zealand will ship us reconstituted dairy products that taste like crap.

Dairyland milk is way better than Lucerne

Comment

My point is if the price of quota was set and not figured in to the price of milk the consumer would get a cheaper price and the farmer would still make as much money, if he didn't have to pay an exorbident price for quota Does anyone know the going price of quota today ??

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                    Careful what you wish for.... Same places in the USA dairy is more some places less...

Get rid of quota and new Zealand will ship us reconstituted dairy products that taste like crap.

Dairyland milk is way better than Lucerne
                    Wow I thought I was the only one that thought lucerne products were garbage. If the grocery store I'm at doesn't have dairy land I'll get my stuff and go out of my way to get dairyland products somewhere else. I also prefer milk in cartons not plastic. I think the plastic has an effect on the taste myself anyway. I don't know what shit tastes like but if I had to guess it would resemble lucerne milk!

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                      Just wait... we will be giving away supply management in exchange for "environmental concessions" in NAFTA negotiations...

Something the Conservatives never did... supply management works well for a sectors that work with limited shelf life items... the system works well leave it the f** alone.
                      Klause after reading up on this briefly it appears Canada has a social justice warrior as our head representative.
                      Canada is pushing environmental and climate change issues, labour demands, gender issues, protection for the CBC and media/ printing, etc.

Why can't we focus on free trade and creating jobs and improving Canada's economy.......or is that too much to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                        Klause after reading up on this briefly it appears Canada has a social justice warrior as our head representative.
                        Canada is pushing environmental and climate change issues, labour demands, gender issues, protection for the CBC and media/ printing, etc.

Why can't we focus on free trade and creating jobs and improving Canada's economy.......or is that too much to ask.
                        Yup.... Don't worry. This winter economic crash will fix Trudeau

Comment

I agree, also get rid of SM all of the sudden we might have a poultry export program. Cheap grain in western Canada to feed and lots of wide open spaces for barns and spreading shit. SM is costing Canada big $$

Klause if you are talking out both sides of your mouth. On one thread you are a libertarian on another one you are supporting trade barriers to keep out imports and an inflated price for sm commodities. SM is good for farmers, but is is damaging to the Canadian economy.

Comment

I do agree though don't give at away for nothing and also that the cwb thing was a joke some how the saudis and the gov of canada ended up with farmers money. But I am still happoy it is gone. Grain companies are thrilled too they have taken most of the extra money we should be making off wheat .

Comment

Why don't you want a cow, Sharecropper?

Comment

Burnt asks "If anyone complains about the price of milk, go get a cow." then asks why someone wouldn't want a cow. Well it is because if you try to sell the milk from that cow someone with a gun will come to your door and demand that you stop selling milk. A funny bunch of selective libertarians here.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...